5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

who manufactures cattman mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 AM

I am also puzzled as to how a specific muffler potentially not being available when you "might" get another Maxima is a deal breaker on buying the entire car period...
Old 12-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
I would like to know where you got the louder statement from because videos don't say show loud it is unless I had a dB meter which I didn't. I'm sure it is now, with 3" test pipe and gutted cats. Hopefully I'll meet with one of the guys here that has a Cattman exhaust and do a comparison

Actually I was referring to the muffler but the same applies to the resonator.
I stated that because of your idle volume, compared to mine in your initial video! I'm running a Cat so my ride is a bit quieter than alot of other guys running Cattman, Megan, & BRM.....Also the fact that those 14" muffler are known for their high drone factor, and that smaller resonator you happen too be running on top of that test pipe! No hard feelings...I was just stating my observation....
Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

As far as the Cattman is concerned, the idle volume is lower with a test pipe + 3". It's the crackle you get post 3500 + WOT is what the difference in sound is when comparing test piped and cat'ed CM 3" set-ups.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM

What would you guys reccomend for a replacement muffler for a 2.5"? I was thinking magnaflow or bosal with a custom tip. I already have the Cattman resonator and a test pipe.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:53 AM

The whole fact that you're always trying to backdoor folks upsets my stomach.....If you want an exhaust system buy one from Cattman, the others, or design your own bottomline!!!! You can always stop off @ an exhaust shop and have them build one for you, using components from Magnaflow, CherryBomb, Walker, Borla, Edelbrock, etc.....
Old 12-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CMax03
I stated that because of your idle volume, compared to mine in your initial video! I'm running a Cat so my ride is a bit quieter than alot of other guys running Cattman, Megan, & BRM.....Also the fact that those 14" muffler are known for their high drone factor, and that smaller resonator you happen too be running on top of that test pipe! No hard feelings...I was just stating my observation....
I would have to agree, drone is lurking me everywhere I go. I've gotten used to it now. Not sure if its louder but I do have a feeling it is. Just don't like it when people jump the gun without proof.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Someone mentioned this thread was alive, so I wanted to check it out. A lot of you know we're pretty open about talking about the company, and all the what's, how's and why's of it all. There aren't really any big secrets about any of this, so maybe I can straighten out some misconceptions.

#1, we are still taking orders and making exhaust parts and we'll continue to until we either sell the company or I have to spend a lot of time outside of the US. I remain very interested in making and selling the Cattman line of exhaust parts.

We take orders by phone at 520.575.6195, typically open 9-5 M-F. I can't always answer the phone, so please leave a message that I will commit to returning.

All of our exhaust parts except FastCats (which are often in stock and we make more frequently), are manufactured on a demand cycle, meaning we start a new batch of parts once we've collected around 10 backorders. I'll make more than 10, that's just the trigger for each new batch. These aren't group deals, its just the protocol we follow to time our production and minimize sunk investment in parts on the shelf.

Here's how ordering works. When taking backorders we do not take any money until production begins. There's no reason to take a customer's money before this point, and even then, there's no justification for taking the entire amount. Once I have the target number of backorders, I send an email to everyone in the backorder folder letting them know that we're beginning production and that I'll be taking a 30% deposit in 1-2 days to qualify their order (everyone is told about this when the order is placed). When the parts are done 4-6 weeks later (depending on the part), we do the same thing, giving customers a 1-2 day heads up on whacking their CCs for the balance due before shipping them out.

Notice that when I talk about making exhaust parts, I speak as though Cattman Performance is directly involved, but that's just the most convenient way to discuss it. I'm the first to point out that if we had to support a manufacturing facility and staff, we would have gone out of business years ago. For the last 9 years, this has been a partnership between Cattman and our very capable exhaust partner in Southern California. I pay for the R&D when a part's developed and own the manufacturing fixtures and production rights (this is a key point). He makes them for us on contract.

I'm very clear about that when discussing this with customers, there's no attempt to suggest otherwise. I do not talk about who our partner is because he has asked me not to. His business is largely wholesale, and there's no office staff to answer the phone or email. If you call him about making Maxima parts he won't be interested, but he could very possibly be irritated.

