5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Did you screw up your TB by moving the butterfly valve?
Yes
29.41%
No
70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle Body Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Throttle Body Cleaning

So after scouring the org for many hours, I am still not sure. I just cleaned my throttle body (2002 electronic throttle) and am wondering what i should be in store for when i get it all back together... Some are saying I'l have a high idle and an idle relearn may fix it. Some say it wont. Some say ill be just fine, some say my ECU will be going bad. Im kind of scared, yet quite unsure. The TB was out of the vehicle, in the closed position when i removed it from the car. I took it apart from the intake and moved the butterly valve manually. I cleaned it out well and now there is a small gap of where the buildup was. in RECENT time, has anyone cleaned their TB in this manner? did you run into high idle issues? Were they able to be resolved using these (http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3481) methods?

Also, theoretically speaking, would it be possible for me to take the throttle body itself, plug it into its harness, turn my car to accessory and put it in drive and depress the accelerator to see if the throttle moves? I dont have a front valve cover, LIM, UIM, fuel rail etc, on right now.. will this cause an issue? (just wondering)

Old 01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Get Off My Lawn

You should always avoid unnecessarily moving the throttle body. However, you should be fine, just do the idle relearn/reset procedure.
Can you watch the throttle body move? Sure, whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM

lmao... nothing like a good throttle body action to get ya going
Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM

Your saying a gap in between the butterfly plate and the TB housing? The seal isnt air tight, it isn't supposed to be. When the TB gets dirty it essentially makes it air tight or close to it and thus you get your rough idle. The space is a good thing lol and thats why you cleaned it. Do the procedure, it will be fine. No I wouldnt run that test with all of those components off. Its 4 bolts to put it on and if its not moving you dont have to be looking at it to tell and if its not then its simple to get it back off right?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 PM

well that makes me feel waaay more comfortable now.. i was under the impression that the valve adjusted itself to that position to compensate for the buildup..
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 PM

What prompted you to clean the TB in the first place? I'm not questioning your choice after seeing how dirty it actually was but I am just curious, I've been having a returning to idle issue on my 02 where it wants to stall every now and then coming to a stop but never does...I was thinking clean the TB but am not that interested in a high idle afterwards.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 PM

vybz05... you should be fine. i had to clean my throttle body and i did a ton of research on this subject and i read that there were instances where moving the butterfly manually did major screw ups but most of the times it was fine (once again this is from my own research) so my advise is put everything back together before you turn anything on and you'll have to do the relearn procedure and you should be good to go. also i can confirm ShocknwAwe, youre throttle body needs to be open ever so slightly to keep the engine from stalling. also i've never heard that the tb will adjust to any positions, it started with the rough idle cause it kept the same position, but with all the gunk around it, making it almost an air tight seal causing the rought idle... GL

MintVQ35... my car was doing the same thing, it started after a 1000+ miles trip. it started almost stalling most of the time and sometimes actually did stall. You do not have to take the throttle body off to clean it. what i did (and i also have a manual trans) was turn the key to the "on" position, put it in gear and put something on the gas pedal to keep it floored. This will open the throttle body so you can get in there. Get some throttle body cleaner and spray liberally, then using a clean, lint free cloth, and using your finger, wipe the inner walls of the tb, without touching the butterfly. you do this, youre throttle will be nice and even, no stalling, and you wont have to deal with the relearn procedure, just, like i said, be careful not to touch the butterfly while cleaning the tb... hope that helps

Last edited by bocian; 01-09-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM

No, take the TB off. More than half of the build up is on the back of the TB where you cant reach. The TB isnt the only thing that can cause a bad idle either, your EGR(if applicable for your model year) and your IACV can cause it too. Both of which have to be taken off to be done right, not the easy way but the right way. Yes touch the butterfly plate to clean it, its impossible to clean it right without touching it lol. Its not sensitive you wont hurt its feelings. And a lint free cloth? Did you see the gunk on the TB? If build up wont hurt it then lint surely wont hurt anything at all.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
No, take the TB off. More than half of the build up is on the back of the TB where you cant reach. The TB isnt the only thing that can cause a bad idle either, your EGR(if applicable for your model year) and your IACV can cause it too. Both of which have to be taken off to be done right, not the easy way but the right way. Yes touch the butterfly plate to clean it, its impossible to clean it right without touching it lol. Its not sensitive you wont hurt its feelings
ive only cleaned my own tb, but from reading up a lot on this, it seemed people were having problems after moving the butterfly ... i imagine i didnt clean it perfectly but it looked a whole hell of a lot better and my idle is perfect, and it was pretty damn easy, it took me like 5 min. but like i said, there are so many different stories about it, kinda freaked me out so i went the safest way i thought would fix my idle and it worked. kinda makes me wish we had the drive by wire in our cars
Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM

also... here are some posts about just this sort of thing, this topic was beaten before

