5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 vs. 2001 OEM Air-Box & Snorkel ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:32 AM

2000 vs. 2001 OEM Air-Box & Snorkel ???

I honestly can't figure this out! I've looked everywhere and seen ALL the OEM Air-Box & Snorkels listed for the 5th/5.5th Gen. from 2000-2003. They ALL look like this picture of the 2000 Snorkel I just got used. NOTE: The section outlined in red. The only difference noted is the IAT port on 00-01.

My current 2001 Snorkel is similar but doesn't have this section. It's just 1 piece, has the lower water-trap section, and Air-Box connector molded into the part. They are separate sections on the 2000 Snorkel. (See pics below)

To ADD to the confusion the 2000 and my 2001 (maybe 02-03 too) Air-Box have the SAME part#2Y000. But the 2000 Air-Box has another piece inside. NOTE: The section outlined in red. (See pic below)

2000 Air-Box

That piece clearly has never been inside my current 2001 Air-Box. (See pic below)

2001 Air-Box

Can ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN what's up with this??? Since My 2001 seems to have a different Air-Box & Snorkel than EVERY other listed parts I've seen! Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:35 AM

they probably made it one piece for ease of manufacture without any significance in the end product.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by McSteve
they probably made it one piece for ease of manufacture without any significance in the end product.
Would that account for all the differences noted, plus the fact that ALL the listings I could find from 2000-2003 show identical parts. What you're implying is that Nissan re-designed 2 parts for use on only 1 model year. Then switched back to the prior design for the 2 following years.

Last edited by BobPezz; 11-19-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Hmmm that's a mystery you have there Pezz, I'll have to peek in the garage later and see what my old intake looks like. I am pretty sure there is a baffle on the bottom, not sure about that piece on the side though.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Hmmm that's a mystery you have there Pezz, I'll have to peek in the garage later and see what my old intake looks like. I am pretty sure there is a baffle on the bottom, not sure about that piece on the side though.
I'm baffled (excuse the pun) by the inconsistencies I found. It looks like my current 01 parts may give a smoother airflow. BTW; You started my quandary with the suggestion of a Stage II "CAD". I got the 2K parts to experiment with increasing the airflow of the OEM cool air intake system. I thought siameseing 2 snorkels/air-box inlets would be a good method. Now, it's already gotten more complicated than anticipated.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:00 PM

Inlet Areas

Here's some quick but interesting inlet area calculations. Comparing the OEM Air-Box inlet vs. the Siamesed inlet, also with 3" dia and 4" dia inlets.

Inlet Areas

OEM - 2.25" x 3.25" = 7.3125 sq"

OEM x 2 Siamesed - 3.25" x 4.5" = 14.625 sq"

3" dia = 7.065 sq"

4" dia = 12.56 sq"
Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
Here's some quick but interesting inlet area calculations. Comparing the OEM Air-Box inlet vs. the Siamesed inlet, also with 3" dia and 4" dia inlets.

Inlet Areas

OEM - 2.25" x 3.25" = 7.3125 sq"

OEM x 2 Siamesed - 3.25" x 4.5" = 14.625 sq"

3" dia = 7.065 sq"

4" dia = 12.56 sq"
I am having a tough time interpreting your plan. A picture of proposed routing perhaps?

I also have a 2001 so maybe I'll swing over to my place tonight and have a peek.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:24 PM

That extra box is (from what I understand) a baffle to reduce air flow noise. I actually removed that from mine and capped it off as well as another on the lower portion of the air box.

The interior piece is the portion that holds the lower section of the filter in place. Just appears they decided to change the design over the years. Oddly enough, the interior space of my 2002 box is identical to the picture you posted of the 2000 air box.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 AM

I am having a tough time interpreting your plan. A picture of proposed routing perhaps?

I also have a 2001 so maybe I'll swing over to my place tonight and have a peek.
Here's what I'm hoping to accomplish. (see pic 1) Sorry for the quality it's not a very accurate representation. I just took a pic I had and did a quick overlay of another snorkel on top of the picture. But it shows the concept.

The red line is where I hope to seam the 2 snorkels together and adjust the width of the snorkels to fit. The battery will have to be re-located, I think rotated 90deg and more toward the fender may work. If I can get this all figured out and fabricated. The next step is putting on a larger "CAD" mod, using a bigger cheap plastic AutoZone scoop.

This "CAD2" mod should significantly decrease the snorkel/air-box air inlet restriction/temps compared to the OEM setup. (see pic 2)

Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by nismopc
That extra box is (from what I understand) a baffle to reduce air flow noise. I actually removed that from mine and capped it off as well as another on the lower portion of the air box.

The interior piece is the portion that holds the lower section of the filter in place. Just appears they decided to change the design over the years. Oddly enough, the interior space of my 2002 box is identical to the picture you posted of the 2000 air box.
Thanks for the info. since it's OK to take it off I'll hack up that snorkel on that side. Funny though that mine is made so differently compared to all the other snorkels I've seen. Is it possible there was an accessory snorkel that was installed on this car, or one from another model/country?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:37 AM

Here's what I'm hoping to accomplish. (see pic 1) Sorry for the quality it's not a very accurate representation. I just took a pic I had and did a quick overlay of another snorkel on top of the picture. But it shows the concept.