And yes, we do make our 4th and 5th generation mufflers and resonators completely in-house, because no one makes any that I'd want to use. [We've purchased mufflers for our 6th gen dual muffler system because it costs to much to make them in-house x2, but I've been disappointed in the result.] We use top-grade steel and stuff them with an exotic German fibreglass that's made for motorcycle exhausts. The sound deadening of the material is great, but more importantly, the German glass is very tough, and doesn't fragment and blow out the tailpipe over time like cheaper fibreglass does (which is why other exhaust systems get louder over time and ours sounds the same).

Durability/longevity is also a function of stuffing the cavity so full that there's little room for movement, which accelerates destructive fragmentation. Mufflers and resonators from other sources (including those mentioned in this thread) contain much cheaper fibreglass used in insufficient amounts. The sound quality (volume AND tone) can really deteriorate over time.

Lastly, I would just leave a general warning about the reality of getting a local exhaust shop to help you integrate different exhaust components that are not designed to go together. In at least 9 times out of 10, you will be very disappointed with the result either right away or somewhere down the line. You say BS, how can he make assumptions like that? Believe me, its not BS. I've listened to these stories every day for years. The total lack of ethics and craftsmanship at 90%+ of the exhaust shops out there add up to a very dangerous situation for someone who cares about their car.

At best you'll be sorry, at worst you will want to kill somebody for what they've done to your car and the way they've butchered the parts they were supposed to integrate. No matter how simple what you're asking them to do may seem, it will turn out to be too complicated to do right, and they will fv<& up your parts in ways you cannot imagine in advance. Plus, the mild steel materials and sloppy mig-welding they use to patch things together will rust through within a couple years in most winter climates, leaving the original stainless parts chopped up with gaps in between.

I know that some are thinking that I'm just trying to scare people into buying Cattman parts, but whether you buy our parts or not, go for complete, ready to install systems and do everything possible to avoid "custom" solutions or you are very likely to be sorry.

Anyway, I've probably overlooked a few things, but I hope this covers most of the questions or uncertainties raised in this thread.

Thanks to all of our supporters, and a Merry Christmas or alternate winter festival occasion to all.

Brian
Old 12-20-2011, 04:21 PM

I purchased one of the first runs of the cattman exhaust for my 5.5gen back in feb of 2004, 105k miles later still looks good and sound awesome for my daily driver that sees Chicago winters
good product Brian
good luck
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM

Im enjoying my Full Cattman Setup, just need to break in the Headers some more with more miles, and on freeway So So NICE....
Old 12-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
This ^

The quality of the Cattman headers and 3" exhaust is second to NONE!!! Worth every penny! I believe it makes about 10whp more than the standard 2.5" aftermarket exhaust! Just place an order and wait, its worth it.
i was also an owner of one and it is infact worth every penny, i judt thought the guy went out of business from what i heard... i will in fact be buying his catback but just in case im too late i would love to know who makes em
Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I should add that there are 5 backorders for the 5th gen 3" catback right now, only need 5 more to begin the next batch. Safe to predict that we'll be starting the next production run sometime next month.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:31 PM

which is absolutely perfect.... im trying to buy a new 5th gen for daily but was on the ropes as to be honest i dont even want the car without the catback.... any batch after that?... reguardless im buying it
Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Currently enjoying my complete Cattman setup as well.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Brian what about the headers head count do far????? This is matt from tn i was number 6-7 a few weekz ago when i signed up???
Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM

I didn't really read cattman's post but I kinda find it mind boggling how verytime there is a thread on cattman product somebody callsn reports hhaahaaaa kinda childish if u ask me, however just to not make this thread misleading to anybody, it wasn't made because I wanted a 3" catback like catman's for cheaper, notice I neverask for anything similar, I asked for the specific item..... I dnt own a current maxma at the moment butis really thinking about another one... from not being here asmuc word was cattman was out of business so I came here asking if he would release any info on who manufactures just the tips (muffler body n tips)..... as far s I knew there was no such thing 3" cattman anymore... now that I do know I can get in on at least the last batch I may pull the trigger n pay the $850 for the catback
Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Srry for the middle school post... I'm on my cellphone now lls
Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Not too sure about the custom work argument.....3/4 of the cars on this sight are happily running on custom work.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 PM

Actually I make the mufflers in my basement...

