5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima Retrofitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 PM

2002 Maxima Retrofitting

I got my maxima in 08 here is what i have done so far

passenger side Wheel Hub
2 Oxygen Sensor
replaced radiator
replaced all motor mounts
replaced KYB GR-2 struts and new boots
replaced valve covers
switched to Akebono Street Performance Pads pads and Centric premium rotors
changed spark plugs
changed engine coils
and normal routine stuff oil,tires, etc

Current issues

• it is believed that the ecm is dying (symtoms when trying to accelerate sometimes it idles out and the abs light comes on)
  • Small oil leak somewhere and engine is burning oil (it needs about 3 or 3 1/2 quarts of oil before a oil change on a 3,000 mile schedule)
  • Pre-cat needs to be changed

i would like to keep it long term. Things i would like to do is
  • upgrade the sound without a amp i like how new cars are they have good sound without a amp
  • get all the interior clean ( i have the cloth type interior)
  • Steering wheel repair its starting to fall apart slowly
I would like some suggestions on how to address the issues and long term items....

Last edited by boost4age; 06-27-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:01 PM

ummmm, none of that stuff is 'retrofitting'
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 PM

i dont like the flashy stuff rims, dropping the car and all that. I like stock and reliability! I guess what i am looking for is suggestions on how to solve the current issues listed, ideas on the things i would like to do and how to keep it in better shape.....
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by boost4age
i dont like the flashy stuff rims, dropping the car and all that. I like stock and reliability! I guess what i am looking for is suggestions on how to solve the current issues listed, ideas on the things i would like to do and how to keep it in better shape.....
Fix the major issues, that is a lot of oil usage. Maintenance. I wouldn't worry about whether you want flashy stuff or not when your car is falling apart.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM

How many miles on your car ?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Firstly, you should have posted that then, not 'retrofitting', it's misleading, the title of your thread should be a brief description of what you are posting/asking

Second, I've fixed your post and hopefully answered your questions with a little common sense and a small bit of knowledge from lurking on the .ORG:

Current issues

• it is believed that the ecm is dying (symtoms when trying to accelerate sometimes it idles out and the abs light comes on)
  • Small oil leak somewhere and engine is burning oil (it needs about 3 or 3 1/2 quarts of oil before a oil change on a 3,000 mile schedule)
  • Pre-cat needs to be changed

i would like to keep it long term. Things i would like to do is
  • Diagnose and repair the engine control issue, a lot of searching on here should provide you with an answer to your problem, common ones is MAFS, and IACV, if the IACV is left long enough, it's been said that it can 'burn up' the ECM, that is not confirmed though from anything I've read, I suspect it may be a rumour that the Dealer uses to replace ECM's (high cost)
  • Repair external oil leak, and install catch can system/bypass system (search stickies and forums, LOTS of info on this, oil burning in the 3.5 is very common)
  • Replace pre-cat with an aftermarket alternative
I would like some suggestions on how to address the issues and long term items....

Putting a stereo, cleaning up, etc, etc, are all tempting things especially on a new car, but you have problems with this car, fix them FIRST, otherwise you may be dumping money into a car for no reason, the car may not be worth fixing if it needs major work.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by mrpopo573
Fix the major issues, that is a lot of oil usage. Maintenance. I wouldn't worry about whether you want flashy stuff or not when your car is falling apart.
Maintenance is all i really been doing. i feel like its at a point to where i make it how i would like it to be or get rid of it. I read in other threads that our engines have a issue with bad seals? Or something that is causing these engines to burn oil?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
How many miles on your car ?
it has about 128,000 on the clock
Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 PM

ECM burn outs are not a dealer generated myth. There are a few very reputable Maxima ECU rebuilders for that very reason, and I've dealt with my own ECU woes. Search ECU and you'll find several threads with photos of burned out Mosfet drivers.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 PM

wut type of leds did u used 4 the climate contro
Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 PM

ECM burn outs are not a dealer generated myth. There are a few very reputable Maxima ECU rebuilders for that very reason, and I've dealt with my own ECU woes. Search ECU and you'll find several threads with photos of burned out Mosfet drivers.