The red line is where I hope to seam the 2 snorkels together and adjust the width of the snorkels to fit. The battery will have to be re-located, I think rotated 90deg and more toward the fender may work. If I can get this all figured out and fabricated. The next step is putting on a larger "CAD" mod, using a bigger cheap plastic AutoZone scoop.

This "CAD2" mod should significantly decrease the snorkel/air-box air inlet restriction/temps compared to the OEM setup. (see pic 2)

ok I have a better idea of your plans now. What about the rest of the intake though? Are you planning on only doing this to the snorkle? If so, I'm no so sure there is a point, all you'll be doing is making a bigger inlet?

Thanks for the info. since it's OK to take it off I'll hack up that snorkel on that side. Funny though that mine is made so differently compared to all the other snorkels I've seen. Is it possible there was an accessory snorkel that was installed on this car, or one from another model/country?
I checked mine, and there is no upper 'baffle' on it. Mine is a 2001, but it's a AE so perhaps it's different. I have no idea, but it does seem strange to me. Perhaps they were just tinkering with things on the final production year, then when they decided to swap to the 3.5 they went to the tried and true intake set-up.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 AM

ok I have a better idea of your plans now. What about the rest of the intake though? Are you planning on only doing this to the snorkle? If so, I'm no so sure there is a point, all you'll be doing is making a bigger inlet?

I checked mine, and there is no upper 'baffle' on it. Mine is a 2001, but it's a AE so perhaps it's different. I have no idea, but it does seem strange to me. Perhaps they were just tinkering with things on the final production year, then when they decided to swap to the 3.5 they went to the tried and true intake set-up.
I plan to enlarge the air-box inlet 2x too. As far as the Apexi filter that should flow just fine. From what I've read, the air-box isn't restrictive and will make a nice big plenum for the MAF and Throttle Body to breathe from.

I have another idea, to try fabbing a snorkel from the big AutoZone scoop and using 4" PVC pipe fittings for the flanges water trap and some ABS or PVC sheet for the base. ABS (scoop) and PVC can be bonded together. And there's probably an adhesive that will work on the air-box too. If all else fails industrial grade RTV should work.

That's interesting your snorkel doesn't have the baffle. Does your air-box have the "flap" for lack of a better term? I wonder if my car has an AE snorkel or if it's just that Nissan deleted the baffle on the 01.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:57 AM

I plan to enlarge the air-box inlet 2x too. As far as the Apexi filter that should flow just fine. From what I've read, the air-box isn't restrictive and will make a nice big plenum for the MAF and Throttle Body to breathe from.

I have another idea, to try fabbing a snorkel from the big AutoZone scoop and using 4" PVC pipe fittings for the flanges water trap and some ABS or PVC sheet for the base. ABS (scoop) and PVC can be bonded together. And there's probably an adhesive that will work on the air-box too. If all else fails industrial grade RTV should work.

That's interesting your snorkel doesn't have the baffle. Does your air-box have the "flap" for lack of a better term? I wonder if my car has an AE snorkel or if it's just that Nissan deleted the baffle on the 01.
Probably a production date thing more than a 'year to year' change. For instance, my 2001 has the 'old style' gauge cluster, while many 2001s have the 'updated' gauge cluster used in the 2002/2003.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing the progress and results of this, I assume there will be a thread emerging for it.

Just keep in mind Bob, just like exhaust, intake design is not 'the bigger the better', it has to do with ideal VELOCITY. Making it bigger won't make it better
Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM

Probably a production date thing more than a 'year to year' change. For instance, my 2001 has the 'old style' gauge cluster, while many 2001s have the 'updated' gauge cluster used in the 2002/2003.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing the progress and results of this, I assume there will be a thread emerging for it.

Just keep in mind Bob, just like exhaust, intake design is not 'the bigger the better', it has to do with ideal VELOCITY. Making it bigger won't make it better
That's the best answer I guess. I think my car is an early 01 if I recall from the production date. BTW; What's the difference between the new and old gauge cluster?

Thanks for the advice on maintaining velocity. That's why I'm keeping everything close to stock, aside from trying to reduce restriction before the filter. And allow more cool air into the air-box via a bigger snorkel, inlet, and "CAD". Which hopefully won't impact the intake tuning. I wonder if "Sparks" has seen this thread? He'd be able to give some good info.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Yeah I've noticed sparks perousing around off and on lately, who knows. Shoot him off a PM he may have some good imput for you.

OT, the pre-2001 production dates (approximate) used a cluster with 4 illumination bulbs, and 1 for the LCD display. They also have screw-mounted gauges, making them more mod-friendly/rebuildable. The Post 2001 production use only 2 illumination bulbs, and have soldered on gauges, which forces you to pull the needles if you want to do any real tinkering in behind.