5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Creaking and Groaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Creaking and Groaning

In the past 3 to 5 days, I started hearing some creaking and groaning noises when I am coming to a stop.

The creaking noise occurs usually below 15 mph while coasting or while on the brakes. It seems to go with the speed.

Right before I come to a complete stop (maybe from 3 mph - 0 mph), the creaking turns into a more audible groan and the noise subsides when I'm completely stopped.

I don't hear this noise when I am accelerating.

I replaced my front brake pads today and that didn't fix the problem. Any ideas on what it can be? I'll do my best to answer any more questions that can help.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 AM

Can you narrow down where on the car you think it is coming from?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:55 AM

My best guess would be it sounds like it's coming from the front since I've only been able to hear it while I was driving in the car. I also hear a little bit of noise when going over bumps that doesn't sound like clunking. More of a creaking noise.

However, the car makes those noises I mentioned in the first post regardless of whether the road is smooth or bumpy when I'm coming to a stop.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

upper bushing on the front struts are gone perhaps?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 AM

Replace your struts and strut bearings
Old 12-09-2011, 05:41 AM

Struts and shocks have been replaced less than a year ago with KYB GR-2's. At this time, sway bar links, bushings, an axle, outer tie rods and a ball joint were also replaced. Front strut mounts were replaced with moogs.

Any other ideas?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:51 AM

Right before my wheel bearing went out in my 97, it was doing something kinda similar....
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 AM

I'll look into that, but form what I heard, bad wheel bearings usually make a loud noise that gets louder as your speed increases. Similar to an airplane taking off.

I'll try to jack the car up and wiggle the wheel when I have a chance. Any other ideas on how to check it?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by OnOiShNo0dl3Z
I'll look into that, but form what I heard, bad wheel bearings usually make a loud noise that gets louder as your speed increases. Similar to an airplane taking off.

I'll try to jack the car up and wiggle the wheel when I have a chance. Any other ideas on how to check it?
Since it's low speed, you should be able to spin the tires to see if you can duplicate the noise.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:44 PM

DAMN that is weird, I thought it would of been the brake pads, weird problem so even when you are completely stopped the groaning noise is still going on?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 PM

No no, when i'm completely stopped there's no noise. When I'm just about completely stopped the noise changes to a bit of a groan and then completely subsides once I'm no longer moving. I didn't have a chance to jack up the car so I'll try and do it sometime this week.

Someone suggested the rotors, which I suppose could be possible, I'm just not sure how it explains the noise when I'm coasting in neutral and not on brakes unless they are extremely warped... However, I don't feel vibrations when braking.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 AM

The noise seems to have cut down a bit but it sorta comes and goes.

I was able to take a look and it certainly doesn't look like the wheel bearing is bad. Everything is pretty solid.

However, I did think it could possibly be bad rotors. I noticed the sound came more from the driver side and when touching the rotor, i noticed i could feel the ridges or lines on the driver side rotor whereas for the passenger side rotor, it felt much more smooth.

This leads me to believe it's probably a bad rotor. Anyone got suggestions? I haven't noticed vibration in braking yet.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:27 AM

Noodles: Don't let them mislead you, man! Bad wheel bearings make a roaring sound that does get louder and louder as your speed increases. It's pretty unmistakeable.

The brakes are also a red herring. Yes, it makes a groaning when you're slowing down, which is natural to suspect the brakes, but it has to be a suspension issue. All the weight is transferring to the very front of your car, right? So under sudden load, some suspension component in the front of your car is groaning. Offhand, I can't think of an easy answer, but stare at diagrams of your suspension to see what might be the culprit. There are loads of bushings in the front designed to simply diminish/eliminate noise from the suspension. Maybe one of those is bad? You didn't mention the control-arm bushings in your list of recent fixes. Heck, maybe it's something as crazy as one of your motor mounts?

My '05 with ~102K miles is doing the same thing right now. The rotors are a few years old, it looks like, but the calipers and pads are in great shape. It could be noise from the rotor, but that could be duplicated by lifting the car, spinning the wheel, and braking. If you can't replicate it that way, it has to be weight-transfer and suspension related.

My groaning sounds a lot like steel being unhappy about pitch and roll--like on old bridges, ships, etc.