:O

:hides:
Old 12-20-2011, 08:49 PM

Everybody I know loves their custom catbacks, I just don't like em lls....... I don't even really like how the megan exhaust looks..... hopefully y'all see how picky I am
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Everybody I know loves their custom catbacks, I just don't like em lls....... I don't even really like how the megan exhaust looks..... hopefully y'all see how picky I am
What matters most to me is how the tips protrude out of the bumper. I've noticed some sit too far in and look weird.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 AM

I think everyone on this thread is a regular on the org........Alot of ppl read with no response.....and some respond too everything! GH17 you got an answer straight from where you were seeking too find one!!!!

Last edited by CMax03; 12-21-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
What matters most to me is how the tips protrude out of the bumper. I've noticed some sit too far in and look weird.
To me its about
Style of the tips
Gotta look clean with the car
Body of the muffler
How flush or poked the muffer is
Sound of the catback (the most I care about)
(Notice I haven't even performance this whole time.... I don't care to be honest, if the 2.5" looked the exact same then id settle *maybe not with my 5.5*)
EDIT: how the body of the muffler sits with the car when looking from the side, in the case of 5th gens its gotta kinda be slanted upwards with the flow of our rear bumper, not ricer but exactly like the cattman sits
Originally Posted by CMax03
I think everyone on this thread is a regular on the org........Alot of ppl read with no response.....and some respond too everything! GH17 you got an answer straight from where you were seeking too find one!!!!
I agree, I am glad he cleared the air but man there is a lot of babies in here..... bet not talk bad about brian, one of his scouts may go back n inform the big bad wolf .... *scared voice* (I love catman)

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 12-21-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Ahhh ok, well i have no cats, and no resonator, so i guess i SHOULD buy the whole set with the resonator then. lol I kinda like my exhaust without one, but im afraid to know how loud it would be without the resonator when i get my BRM 3"!
I can't speak for the your choice muffler, but I'm running a 3id Catt back pipping , gutted pre cats (for now),no resonator and now hytech twin loop muffler. I was running the obx twin loop muffler. I have a video some were and it's not that loud at all.. this new muffler hytech twin loop is even more quite. and I got my cat back custom built at a good exhaust shop. and if you don't count the 400 price tag on my new muffler it was cheaper the going Catt man ... hands down
Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 PM

To me its about
Style of the tips
Body of the muffler
(Notice I haven't even performance this whole time.... I don't care to be honest, if the 2.5" looked the exact same then id settle *maybe not with my 5.5*)
EDIT: how the body of the muffler sits with the car when looking from the side, in the case of 5th gens its gotta kinda be slanted upwards with the flow of our rear bumper, not ricer but exactly like the cattman sits

I agree, I am glad he cleared the air but man there is a lot of babies in here..... bet not talk bad about brian, one of his scouts may go back n inform the big bad wolf .... *scared voice* (I love catman)
If you have something to say call him and discuss it! You know the BIG BAD CATT!!!! He can't be too bad, you love his products too death......
Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 PM

To me its about
Style of the tips
Body of the muffler

Besides the actual design of the muffler body, everything else you list here can be accomplished with custom work. I fully understand liking the Cattman product as they are very nice but not buying a particular car because a specific catback exhaust may not be available is crazytown.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 PM

There are several components that can be customized to work together.....here's a system I build using a tubing kit for my 3rd Gen w/ Magnaflow components and it sounds sweet! No droning on the street nor freeway!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Clashez
I can't speak for the your choice muffler, but I'm running a 3id Catt back pipping , gutted pre cats (for now),no resonator and now hytech twin loop muffler. I was running the obx twin loop muffler. I have a video some were and it's not that loud at all.. this new muffler hytech twin loop is even more quite. and I got my cat back custom built at a good exhaust shop. and if you don't count the 400 price tag on my new muffler it was cheaper the going Catt man ... hands down
Oh Clash he already has a 3" Exhaust already w OBXs Muffler, he just wants a change up but he said he is going BRM.....
Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

