5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing Upper Oil Pan Gasket questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:48 PM

Replacing Upper Oil Pan Gasket questions...

I have a leak from my upper oil pan gasket and need to get it fixed. I don't have the tools or the knowledge to do this project so I'm taking it to my mechanic. I know it's expensive because of all the time involved.

My question is...

What else should i get done to my car while this is being done? Since I'll have the top of the engine off is there any other maintenance that i should have done?

I'm a noob to all of this. Here are the specs on my car:

2003 SE automatic. approx 112,000 miles

i've replaced the primary O2 sensors, did the MAF swap, keep up with all my scheduled maintenance.

i did notice on my last smog check that my hydrocarbons were high this might mean my cats are going.

Any info would be great. I might as well take care of certain things while i have that part open.

also, would this make the rear main seal reachable, should i have that done too?

thanks for your help
Old 10-28-2011, 01:45 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Quick response: You won't have the "top of your engine off" for the oil pan reseal. Make sure they replace front and rear lip seals, oil cooler seals, internal tube oring(x2), lower oil pan reseal or gasket, ypipe gaskets. I think that's it. Don't let them talk you into changing the RMS until they physically show you a leak from it. Many mechanics automatically see a leak at the rear of the engine and jump to that conclusion. The majority of the time it is the rear lip seal.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Editing response, looks like nelledge is saying that you won't have the top of your engine off.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:27 PM

ok... thanks for that info. they (my mechanic) haven't mentioned anything about the rear main seal, but I myself have noticed it being gunked up and moist looking dirt around where i think the rear main seal is, but i've never noticed any actually leaking from there.

thanks for letting me know about what is actually done. i just didn't know if they are going to access that part of the engine if there is anything else i should have done (maintenance wise) while they are at that part of the engine.

thanks again for your input!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:57 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by lapdog12
...thanks again for your input!
You're welcome.

ok... thanks for that info. they (my mechanic) haven't mentioned anything about the rear main seal, but I myself have noticed it being gunked up and moist looking dirt around where i think the rear main seal is, but i've never noticed any actually leaking from there...
The lip seal is underneath the RMS. Most people can't determine which is leaking until the pan is off. I would almost bet money that the RMS is fine. BTW... the RMS change will add quite a bit of labor cost.

...i just didn't know if they are going to access that part of the engine if there is anything else i should have done (maintenance wise) while they are at that part of the engine.
You could change the belts while they're off if you haven't done those.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:23 PM

i just looked over my maintenance records and i see that i changed my belts on july 11, 09 at 91,900 miles and i'm at around 113,000 so i think i'm ok there but i will have them inspect them, they look fine to me.

Again thanks for all the info. I've found the part number for everything but the y-pipe gasket, but i'm sure i'll find that soon. i just want to know the prices for these parts so i don't get over charged. they all seem relatively cheap.

thanks again for the quick response and answering my questions. if i'm going to spend the money to get it done i want it done right and take care of everything i could take care of while i have that part of the engine exposed.