5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SRS catback review

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 AM

I mis read what Spock said... Thought he said a 28" resonator... The 22" won't help.... At all
Old 04-11-2012, 04:58 AM

Also the y pipe don't help
Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Also the y pipe don't help
In that the Cattman Y adds noise to the exhaust, that's true. But it doesn't introduce drone, just a deeper tone...

...which spock knows, because he had his Cattman Y-Pipe on for months before installing this SRS cat-back.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:59 AM

I have the same and yes the drone can be loud. It has a good rasp and burble- and the price is hard to beat.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:02 AM

I have the same problem with my exhaust. I had the full megan catback and it sounded great, not loud at all, but after installing the headers the drone became unbearable from 2,000-2,500rpms. I have a six speed too. For now, I have installed my stock axle back to the megan b-pipe and the car sounds nearly stock again. No drone and very quite. I took my car into an exhaust shop and the best we could be by holding the different magnaflow resonators up to estimate fitment, was to either install one 28" body 6" diameter resonator or two 14" long, 4" diameter resonators. I would think the latter would be best because drone and volume are two different things. With drone, you want to somehow change the frequency of the sound waves traveling through the pipes and I think having two resonators would have a better chance at effectively doing that. As Chris mentioned earlier, 350z, 370z, BMW, etc., have weird rubber blocks and pieces of metal welded onto their exhaust systems for the very reason to absorb the frequencies causing drone.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM

Sorry to hear about your disapproval with SRS spock, Im sure you took your time making the decision, with all the hassle and extra cost that can occur with shipping for us here in Canada.

I'm planning on buying the super cheap eBay potato launcher special soon, at under $180 shipped its worth it to me just for the piping.

Eventually I plan to remove the potato launcher and replace with either my stock muffler or a G muffler if I can find one.

I have gutted catts, a cattman y(which you which I got in the same buy as you, thanks man! But unfortunately is back to cattman for repair ), and stock everything back from that. I know the b pipe was replaced in the stock system, and the resonator actually looks very similar to the one on the eBay cat back.

I'm hoping with the silencer in, the sound won't be to loud until I can get my muffler decision made. I've read a couple threads saying that it does makes it a lot better.

Good luck with the 22" resonator, and hopefully it quiets down naturally a bit for you as well. I will start a thread for my exhaust set up once I get the ball rolling, and be sure to report my impressions of the cheaper potato launcher version
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
I think so & the 4th gen exhaust has a single 4" (potato launcher) muffler tip.
If its a knockoff then you should be able to buy the real muffler and fit it up perfect. Save the money on the b-pipe. thats an idea
Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
I mis read what Spock said... Thought he said a 28" resonator... The 22" won't help.... At all
28" overall 22" body
Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Brl24
Sorry to hear about your disapproval with SRS spock, Im sure you took your time making the decision, with all the hassle and extra cost that can occur with shipping for us here in Canada.
I'm sorry spock's unsatisfied too, since I recommended it. Spock did lots of research saw the review and heard the soundfiles of my SR*S before purchase. Unfortunately, when we mod our cars with aftermarket parts. There's always a chance the outcome isn't what we expected. As Rochester aptly said "One man's noise is another man's music." The SR*S sound/drone isn't obnoxious in my opinion. Others with an SR*S may agree or disagree on that. But in spock's case it's totally unacceptable. He's entitled to that opinion. Fortunately the SR*S isn't an expensive (even to Canada) disappointment.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:31 PM

It's a lesson learned, for sure. I truly don't believe the 22" res will be satisfactory. I will likely try it anyway and then install either a Bosal or Walker muffler. A shame, really. because I do like the looks and the top end gains. I just found out today that a new muffler is $413 @ the dealer. I was quite surprised, as on line US prices are all of that. If I had have checked in the first place, that's the route I likely would have taken. Again, lesson learned.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by spock
It's a lesson learned, for sure. I truly don't believe the 22" res will be satisfactory. I will likely try it anyway and then install either a Bosal or Walker muffler. A shame, really. because I do like the looks and the top end gains. I just found out today that a new muffler is $413 @ the dealer. I was quite surprised, as on line US prices are all of that. If I had have checked in the first place, that's the route I likely would have taken. Again, lesson learned.
Again, my apologies on your disappointment with the SR*S. But from your description of the drone, price of an OEM muffler & since you still have the OEM B-Pipe. The best advice I can give is what I stated here.

Sorry to say, if the SR*S is totally unacceptable now. I suspect the 22" resonator would only make it slightly more tolerable. Perhaps your best solution is to go OEM ASAP & sell the SR*S intact as used. You'd recoup most of the SR*S cost & I'm sure there's others that would be satisfied with it.
You'll have a proven exhaust setup, avoid the added expense of a (questionable) 22" resonator install & NOT "Throw good money after bad" so to speak.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Not to seem like I'm taking advantage of your disappointment but if you're thinking about selling the SRS setup to get into something else, I'm an interested buyer. I even live in Ontario.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Again, my apologies on your disappointment with the SR*S. But from your description of the drone, price of an OEM muffler & since you still have the OEM B-Pipe. The best advice I can give is what I stated here.

