5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

E-brake is useless

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 PM

E-brake is useless

I can pull my e-brake as high as it goes and it does nothing. I try to tighten the 10mm bolt below the handle and I can hardly feel any tension build up. I was below the car today to finally secure my megan catback from vibrating and I did not notice anything wrong with the cables. If it was a caliper that needed to be replaced then why would all 4 tires roll on a hill? I did not check the entire assembly very close but I likely will jack up the car tomorrow. Any advice on what to look for?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM

ur e-brake is only for the rear brakes so check out ur rear calipers and the springs hope this helps u out good luck
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM

Either it's worn out badly or stuck. Mine sticks when it's colder outside so I just pull it up at 5mph to break it loose.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 PM

ok here is an easy way to determine if you e-brake is working or not or you calipers are gone... I just spend a good 2 days upgrading to the 6th gen BBK and also replacing the rear brakes as well... If you can get both rear wheels in the air, take the tires of... Have someone pull the hand brake while you watch either caliper... if the line is OK you will notice the rear spring on the caliper move back and forward on each caliper... if you see movement at the caliper then your cables are OK then your problems is most likely the calipers.. if the line does not move then check the areas around the rear jack lift points I have heard sometimes they can get pinched if someone in shop is lifting the car on a lift...
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM

I notice movement on both rear sides. Replace calipers?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM

I know I had a problem like this with the rears on my 4th gen...it was a bad rear caliper.....replaced it and everything was great. The rear calipers had that piston that you had to twist with a special tool for it to compress and it would not compress at all....replaced with new and new pads as well on BOTH rears....it was great then!!! Did not have to pull the e-brake handle up so high after that. If you ahve to keep tightening that screw and nothing happening perhaps your rear brake pads so worn out really bad or you need new rear calipers.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
I know I had a problem like this with the rears on my 4th gen...it was a bad rear caliper.....replaced it and everything was great. The rear calipers had that piston that you had to twist with a special tool for it to compress and it would not compress at all....replaced with new and new pads as well on BOTH rears....it was great then!!! Did not have to pull the e-brake handle up so high after that. If you ahve to keep tightening that screw and nothing happening perhaps your rear brake pads so worn out really bad or you need new rear calipers.
Basically if the rear caliper is in good working order you should be able to use needle nose pliers to push the piston back into the cylinder... the most common problem I have noticed on the rear calipers is usually the rubber seal around the piston pops out and then water gets to the actual part of the piston the sticks outside the cylinder... the piston gets supper rusty and then compressing it back in impossible...

Another weak spot, not just on the rear calipers but all calipers in general are the sliding pins on the caliper bracket that the actual caliper slides on... my rear caliper pins were basically welded in the brackets as they should slide in and out freely... but as seals get old water leaks inside and there you have it a stuck caliper...

Basically, ranmas2004, you need to replace the rear calipers of the car and you will be good to go since your parking brake mechanism is working
Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Disconnect the E-cables from the calipers and move the ebrake handle! Does both cables move? Drop your exaust and remove the heatshields and check at the E-brake handle and r/h and l/h brake tee.....Sound like you have a broken cable or broken tee mechanism
Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
Basically, ranmas2004, you need to replace the rear calipers of the car and you will be good to go since your parking brake mechanism is working
Thanks for the advice, but I'm not the one with the problem. That was the OP...lol.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 AM

I recently (as in late last night) replaced the rear rotors, calipers and pads with all new stuff. I had use of the e-brake before the swap, but I now I have nothing. Everything is repaired, replaced, and reassembled correctly. Is there a way to manually adjust the e-brake? What the hell am I missing? I'm half tempted to trade it in, but I really dont want a payment. Thanks for any/all help.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 AM

First off, it is crazy that this problem has you considering a trade in and car payment. It is a car...this just happens. Take a deep breath and lets figure it out.

Second, you CAN tighten the cable from inside the car where the lever is. There is a small slot that can fit an extension and a 10mm (?) socket. If that does not work then check the cable underneath the car, the calipers again and then a triple check it is all put together correctly.

The e-brake system is not super complex. Lever, cable, caliper.

Edit: were the calipers new, used or reman? Why did you change them? Does the e-brake click all the way up with no tension?

Last edited by 2damax; 11-12-2012 at 08:44 AM.