5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

headers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

headers??

Im going to buy headers for my 2001 maxima and i was wondering if headers for a 95-99 would fit?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:12 PM

Yes.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Headers from a 1977 Camaro will fit better.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Yes they will...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Haa no way im buy some then
Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thankss
Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by GeRmAn_13
Thankss
Which ones are you getting....
Old 04-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i wish someone will come out with new heads/y for the 35 , cattman is like trying to find gold in the street and obx is a pain in the *** to install .i always wonder how megan makes them for the altima but not the maxima ...smh
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by WhoDatBuuL
i wish someone will come out with new heads/y for the 35 , cattman is like trying to find gold in the street and obx is a pain in the *** to install .i always wonder how megan makes them for the altima but not the maxima ...smh
Send them a msg..... And just so u know, cattman or OBX is a bytch to install lol... OBX just worse Lmao
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Send them a msg..... And just so u know, cattman or OBX is a bytch to install lol... OBX just worse Lmao
Should add, what makes it most difficult is the removal of the old stuff. OBX is worse due to some modifications needed in order to get them to install properly and with no codes.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

wrong! 1978 volare perfect fit and flow better then hotshots!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thas funny everyone i know that has cattman didnt have a issue on the install , i dont wanta get obx just because of the few moddin u gota do make it fit , and you know whas funny i wrote megan racing this LONGGG behind letter 2 times and never got a answer smh. so good for their customer service
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM

I have a set of OBX v2 install wasn't that bad
Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM

thas funny everyone i know that has cattman didnt have a issue on the install , i dont wanta get obx just because of the few moddin u gota do make it fit , and you know whas funny i wrote megan racing this LONGGG behind letter 2 times and never got a answer smh. so good for their customer service
A big, Chinese aftermarket company that's already successful at making parts for hundreds of different car makes and models. Do you think they'd really want to stop what they're doing, do the R&D, and build a set of headers for a car that only a small handful of people modify?

No, they'd rather continue making money on what they already have, and pursue cars with a bigger, more competitive aftermarket. Stopping what they're doing to make headers for a Maxima would be a loss of profit for them.

Not trying to be rude or nasty. Just being realistic about capitalism here...
Old 04-23-2012, 01:07 PM

I have cattmans for sale. Gen 2's, but in ny. PM if interested
Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Dammit, I am sick of people assuming that the obx's are excruciatingly painful to install. My obx's were a breeze to install. NO MODIFICATION NECESSARY! Although it may be hit or miss with them because the proximity to the motor mount brackets and subframe is very close, but either way the modifications if necessary are extremely easy to do. And I was able to not have any codes since obx headers come with ports for all four o2 sensors, unlike the cattman. See my thread linked below for detailed installation.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-comments.html
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
Dammit, I am sick of people assuming that the obx's are excruciatingly painful to install. My obx's were a breeze to install. NO MODIFICATION NECESSARY! Although it may be hit or miss with them because the proximity to the motor mount brackets and subframe is very close, but either way the modifications if necessary are extremely easy to do. And I was able to not have any codes since obx headers come with ports for all four o2 sensors, unlike the cattman. See my thread linked below for detailed installation.

^^^^^^^^
Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM

A big, Chinese aftermarket company that's already successful at making parts for hundreds of different car makes and models. Do you think they'd really want to stop what they're doing, do the R&D, and build a set of headers for a car that only a small handful of people modify?

No, they'd rather continue making money on what they already have, and pursue cars with a bigger, more competitive aftermarket. Stopping what they're doing to make headers for a Maxima would be a loss of profit for them.

Not trying to be rude or nasty. Just being realistic about capitalism here...
^^
Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase

I don't see how you didn't throw a code. I've thrown a code on every single Nissan I've pulled the cats off of and put test pipes on.

Unless you've got an O2 sim or cheaters or something.

Your headers must be the only set out of all of them made to require no modifications to fit. Every person I've spoken to on installing these has had to remove the shield on the rear motor mount. Which is not a big deal. But you have to do it.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
dot dot dot ...

I still need to try my theory but IIRC 03BLKTE has no cheaters, etc and also has no codes.

I don't have secondary O2 sensor codes either and I haz no cats.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bgsl1ck
I have a set of OBX v2 install wasn't that bad
1st i heard this
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I still need to try my theory but IIRC 03BLKTE has no cheaters, etc and also has no codes.

