5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Irregular Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Irregular Acceleration

2000 Maxima SE Automatic Transmission

Problem originated about 2-3 years ago. Gradual at first, and has now become constant. Seems unaffected by weather for the most part, maybe slightly worse in colder temps.

Maintenance/advice thus far:

- First was told that it was most likely fuel dampener, or O2 sensor. Other issues were considered Transmission fluid, or radiator (needing cleaning or replacement).

- I had fuel dampener replaced, was told it should take care of some issues. Car seemed to drive fine home, after the next few weeks problems returned.

- Had O2 sensor replaced, and transmission fluid replaced and was still suggested to clean radiator or replace it, did not do any work on radiator.

- Problems initially fixed at first fro first couple drives, worst issues were fixed, but irregular acceleration and constant speeds from 15-40 mph are irregular and annoying. My car will tug and relax while keeping pressure on the peddle constant.

- All work done was with Nissan Dealer in the area, I have been happy with their work, but am tired of the high prices, and try to do as much as I can by myself and with my brother.

- The check engine light has been on for over a year straight now, and I am planning on fixing my brakes and working on my exhaust. But have not been able to put a finger on the acceleration issues. I have read threads about transmissions dying and needing replacement etc... I am sure that is not necessarily whats happening with mine since the power output matches the RPMs.

- I am the second owner of this vehicle. This is the original transmission, and am told anytime work has been done that everything is in good shape. I do not drive it hard at all, I actually baby it quite a bit because I have payed it off and don't wanna have new monthly payments on a damn car. Always use premium gas and oil changes are always done within required limits, and I usually do them myself.

- Fluid levels are fine, let me know if I should check anything else?

Thanks

Last edited by GrabYourKankles; 03-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Ok, first off, what codes from the CEL?

To be honest the dealer is hosing you or they don't know what the hell they are doing. Your transmission and radiator have nothing to do with acceleration unless your tranny is slipping. Your symptoms indicate either lack of spark, lack of fuel, a sensor (knock sensor), IACV, MAF, vacuum leak, intake leak, exhaust leak, clogged cats.

Time to do some self-diagnosing, but you need to figure out the CEL first as it could be related. I'm surprised the dealer didn't do anything about the CEL.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM

What code(s) is the check engine light giving you?

Also, while the lack of acceleration is happening, does it start at a certain RPM, go back to normal at a certain RPM? Before the first time you noticed it, what was the most recent work done to the car?

I most likely will not be able to help, but I think these questions could help the other guys help you out.

Edit: Sorry foodmanry you got to it first.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 AM

I would say the throttle body...get the codes checked at autozone and check back
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM

I vote MAF , which you can replace yourself and for the 2000 should cost <$100 online .