5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GSP Axles...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 AM

GSP Axles...?

I am in dire need of new axles, and have recently just purchased some GSP from Advanced Auto. Now, I have just done some research on the ORG and i see a lot of people having problems with them. Kinda makes me nervous to put them on.

Anyone have any legit problems with these. I drive a 2000 SE w/ AT. Is it just the MT having problems or both? And if the GSP are junk what would you recommend?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 AM

I have an 02 6spd and my problems are popping sounds due to inaccurate passenger side axle length. They sell the auto and manual as the same. I also get vibration under acceleration due to no dampeners on the GSP axles. I think it is only on heavy acceleration though.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:44 AM

I have one for the pax side on my 6mt 4th gen, I hear bad things about them too, but it's so far outlasted 2x driver side axles.... About 10k miles on it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 AM

if you're at stock height/minor lowering, GSP is fine
Old 09-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
if you're at stock height GSP is fine
I do have Eibachs but didn't think a one inch difference would cause these issues. I do remember a thread where someone had a picture of the passenger GSP next to OEM (for the 6spd) and there is a length difference so I would be more prone to say that is the issue, not a small suspension drop.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM

you'll be fine
Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 PM

GSP are poorly built. They have smaller diameter shafts. They do not have vibration dampeners. And, as stated, they sell the auto axles as manual. Since you have an auto, you might be better off, but they are junk.

Highly recommend OP/DSS axles. Much nicer quality. Beefier shafts. Include vibration dampeners, and are similarly priced to the GSP's.

This is coming from personal experience with both...

...I purchased the OP/DSS at Federated Auto Parts locally, but several online shops carry them as well.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
GSP are poorly built. They have smaller diameter shafts. They do not have vibration dampeners. And, as stated, they sell the auto axles as manual. Since you have an auto, you might be better off, but they are junk.

Highly recommend OP/DSS axles. Much nicer quality. Beefier shafts. Include vibration dampeners, and are similarly priced to the GSP's.

This is coming from personal experience with both...

...I purchased the OP/DSS at Federated Auto Parts locally, but several online shops carry them as well.
Hrmm.... I would like to ask for some pictures for reference, but I will look into those guys, I need another driver side axle, I got a J/Y one for the low loww, but hey I can use it as a spare.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM

if you're at stock height/minor lowering, GSP is fine
What he said, I'm on H&R springs and I've been running with a pass side GSP axle for about a year now with no issues.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Hrmm.... I would like to ask for some pictures for reference, but I will look into those guys, I need another driver side axle, I got a J/Y one for the low loww, but hey I can use it as a spare.
Passenger Side comparison. OP by DSS vs. GSP

You can also see the length discrepancy between supposed manual GSP axle and OP by DSS axle. OP is identical length to stock manual axle.

I didn't take a side by side of Driver Side axle, but here is what I have...

Driver Side GSP

Driver Side OP by DSS installed

Notice both driver and passenger side DSS have the vibration dampeners. ;-)
Old 09-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Strange... My GSP has the dampener you speak of, I ordered one from Advance Auto Parts for a 03 6MT.

Thanks for the pics though, helps A LOT.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 PM

Strange... My GSP has the dampener you speak of, I ordered one from Advance Auto Parts for a 03 6MT.

Thanks for the pics though, helps A LOT.
Maybe they fixed their ways or are getting from different distributor/manufacturer. Either way, nice to hear! Guess it's hit or miss with these things...
Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 AM

Maybe they fixed their ways or are getting from different distributor/manufacturer. Either way, nice to hear! Guess it's hit or miss with these things...
Ok, so from what i gather is GSP sucks...

I was at work yesterday so i didnt have chance to read the thread until no. I just went and checked the GSP's i bought and no vibration damper on either of them. Im planning on returning them back to Advance tomorrow. I am going to get the DSS ones you speak of above as they seem to get better ratings all around, and not just on this forum either.