I don't have secondary O2 sensor codes either and I haz no cats.
When I had my 02, my SES light would come and go as it pleased. I had the secondaries zip tied up in the engine bay, though, instead of installed on the exhaust.

On my '03 with gutted cats, I had an SES, and the same goes for the test pipes on my G.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:18 PM

5.5 gen exhaust manifolds ported, gutted cats, and a modified stock y to a 2.5" collector is better than headers and a cleaner/sportier sound, not loud, and a smoother power curve. If anyone is interested in my "Stock Header" setup, shoot me a pm. It's really something anyone with a 5th gen should consider.

I'm working on a set right now. I'll upload a pics and/or start a new thread if if anyone is interested in seeing what exactly I do.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by LI_Max_WOT
5.5 gen exhaust manifolds ported, gutted cats, and a modified stock y to a 2.5" collector is better than headers and a cleaner/sportier sound, not loud, and a smoother power curve. If anyone is interested in my "Stock Header" setup, shoot me a pm. It's really something anyone with a 5th gen should consider.

I'm working on a set right now. I'll upload a pics and/or start a new thread if if anyone is interested in seeing what exactly I do.
Sooo, you're saying that your set up is better than headers, because it's yours.

Any conclusive evidence to back up these claims? Or just your butt-dyno?

Either way, nice attempt to sell your wares.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Seriously though. Dyno? Track times?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM

By cheaters, I do have the antifoulers on the secondaries. No ses for well over two thousand miles. LI MAX, you ever sell my stock headers and get that secondary sensor out?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Lol took 2 of my friends about 8hrs on the cattman headers... They are just a bish no matter the brand
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 PM

TunerMaxima3000: Sooo, you're saying that your set up is better than headers, because it's yours.

Any conclusive evidence to back up these claims? Or just your butt-dyno?

Either way, nice attempt to sell your wares.
Hah, thanks I thought it was a pretty weak attempt myself. Na no dyno, yet, but just a half second drop in 0-60 times in a controlled experiment without a tune. That's all. IMO, this is one of the more practical tests, testing the ENTIRE powerband, not just certain rpm. Dyno's are unreliable and track times just measure straight line runs, where most of the time is spent in the upper powerband which is used much less frequently than the low- and mid-range. I don't think headers provide that impressive of gains.. The volumetric efficiency of the stock manifolds and cats is greater than that of headers, thusly creating a smoother power curve.

schmellyfart:

Seriously though. Dyno? Track times?
^^^ same response... so yea, half second drop in 0-60 times isn't impressive??

Before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDmNk...38UrgBIkSQcw8=

Good launch, best 1-2 shift

After: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lZeK...38UrgBIkSQcw8=

Better launch, worse 1-2 shift.. over 60 I sort of had a delayed reaction to keep going haha, there is definitely some power to be gained with larger injectors

Tested on the exact same length of roadway.. was it downhill?!?!? Was that some smooooooth power or what?!?! Is that factual evidence enough? or you still don't believe me? All you need for my "stock headers" is a pair of o2 spacers... and they fit like a glove. Your turn now

02whitemaximase: LI MAX, you ever sell my stock headers and get that secondary sensor out?
Ported, polished, gutted, installed.. gained some serious power with your donation That secondary sensor took a torch the get out, luckily my buddy with a shop and good equipment was able to take a few minutes to help me rip that out and rethread the port ^^ check before and after vids, I'm currently doing the same thing with my old manifolds/cats and hooking someone up with the same setup!

Grand_hustle17 Quote:

Lol took 2 of my friends about 8hrs on the cattman headers... They are just a bish no matter the brand
Not mine..
Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 PM

1st i heard this
Plenty of people eur don't have problems with install some that do
Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 PM

I don't really agree with your concept for rating power bands, etc. A controlled dyno eliminates as many variables as possible, pretty well.

it also actually shows you your power band.....

Anyways, did you do this 'run' previously WITH headers, then afterwards with your modified set up?

Or are you comparing your modified set up to stock?

Cause if so........
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM

i would like to see it. post what you did with pics.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM

TunerMaxima3000: I don't really agree with your concept for rating power bands, etc. A controlled dyno eliminates as many variables as possible, pretty well.

it also actually shows you your power band.....