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...body-pics.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ly-yes-no.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-cleaning.html

hope that helps...
Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 PM

In reality the buildup on the TB housing is more important IMO than the buildup on the plate itself. As long as you can squeeze your fingers through past the plate and get the whole surrounding housing then it should be fine. My car is a 96 and I do have the wire lol so it was no worry for me to take it off and I wanted to replace the cheap paper gasket with another cheap paper gasket from nissan lol. A clogged EGR and MAF have much more to do with a smooth idle than gunk and build up in the TB and IACV although it is good to have em clean for piece of mind and to eliminate then from other possible causes for a problem.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 AM

so it still seems to be a 50/50 response on this topic.. so... i added a poll!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 AM

Don't want to hijack here too much but thanks for the input guys, the strange part about my issue is that it idles perfect outside of when it wants to try and idle down to 400rpm coming to a stop, it will correct itself and idle fine after the surge...so I am hoping this can be resolved by a TB cleaning.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Poll does not take into account the amount someone moved the butterfly or how careless/aggressive they where when cleaning. When I cleaned mine, I moved it NO more than 1/8"-1/4". I know, I'm making things difficult, no need to thank me! I still responded, "no."

Ultimately, this question is most likely as that of "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?" The world may never know!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 AM

thats a valid point you have.. I did move mine with force to a 90 degree (fully open) position and back quite a few times. even a couple time to make it completely closed in the housing... well... we'll see whats up soon
Old 01-11-2012, 04:34 AM

so this is just a thought... is it possible that the reason for peoples throttle bodies getting screwed after cleaning is due to them starting the car directly after the cleaning instead of performing all the idle relearns etc? i mean, if i put everything together and go and realize my idle is high and then try to correct it as opposed to putting everything together and then before actually cranking the engine, do the relearn so that the first fire is that of an adjusted throttle idle... catch my drift?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 AM

How many miles did you have on your car f I might ask?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 AM

lol you say "did" as if it were RIP'ing... i currently have 156k bought it at 97k in Feb 09
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 AM

That's a crap-load of miles, son.

I cleaned my '02's TB. The idle was high (~800) before and after. Manually moved the butterfly valve and scrubbed the entire interior of the body nice 'n clean (but not as clean as yours, which is a pretty impressive transformation!), as well as wiping the crap off the butterfly valve and its edges.

Did it when we changed the plugs, since the UIM had to be removed.

The pedal dance never worked, until I hooked a Snap-On MODIS to it and did and electronic idle speed reset. Worked like a charm and I didn't have any more issues with it during the remaining 18 months or so of its life.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:40 PM

hmm yea im thinking i might just take it to the dealer or a mech friend with a machine to hook up... unless there is well versed pedal dancer ( i saw someone coin that term on here) in south florida that wants to help me do it tomorrow lol
Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by vybz05
hmm yea im thinking i might just take it to the dealer or a mech friend with a machine to hook up... unless there is well versed pedal dancer ( i saw someone coin that term on here) in south florida that wants to help me do it tomorrow lol
You may try disconnecting the battery overnight. It worked for me.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 PM

The electronic TB not always it's completely close when you turn off your car.

Once I cleaned the TB of my dad's Pontiac Torrent and the TB remains a little open when the truck it's off. But as soon as you insert the key and put it on "ON" the TB closes as it must be.

Just my 2 pesos, LOL!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Costee
You may try disconnecting the battery overnight. It worked for me.
The battery has been disconnected for about 4 days now... i just installed rear and front valve covers new spark plugs, NWP spacer, NWP VIAS block plate and new fuel injector o-rings... i just finished the job tonight and am gonna fire it up in the morning once all the rtv dries thoroughly.... ill let you all know how it goes... might even do a vid
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by vybz05
The battery has been disconnected for about 4 days now... i just installed rear and front valve covers new spark plugs, NWP spacer, NWP VIAS block plate and new fuel injector o-rings... i just finished the job tonight and am gonna fire it up in the morning once all the rtv dries thoroughly.... ill let you all know how it goes... might even do a vid
looking foward to it
Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM

good info on this tread