You'll have a proven exhaust setup, avoid the added expense of a (questionable) 22" resonator install & NOT "Throw good money after bad" so to speak.
You put great effort into providing me with all the info you could. I thank you for that. It was my choice, I made my decision. It just didn't turn out the way I thought it would.
I'm going to sit on it for a week or so and think about the solution. It's down to new muffler, (oem or cheap aftermarket), or fabbing up a G35 muffler. I need to do a little research.
Too bad, I like the looks and the performance. The offset tips are not an issue for me, kind of unique and not @ all fugly.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
Not to seem like I'm taking advantage of your disappointment but if you're thinking about selling the SRS setup to get into something else, I'm an interested buyer. I even live in Ontario.
Well the axle back is pretty much for sure available. Not sure about the rest yet, but probably the new Magnaflow resonator that I ordered in haste as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 PM

No probs. Just PM me if you decide to sell all of it.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 PM

Won't ever like it in it's current state. It doesn't help that the wife drives the car and says "It's broken and I'm embarassed to drive it."
Something must change.
This is how I feel about cars that have loud exhausts. It's nice to have the noise when you goose on it, but to hear it all the time just sounds like crap.

Let me rephrase that actually, it sounds like crap to EVERYONE BUT YOU when you're driving.

The noise in the car if it lacks drone/rasp almost always sounds good with a loud exhaust. But once you get outside the car, it almost always sounds like your car is a broken POS, or simply, has a ridiculous exhaust.

To have a car as loud as many guys do is effing retarded. There I said it.

Spock, you know where my vote lies on this bro, as we discussed in PM, Take this G35 muffler (2.5" in/out), cut the nice tips off the SRS muffler, weld the tips ontot he G35 muffler, and weld the g35 muffler on the car.
Oh, and paint the body of the G35 muffler BBQ paint Black

Problem solved, only cost is labour and gas to come pick it up.

I THINK Most guys here are relating to "drone" as the noise you're complaining about. I didn't get the impression that was accurate.
I interpreted that it's very simply, Too LOUD. The only reasonably way IMO to signifigantly change that is to replace the muffler.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 AM

You put great effort into providing me with all the info you could. I thank you for that. It was my choice, I made my decision. It just didn't turn out the way I thought it would.
I'm going to sit on it for a week or so and think about the solution. It's down to new muffler, (oem or cheap aftermarket), or fabbing up a G35 muffler. I need to do a little research.
Too bad, I like the looks and the performance. The offset tips are not an issue for me, kind of unique and not @ all fugly.
Glad there's no hard feelings, I honestly tried my best to represent the SR*S accurately. I sincerely hope you get the issue sorted out to your satisfaction. Funny you noticed a performance increase, I did too, but didn't want to go down that road without substantial proof over a 'butt-dyno' perception. Heh...heh...I agree 100% on the look of the tips. IMO they blend nicely w/the overall look of the rear bumper, but that's subjective too.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:29 AM

Tuner, is merovi's car too loud? How about knight_yyz's?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 AM

95vq30 is that setup with or without the main cat? Sounds good either way.

I'm probably going to have the same setup but of course in auto fashion.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Tuner, is merovi's car too loud? How about knight_yyz's?
Is this a trick question?

I would say they're both borderline for MY taste. Taste is subjective, of course.

I wouldn't hesitate mounting a cattman exhaust on my Maxima, I love the sound of them. It is for me just on the cusp of being too loud, but only the cusp.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Is this a trick question?
Yes. This was a test.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

...I wouldn't hesitate mounting a cattman exhaust on my Maxima, I love the sound of them. It is for me just on the cusp of being too loud, but only the cusp.
In that case, the SRS is on, or below, your cusp.

Exhaust is subjective, but you can't classify everything by monetary costs. ie comparatively priced catbacks =/= SRS
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 02AutoMax
95vq30 is that setup with or without the main cat? Sounds good either way.

I'm probably going to have the same setup but of course in auto fashion.
Cat is there- no precats because of headers.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
In that case, the SRS is on, or below, your cusp.
Exhaust is subjective, but you can't classify everything by monetary costs. ie comparatively priced catbacks =/= SRS
Heh, I was just going to say the same thing Nelledge! The SR*S outside the car is IMHO quieter than the 2.5" Cattman. I consider that exhaust a bit too loud for my taste. For example, If I stand on the drivers side of the car I can clearly hear the electric fuel pump whirring while it's idling. From roughly 10' away the exhaust is barely audible. Though it drones inside the car, I usually have my OEM Clarion audio system set on 10-15(02 head unit). That's enough volume to overpower the drone for the most part. So considering those examples, that's not too loud by my estimation.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:05 PM

I want to know where I can get the LOUDEST exhaust. My arch nemesis (fiances ex) drives a civic and has loud a** exhaust. Of course its a honda (puke in my mouth) I know my car is better but I want to drowned his exhaust out. Suggestions?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Suggestion? Sure:

Ask her how her day was. She'll drown out anything and everything else
Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 PM

true...good point. See my problem is when he shows up at my house to pick up his daughter he will rap his engine so hard and its loud and childish...so I want to show him what a real car sounds like...and be louder and childish
Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 PM

well just whip it out and take a ruler to find out whose is bigger.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
No probs. Just PM me if you decide to sell all of it.
Sorry man, but went and picked up the g35 muff from Tuner today-Thanks!
The SRS muff will become a doner for the tips and possibly hanger rods.. The rest will stay.
I have high hopes for this configuration of being what I'm after. Low noise, some rumble when I get on it, the apparent top end gain with the 2.5" and the return of low end power with the valved muffler.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
well just whip it out and take a ruler to find out whose is bigger.