Anyways, did you do this 'run' previously WITH headers, then afterwards with your modified set up?

Or are you comparing your modified set up to stock?
To each his own, just stating my opinion. Dyno's are good, but for my setup there are things which will make a dyno certainly inaccurate, but that's my secret. Soon, I'll be tuning on the fly. I want to break below 5 second 0-60, hopefully down to mid 4s on street tires. And give some exotics runs they won't forget

First video: a few mods + stock exhaust manifolds/cats
Second video: same mods + my "stock headers" modification

Cause if so........
Was that a good or bad dot dot dot??
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by bgsl1ck
Plenty of people eur don't have problems with install some that do
never said they had problems they get done here on the regular, i just said they are a bish to do... whichever ones you do
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM

To each his own, just stating my opinion. Dyno's are good, but for my setup there are things which will make a dyno certainly inaccurate, but that's my secret. Soon, I'll be tuning on the fly. I want to break below 5 second 0-60, hopefully down to mid 4s on street tires. And give some exotics runs they won't forget

how can you tell a dyno is inaccurate??? a dyno is more for adjusting AFR's the numbers you get is soley a bonus and a good one but how can you proove its inaccurate, what device do you use to prove that?? how r u so sure ur methods are 100% correct?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by maurice240sx
Down for pics also....
Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Rods03Max619 Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice240sx

Down for pics also....
I'm trying to sell some of these setups guys, I can't tell you exactly how I do it. It's basically a port and polish of the manifolds, and gutting the cats. To give you a sense of the intensity of the labor, it takes around 15-20 hours for me to complete a set, and I know what I'm doing with it. And a hell of alot of grinding bits are used. I'm working on a set now I'll start a thread with some teaser pics soon. But I never give my secrets away entirely.

Grand_hustle17 Quote:

how can you tell a dyno is inaccurate??? a dyno is more for adjusting AFR's the numbers you get is soley a bonus and a good one but how can you proove its inaccurate, what device do you use to prove that?? how r u so sure ur methods are 100% correct?
I'm not saying a dyno is inaccurate. I'm saying that in my case, I have a modification which requires real life driving situations to be properly tuned (actually moving through air), mine is a unique case different than most. That's why I will have to tune on the fly, eventually.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 PM

Are there numbers for the obx headers for a 2002 ? Cattman shows numbers but cattmans are also double the price of obx....

I wont be installing either myself so I also have to think about the cost of labor+getting them to Toronto
Old 04-24-2012, 12:20 AM

I installed the OBX-R V2's on my 4th gen. Sure a little cutting but seriously.. It's not complicated. The gains are way worth the effort IMO. I don't throw codes for it, but I also don't have 4 O2's.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 AM

To each his own, just stating my opinion.
This is fair. You're entitled to your opinion.

Soon, I'll be tuning on the fly. I want to break below 5 second 0-60, hopefully down to mid 4s on street tires. And give some exotics runs they won't forget

So, yo'ure comparing stock setup to your ported manifolds, and gutted cats, well, yes, there will be a signifigant increase.....

I assume you've done this comparison to headers, or how are you making hte claim that your setup is superior to headers? Perhaps you're just assuming it is?

Dyno's are good, but for my setup there are things which will make a dyno certainly inaccurate, but that's my secret.
I'm not saying a dyno is inaccurate. I'm saying that in my case, I have a modification which requires real life driving situations to be properly tuned (actually moving through air), mine is a unique case different than most. That's why I will have to tune on the fly, eventually.
So, somehow, you think that your setup differs from the rest of the car's in the world that use dyno's to tune? I cannot envision one thing that you've done, that for whatever reason, requires you to be physically moving in order to properly gauge the difference or tune the car.

they have wind tunnels, that simulate air passing over the car dude, have you ever even seen a dyno room that's done properly?

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 04-24-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
I installed the OBX-R V2's on my 4th gen. Sure a little cutting but seriously.. It's not complicated. The gains are way worth the effort IMO. I don't throw codes for it, but I also don't have 4 O2's.
smh... that classified as being a pain lol... not to you, but on a general scale thats a pain lol

Quick Reply: headers??