Dyno proven.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:45 PM

I'll give you the dyno proven thing for sure, I just wouldn't say I'm not buying a car because I can't get a specific catback for it.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MintVQ35
I'll give you the dyno proven thing for sure, I just wouldn't say I'm not buying a car because I can't get a specific catback for it.
Nah, don't mind me. That was my small poke of fun at Clashez since we've all been waiting for him to dyno prove his 3" ID set-up.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Clashez
Wait you spent 400 dollars on a twin loop honda muffler
Old 12-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MintVQ35
Besides the actual design of the muffler body, everything else you list here can be accomplished with custom work. I fully understand liking the Cattman product as they are very nice but not buying a particular car because a specific catback exhaust may not be available is crazytown.
i would call myself the extreme fanatic... i go over board for exhaust setups lls... back when i had my DEK and was fairly new i was craving the EVOII idk why, it was just the look for me lls... now... cattman or i dont even want the car, i do know its crazy..... i would loove to the the best custom work... doubt id like it as much
Old 12-21-2011, 06:20 PM

To not even want the car if you can't get a Cattman exhaust for it should be enough for Brian to keep on keeping on. Oh, and by the way, I'm looking for a 2.5" Cattman b-pipe. ( Ya, I know, good luck).
Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 PM

try moncef
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 PM

I'm honestly not disappointed with my custom setup. OBX-R Muffler, and custom 2.5 catback, No resonator. I plan to upgrade in the future to a 3" custom setup.

I do agree with Brian when he says don't trust muffler shops. They truly will F$%K you. I had Master Muffler replace my rusted out stock muffler on my 96 I30 with a standard muffler "Stock look" one I bought from a local shop for cheap and they seriously messed it up. It hangs at a slant and downward angle at the tip, all the welded parts are rusted and look like A$$. I had a friend help me with my custom set up on my 97 Max and it's still really clean looking..

I'm a firm believer in "If you want something done right do it yourself". Not that I wouldn't love a full Cattman set up, it's just not in my budget to spend that much money on an exhaust when I can be happy with one for half the cost. Plus there is something about building one yourself that just has a certain satisfaction that goes along with it.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 PM

ive had a custom on my 4th gen that is probebly still on there since 06... only gasket failure...
Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 AM

i would call myself the extreme fanatic... i go over board for exhaust setups lls... back when i had my DEK and was fairly new i was craving the EVOII idk why, it was just the look for me lls... now... cattman or i dont even want the car, i do know its crazy..... i would loove to the the best custom work... doubt id like it as much
I definitely understand the fanatical approach to certain things trust me, I guess for me personally most mufflers sound roughly the same to me on these cars

And to derail this a bit, I've seen the twin loop muffler mentioned before but never looked at what the deal is with it until yesterday...ya wow.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
I'm honestly not disappointed with my custom setup. OBX-R Muffler, and custom 2.5 catback, No resonator. I plan to upgrade in the future to a 3" custom setup.

I do agree with Brian when he says don't trust muffler shops. They truly will F$%K you. I had Master Muffler replace my rusted out stock muffler on my 96 I30 with a standard muffler "Stock look" one I bought from a local shop for cheap and they seriously messed it up. It hangs at a slant and downward angle at the tip, all the welded parts are rusted and look like A$$. I had a friend help me with my custom set up on my 97 Max and it's still really clean looking..

I'm a firm believer in "If you want something done right do it yourself". Not that I wouldn't love a full Cattman set up, it's just not in my budget to spend that much money on an exhaust when I can be happy with one for half the cost. Plus there is something about building one yourself that just has a certain satisfaction that goes along with it.
With custom work you just gotta find the right place, I've taken cars to Meineke and it's come out like absolute garbage (half expected but replacing a muffler with another muffler isn't exactly brain surgery to me). There are a few custom shops just in my small town area that do excellent work that I would never hesitate to bring future vehicles to.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 AM

no cattman catback, no car lol... that easy for me
Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM

no cattman catback, no car lol... that easy for me
Enjoy your bicycle.

Quick Reply: who manufactures cattman mufflers