5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

headers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
When we proved him wrong about headers, he canned that idea and started talking about his larger maf adapter. Which can be made in about 5 minutes with parts from AutoZone I might add.
I guess some people are just too dense to get the fact, it's all been done before. Like the 'Factory Headers' (Gutted Pre-Cats & Y-Pipe) or a simple Big MAF Adaptor. Trying to SELL old ideas (with a new spin) to .ORG members is a delusion of grandeur! They're too smart for that, which makes it all the more ridiculous. The reincarnation of 'P.T. Barnum' might fool some 'suckers' on a 'ricer' forum, but not here.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by LI_Max_WOT
That's what I did + half an inch larger. Cross-sectional area increased substantially, and a venturi cone in front of the MAF sensor, to speed up incoming air, as well as reduce turbulence in the entire intake system. But then again, I'm just theorizing and apparently I'm crazy.

... as stated before, comparison dyno monday or tuesday.. Gains will be substantiated and pricing scheduled accordingly. Don't expect this to be sold at a steal of a price anymore. That is all.
Air filter, large area, lots of turbulence.

Oversized intermediate maf adapter, with sudden sharp drop in size to MAFS, lots of turbulence, combine a venturi effect x2 right next to each other. Ton of turbulence.

Then a stock resonator/baffle, large turbulent zone, then teh stock MANUFACTURED venturi at the Throttle body.

Somehow, you think this set up will DECREASE turbulence? No. And it's STILL a SRI with a stock MAFS, this will almost certainly cause a loss in power across the bulk of the range, with a slight increase in peak HP due to the short size compared to stock.

Adding a bunch of venturi's to "speed up" the intake air isn't going to work. Less is more. One velocity stack at the main inlet (filter), and then even piping with NO CROSS SECTIONAL CHANGES, TUNED & CALCULATED LENGTH, and the stock venturi at the TB.

That is all.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 05-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Air filter, large area, lots of turbulence.
Oversized intermediate maf adapter, with sudden sharp drop in size to MAFS, lots of turbulence, combine a venturi effect x2 right next to each other. Ton of turbulence.
Then a stock resonator/baffle, large turbulent zone, then teh stock MANUFACTURED venturi at the Throttle body.
Somehow, you think this set up will DECREASE turbulence? No. And it's STILL a SRI with a stock MAFS, this will almost certainly cause a loss in power across the bulk of the range, with a slight increase in peak HP due to the short size compared to stock.
Adding a bunch of venturi's to "speed up" the intake air isn't going to work. Less is more. One velocity stack at the main inlet (filter), and then even piping with NO CROSS SECTIONAL CHANGES, TUNED & CALCULATED LENGTH, and the stock venturi at the TB.
That is all.
Dual Pipe Catback VS. Stock Y-Pipe Modification... Question(s)
The goal of this mod is to keep torque 3000< rpm the same or improved, increase mid-range power at 3k - 4.5k, and especially to open up the top end over 4.5k. I'm currently on the stock exhaust, and intake mods include a SRI and NWP spacers with a port-matched uim/elbow. I've never been dyno'ed or tuned, but each piece of the puzzle has been added separately to allow the computer to self-calibrate itself. The current status of the car, IMO, is that it hits peak torque at 4k rpm and then just rides an upward hp curve with a plateau at around 6k rpm. To achieve a meaner hp spike over 5.5k is the goal here, without sacrificing low or mid-range power and keeping the sound levels low. I'm not in the habit of what I call "trading power" (losing low end torque for high end hp), the goal here is a gain in the entire power band. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Give it up! LI_Max is NOT open to feedback, whenever it's given he gets offended. Remember the above thread? The OP (LI_Max) was focused maintaining Low-End/Mid-Range Torque w/Top-End HP "spike". ORG members schooled him & despite that, he promoted the "Factory Headers' BS. Now the guy is SELLING a BS big bore SRI. It's well documented, as a setup that sacrifices low end power for gains on top. Usually WITH SUPPORTING MODS and/or extended redline. LI_Max's contradictions magnified by more contradictions & speculation. Is more than enough proof for me, the guy is looking up his butthole with a flashlight. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM

headers?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

On the header note, you can use the VSS to quantify 0-60. I've done that a few times.