Are you saying that i should get it rebuilt instead getting a new one?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Are you saying that i should get it rebuilt?
Pull your ECU and visually inspect it. What trouble codes do you have? Your pre cats could be causing any and all power/driveability issues you have.

See this thread for ECU photos:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...d-seconds.html
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by isandres8884
wut type of leds did u used 4 the climate contro
Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Firstly, you should have posted that then, not 'retrofitting', it's misleading, the title of your thread should be a brief description of what you are posting/asking

Second, I've fixed your post and hopefully answered your questions with a little common sense and a small bit of knowledge from lurking on the .ORG:

Putting a stereo, cleaning up, etc, etc, are all tempting things especially on a new car, but you have problems with this car, fix them FIRST, otherwise you may be dumping money into a car for no reason, the car may not be worth fixing if it needs major work.
I agree with what you said as far as the fixing the major issues(oil burning) if they can be fixed....before dealing with interior
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Pull your ECU and visually inspect it. What trouble codes do you have? Your pre cats could be causing any and all power/driveability issues you have.

the odd thing is there are codes but related to the pre-cat and something else that i cant re-call right now. But i didnt see anything related to the ecu, how could the pre-cat cause those issues? trying to accelerate and it idles out and the abs light comes on?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM

the odd thing is there are codes but related to the pre-cat and something else that i cant re-call right now. But i didnt see anything related to the ecu, how could the pre-cat cause those issues? trying to accelerate and it idles out and the abs light comes on?
Do you have gas mileage and power problems? What do you mean by "idle out." An ABS light should be just for an ABS problem. Get the codes written down.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Do you have gas mileage and power problems? What do you mean by "idle out." An ABS light should be just for an ABS problem. Get the codes written down.
when i say idle out i mean like i'm driving and i try and step on the gas the tachometer drops to 0 and the car wont rev. it will roll to a complete stop with the abs light on. From what i was told and read on this site that would be an ecm problem.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM

I know for sure that one of the codes were p420 Catalyst system efficiency
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM

when i say idle out i mean like i'm driving and i try and step on the gas the tachometer drops to 0 and the car wont rev. it will roll to a complete stop with the abs light on. From what i was told and read on this site that would be an ecm problem.
So the car dies, right? I would change the IACV and do the idle relearn. But it sounds like you might need a mechanics opinion if you feel overwhelmed.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 PM

So the car dies, right? I would change the IACV and do the idle relearn. But it sounds like you might need a mechanics opinion if you feel overwhelmed.
Did that already they put me on to the idea that it could be the ecu so i came to the forums to see but then you mention that the pre-cat could be the problem. I saw this being discussed before about clogged pre-cats causing engines to die....i did a google search and found this http://www.nissanforums.com/qg18-1-8...ml#post1289145

i wondering if its possible to run the engine with that pre-cat off to see if it runs how it should....but if its clogged it should be obvious right?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Did that already they put me on to the idea that it could be the ecu so i came to the forums to see but then you mention that the pre-cat could be the problem. I saw this being discussed before about clogged pre-cats causing engines to die....i did a google search and found this http://www.nissanforums.com/qg18-1-8...ml#post1289145

i wondering if its possible to run the engine with that pre-cat off to see if it runs how it should....but if its clogged it should be obvious right?
This is beyond me, as to whether you can run without it. I believe you can't, and that the engine needs that o2 sensor reading downstream for correct operation. I defer to another more experienced member on here. Someone will know.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Bad *** Newb

Your pre cats could be causing any and all power/driveability issues you have.

+1 million - You can go from running fine to barely running/blown engine in literally no time flat. You don't **** with precats (or main cat for that matter). Gut em or headers.

Bad rings or not, I bet you're burning most of that oil b/c of the immense back pressure of clogged cats.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 06-27-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Bad *** Newb

This is beyond me, as to whether you can run without it. I believe you can't, and that the engine needs that o2 sensor reading downstream for correct operation. I defer to another more experienced member on here. Someone will know.
It won't need it until the engine is warm and even then I bet it goes back to a default type map if neither primary is working.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
+1 million - You can go from running fine to barely running/blown engine in literally no time flat. You don't **** with precats (or main cat for that matter). Gut em or headers.