Anyone know of where to get the DSS axles for the best price? or should i just start looking?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:00 AM

check at napa..beware though DSS only has a 1 year warranty, if you are ok w/ that go ahead, i have already busted the boots on mine and they wont cover that under warranty...supposedly. so i may just get some boots
Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM

check at napa..beware though DSS only has a 1 year warranty, if you are ok w/ that go ahead, i have already busted the boots on mine and they wont cover that under warranty...supposedly. so i may just get some boots
WTF?! Screw that then, GSP has a lifetime through Advanced and that covers boots, I'll change PAX axles out awl dae long... Now for that damned driver side...... I'd minus well go w/ Raxle, cause that's one axle I hate changing (That snap ring can go to hell)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 AM

Well my max is my DD, it only goes 1 MILE to work. and 1 MILE back...lol It may got to Nashville TN a few times and stay around Western KY... nothing much.

So i guess my Q?? is what kind of driver are you/ under what circumstances did it break?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 AM

i've had the gsp axle a couple months now with no problems. if u do end up gettin it from advance, do an online order and use coupon code a123 for $20 off.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM

no, your question is how low are you going to lower it......i'm kind of tempted to go back w/ GSP truthfully, the hype about GSP being ****, is kinda over hyped...at the end of the day, being slammed...i'm still going to have axle binding and if having a lifetime warranty on my axles via advance from GSP will do the trick then fine

Moral of this story is: either way you look at it, i think GSP is the best deal, still, hands down. Lifetime warranty, if you're at stock height, minor lowering no vibration, busted boot...if you're slammed and you continually break axle boots, free replacement..you're gona vibrate because the axles are going to bind.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 AM

no, your question is how low are you going to lower it......i'm kind of tempted to go back w/ GSP truthfully, the hype about GSP being ****, is kinda over hyped...at the end of the day, being slammed...i'm still going to have axle binding and if having a lifetime warranty on my axles via advance from GSP will do the trick then fine

Moral of this story is: either way you look at it, i think GSP is the best deal, still, hands down. Lifetime warranty, if you're at stock height, minor lowering no vibration, busted boot...if you're slammed and you continually break axle boots, free replacement..you're gona vibrate because the axles are going to bind.
OK, i think you just answered my Q?. Thanks Phatboislim...
I may as well stick with GSP if they are lifetime. Im putting on GR2's w/ H-Tech springs in October anyway... so like you say "Lifetime warranty, if you're at stock height, minor lowering no vibration, busted boot..."
thanks again...
Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 AM

If anyone wants a used set of GSP's as spares, hit me up via PM.

Drive Side MANUAL tranny
Passenger Side Automatic tranny

I'll sell for super cheap + shipping!

Might end up posting on classified, but since this thread grew interest, good place to start...

...if your wondering why I don't return them for new one's under warranty, I paid under $120 for the set via a friend who no longer works for the shop he ordered thru. So no receipt. Live and learn...
Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM

no busted boot?!^ i need them for my 5th gen though...
Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 AM

All of it is the same 'ish (driver side), even if it's an inch or two short, doesn't matter cause guess what'll happen in 6 months or so? We're replacing it anyways....
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Nope. Boots are fine. What you see in above pics is what I got.

13k miles on the passenger side - 19k on the drivers side.

PM me if interested...

...my thought is, that if you have the GSP's already, you can use these as a "warranty" replacement and get some replacements in preparation. Just a thought...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM

All of it is the same 'ish (driver side), even if it's an inch or two short, doesn't matter cause guess what'll happen in 6 months or so? We're replacing it anyways....
good point..but are auto axles interchangeable on the passenger side?

Nope. Boots are fine. What you see in above pics is what I got.

13k miles on the passenger side - 19k on the drivers side.

PM me if interested...

...my thought is, that if you have the GSP's already, you can use these as a "warranty" replacement and get some replacements in preparation. Just a thought...
i'm thinking about it.....if i buy these straight up i wont have a warranty again, but then again i'm not sure how much longer ill have my car that if i should worry about a warranty, know what i mean..i'm on the fence about it. whats your price shipped
Old 09-20-2011, 01:25 PM

good point..but are auto axles interchangeable on the passenger side?
I have yet to be that adventurous... I have my 5mt pax side laying around, should compare it to the ones @ work.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Has GSP's put in 2 years ago...12K, so far so good, knock on wood.