Install an electric cut out or you could challenge him to a race and wait for him to wet his pants.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM

I wouldn't hesitate mounting a cattman exhaust on my Maxima, I love the sound of them. It is for me just on the cusp of being too loud, but only the cusp.
Since Spock picked up the muffler I assume you heard the SR*S exhaust. Is it really THAT obnoxious? Because ever since he mentioned it, I've been listening to mine VERY carefully. It still sounds extremely subdued and mellow on my car. I wonder if the Y-Pipe makes that much of a difference or maybe the outside chance he got a defective exhaust. China/Taiwan etc. QC is far from perfect.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Sorry man, but went and picked up the g35 muff from Tuner today-Thanks!
No probs. Thanks for the note. Hope everything works out for you. I've been emailing with Bob's suggested vendor and hope to pick one up in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Since Spock picked up the muffler I assume you heard the SR*S exhaust. Is it really THAT obnoxious? Because ever since he mentioned it, I've been listening to mine VERY carefully. It still sounds extremely subdued and mellow on my car. I wonder if the Y-Pipe makes that much of a difference or maybe the outside chance he got a defective exhaust. China/Taiwan etc. QC is far from perfect.
It's not bad, it sounds great, not raspy, etc.

For me the noise is acceptable, but not for a Maxima, and especially not an Infiniti I35. I'm speaking more to the cars "image" than it's performance abilities, etc.

This is a 4 door door family sedan, not a sports car, and to me, I'd rather have a low-key quiet 4 door family sedan, that's inconspicuously fast.

That's why I planned on SRS with the G muffler, and SRS tips, which is the plan Spock's adopted, now that I have a Actual 4DSC
And even on the G, I will not be installing an obnoxious muffler. We all have preferances, and my view differs from many/most on this board.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 04-16-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM

It's not bad, it sounds great, not raspy, etc.

For me the noise is acceptable, but not for a Maxima, and especially not an Infiniti I35. I'm speaking more to the cars "image" than it's performance abilities, etc.

This is a 4 door door family sedan, not a sports car, and to me, I'd rather have a low-key quiet 4 door family sedan, that's inconspicuously fast.

That's why I planned on SRS with the G muffler, and SRS tips, which is the plan Spock's adopted, now that I have a Actual 4DSC
And even on the G, I will not be installing an obnoxious muffler. We all have preferances, and my view differs from many/most on this board.
Well, coming from you I can accept that opinion. It's a valid assessment in your perception of the car's "image". I happen to like a slightly 'ballsy' exhaust sound that hints at the 'sport' aspect in a sport sedan. Which is my personal perception of a Maxima. When I think 4 door family sedan I picture a Camry. But as you say it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 PM

Yeah I just prefer to stay low key.

Come to think of it, Isn't it your signature, in fact, that states precisely the point I'm trying to get across about my preferance, and the reason for it?

"One of the chief benefits of a sport sedan is the ability to go fast without attracting too much attention."
Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM

The SRS sounds great. Like I and Tuner have stated - no rasp, no fart. It has a nice deep tone. It's just too loud for me. The trip to Matt's confirmed this. The trip is almost all highway @ 120km -75 mph, (100km speed limit). At this speed it's not that irritating, until you start putting the engine under load going up hill. Then the drone or loud is too much for me.
In town is the worst. Being an auto, it shifts to 3rd or 4th @ low speed when driving realtivly slow. Under load @ 1.5k - 2.5k @ around 35 -45 mph is why the muffler has to go.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM

highway speeds, 6th gear, headers and cat back do not go well together

But the SRS does have a very crisp and refined sound; and I am so addicted to the off pedal burble and popping.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Popping must come with the headers because I have none of that with the SRS on mine.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Yeah I just prefer to stay low key.

Come to think of it, Isn't it your signature, in fact, that states precisely the point I'm trying to get across about my preferance, and the reason for it?

"One of the chief benefits of a sport sedan is the ability to go fast without attracting too much attention."
Oh yeah, we're on the same page. It's just a matter of degree & personal preference. If my exhaust was much louder, I'd be disappointed too. The SR*S is <IMHO> the quietest & most subdued note, of any performance exhaust I've heard so far. Also one of the reasons I'm not into the slammed & stanced look.

Last edited by BobPezz; 04-16-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM

judging by this thread, SR*S is going to be my choice of cat-back if and when I get one.

Quick Reply: SRS catback review