Bad rings or not, I bet you're burning most of that oil b/c of the immense back pressure of clogged cats.

whoa didnt expect that but it does make sense ill start by taking a look at it to see what type of condition its in. How would you gut them or what would you use to gut them? i know sometype of non-fouler would be used on the sensors right?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 AM
Bad *** Newb

whoa didnt expect that but it does make sense ill start by taking a look at it to see what type of condition its in. How would you gut them or what would you use to gut them? i know sometype of non-fouler would be used on the sensors right?
You have to take the manifolds completely off. Most people just opt for headers

million threads on this btw
Old 06-28-2011, 06:12 AM

Your in Florida, typical warm weather so to gut em you can just drop the y-pipe and gut the rear without taking off the manifold or the precat just got to have a long screw driver or pry bar to break it all up and out, and for the front just take off the precat and do the same. On the oil burning issue mine was about the same and crapped out at 153k, put a 04 engine in there and no more oil burning issue....SOONER OR LATER you will need a engine, better you get it sooner, and you will find one used and cheaper than repairing the one you have now...... Good Luck....
Old 06-28-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Your in Florida, typical warm weather so to gut em you can just drop the y-pipe and gut the rear without taking off the manifold or the precat just got to have a long screw driver or pry bar to break it all up and out, and for the front just take off the precat and do the same. On the oil burning issue mine was about the same and crapped out at 153k, put a 04 engine in there and no more oil burning issue....SOONER OR LATER you will need a engine, better you get it sooner, and you will find one used and cheaper than repairing the one you have now...... Good Luck....

Ill give that gutting the cats a try next week ....how much did it cost you to swap out your engine? if the oil burning problem doesnt go away after all this then i might have to go that route
Old 06-28-2011, 06:35 AM
You embarrass me.

I came into this thread thinking I was gonna see projectors in 5.5 housings. What a let down.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I came into this thread thinking I was gonna see projectors in 5.5 housings. What a let down.
+1!!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Ill give that gutting the cats a try next week ....how much did it cost you to swap out your engine? if the oil burning problem doesnt go away after all this then i might have to go that route
Like 500 labor, 80 bucks for fluids, engine 800 total was like 1388, you got some people in Florida who does that on this Forum, don't know how much they charge but usually be in the Ghustle thread on the 1st page all the time, with like 40,000 plus post....
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Like 500 labor, 80 bucks for fluids, engine 800 total was like 1388, you got some people in Florida who does that on this Forum, don't know how much they charge but usually be in the Ghustle thread on the 1st page all the time, with like 40,000 plus post....
wow thats not bad at all. I will look into that after knock out all the precat things.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
+1!!!!!
+2 I am disappointed.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Hence my retort post in the beginning.... I too, was very disappointed.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Get over it already and keep it moving
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Include me in that. This has ruined my night.
On the other hand look out for mid july I'll be throwing these projectors into my high beams on the max

Morimoto Matchbox projectors - bixenon

Next to a mini h1 projector

Dimensions:
Length - 4.4"
Width - 3"
Height - 2.1 to 2.2"
Lens size - 1.8"

I should probably make a thread on this but I'll do it after I get it done :P

*photos courtesy of member Matt V on hidplanet.com*
Old 06-29-2011, 06:28 PM

Get over it already and keep it moving
Ummm.. this whole thread is from the Thread Title. If you want to keep a well constructed thread that stays on topic and holds useful information and conversing, then you need to spend a couple seconds and construct it correctly in the first place. Don't get upset at us for following your lead. :P

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Include me in that. This has ruined my night.
On the other hand look out for mid july I'll be throwing these projectors into my high beams on the max

Morimoto Matchbox projectors - bixenon

Next to a mini h1 projector

Dimensions:
Length - 4.4"
Width - 3"
Height - 2.1 to 2.2"
Lens size - 1.8"

I should probably make a thread on this but I'll do it after I get it done :P

*photos courtesy of member Matt V on hidplanet.com*
Oh man Oh man, that's what I was hoping to hear when I popped in here! Get on that Greg can't wait for the thread, would be interested in a progress thread on it while you're working away.