5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Which Option Do You Think Is Best?
Vogtland Front / H-Tech Rear
22.22%
Tein H-Techs Ride/Look Best As a Whole Package
55.56%
It Looks Fine Stock - Leave it Alone
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Vogtland vs. H-Tech Springs: Input Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:02 PM

im curious, how much did you spend on the vogtland and rear h-tech's?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by killemall2k
im curious, how much did you spend on the vogtland and rear h-tech's?
The Vogt's came out to just under $225 with tax (free shipping).
The H-Techs I bought (barely) used from a fellow 'org member here.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I ran htechs with Illuminas and I didn't like it too much. The ride was rough and bottomed out a lot. It didn't handle all that great either.

Now I'm on coilovers and I love it. Handles so much better. I'm sitting really low and the ride is more comfortable than with the htechs.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM

please post pics, and after a week or two of the install, takes a little time for them to settle.

and the HTech rears are only 1" so you should be fine.

oh yeah please order some struts/shocks, you are eventually going to hate the ride on soft stock struts.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maximized2000
I ran htechs with Illuminas and I didn't like it too much. The ride was rough and bottomed out a lot. It didn't handle all that great either.

Now I'm on coilovers and I love it. Handles so much better. I'm sitting really low and the ride is more comfortable than with the htechs.
Did you have Htechs and Illuminas all around? I'm about to run Htech front only but may actually switch to coilovers (really wanted to wait until Tein SA came out but they're not available yet).

EDIT: Okay maybe they ARE available lol

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8426640

Last edited by Nexus67; 04-05-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
please post pics, and after a week or two of the install, takes a little time for them to settle.

and the HTech rears are only 1" so you should be fine.

oh yeah please order some struts/shocks, you are eventually going to hate the ride on soft stock struts.
Vogtland and H&R are probably the only springs you can run soft shocks and be fine (I've been on stockers a little over a year)
Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 PM

I still haven't received my item shipped confirmation. Getting tempted to cancel order and go for coilovers, lol!

As soon as they go on, I'll post pics!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by EuroDriver
I still haven't received my item shipped confirmation. Getting tempted to cancel order and go for coilovers, lol!

As soon as they go on, I'll post pics!
Now that I see the Tein SA are available I'm not 100% sure I'm putting the Htechs on
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM

NEWS FLASH...

Well, I couldn't help worrying about a disappointing result on the drop or lame ride quality, so....

I just placed my order for a set of BC Racing (BR) coilovers! Check out the group buy section - I picked them up for $899 shipped (shipping insurance included). I'm trying to find out if I can cancel my order on the Vogtlands. If not, they'll be in the classifieds the moment they arrive.

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Now that I see the Tein SA are available I'm not 100% sure I'm putting the Htechs on
I took a look at these, but I didn;t want to take a chance. The twin tube design is very appealing, but the lack of camber adjustment and riding on stock mounts vs. pillowballs just made me wonder too much. If you end up getting them, it will be interesting to compare notes.

Sorry for the disappointing fail on the anticipated experimental review of my intended Vogtland/Tein combo...
Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 AM

You wont be disappointed on the ride on the BCs I love em and for the price another plus, but you said something bout the wife and kid they may get used to it quick, mine drives my car daily and doesn't complain and it has ES bushings all in the front end also....Good Luck....
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM

I took a look at these, but I didn;t want to take a chance. The twin tube design is very appealing, but the lack of camber adjustment and riding on stock mounts vs. pillowballs just made me wonder too much. If you end up getting them, it will be interesting to compare notes.

Sorry for the disappointing fail on the anticipated experimental review of my intended Vogtland/Tein combo...
The Tein's using the stock mounts are a big part of their ride quality/longevity. With that said, the BC's aren't a bad choice!

Last edited by Nexus67; 04-06-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 AM

I am absolutely torn between a new strut and spring combo or coilovers. But at $899 shipped for BC's, now I'm leaning towards coils.

I had originally been looking at the SS's, but compared to the price of a strut/spring setup they were too much. I have to keep reminding myself its a 10yr old car and I'm only planning on driving it another 2-3yrs.

I'm not gonna be financially ready to pull the trigger til June probly anyway, but I have been doing some serious reading and BC's might be the route I go now. I wasn't aware of the group buy, I wonder how much the price would come up from there since I'm in Canada. I'm gonna message JM and see what they have to say.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM

But Wait - There's More...

*EDIT*

Deleted update - BC-BR coilovers arriving Monday

Last edited by EuroDriver; 04-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 PM

i want a ride in these bcs , they are gettin as much praise as the TEINS and $200 cheaper.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vogtland's

I have been convincing myself to lower my ride in the near future. I have read pleanty of threads on the subject, and have narrowed down my options to the following:

1) Vogtland Springs in Front / Tein H-Techs in Rear
2) Tein H-Techs All Around

My decision is based on the objective of compromising ride quality as little as possible, improve handling/cornering stability and eliminating the appearance of the front end sitting higher due to the huge wheel gap.

That being said, I opted not to go with H&R's because my car sits a little lower than usual (I suspect my coils are weak, but I don't mind because it looks better and rides great, although on bigger dips it seems to almost bottom out - no strut rebound though) and it will end up looking the same, since H&R's don't drop the front much, and the overall drop is even, vs. a greater drop from the Teins. My solution would be H-Techs in the rear to minimize the drop and with either Teins or Vogtlands in front, at least aesthetically make the car look even, although it will probably be raked a bit. Here's what my car currently looks like with stock suspension:

It would seem that going with Teins all around should be my first choice, but I suspect that Vogtland is a better product, and I'm wondering whether the Vogtlands would offer the same ride quality. Not much is known of the Vogtlands for the A33, but I know the brand is the go-to choice on German vehicles. They have a sound reputation, arguably superior craftsmanship and as such, I'm looking for opinions and user experiences with these two brands.

From what I have read, the jury is still out whether the Vogtlands are harsher than the Teins. Of the little feedback I found, half say yes, half say no. Also, I have read that when they settle, they drop a little more than the H&R's, which would be ideal.

So then, please tell me your experience either or both of these springs (especially those of you who use/have used the Vogtlands) and your opinions on my project plans are equally welcome...
I'm using them on four corners and I love them. Not too stiff and the rear doesn't sag like H&R's.