5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gen Off Topic Thread (Official Ghustle thread v1)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012 | 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
not going to happen That car waas kept well and cleaned regular i would personally eat off that engine
Even still... The 3000 miles plus hotels and food and whatnot. It's same cost to get them put in without the traveling. Just not viable right now even though the headers are priced right.
Old 05-15-2012 | 07:19 AM

Also, 15mm hubcentric spacers for sale good deal too.
Old 05-15-2012 | 07:20 AM

aackshun what would it take to transplant the 3.5 into the 97 and be code free?
Well it's.... Hrmm... See below.....

Originally Posted by essential1
Do you want to do it with 3.0 timing? Or do you want to do the full ecu swap? It's actually pretty easy to swap with no cel.
^ This.

without opening the engine if possible see i changed the waterpump and timing chain/tensioners and f/r seals on the 97 and i'm not feeling too sure of myself on this engine starting up again

Originally Posted by merovi
The TEINS don't have preload adjustment, they also don't have pillowballs. I'm going to check out the bolts coming up soon though.

Tempting offer for install... i'm more so worried about bolts breaking off in the heads though. That's my fear.
How does one adjust the height on the coilovers then?

Can you get a picture of the strut for me plz?

If they didn't break on the white nightmare, I guarantee they won't break on your car.
Old 05-15-2012 | 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aackshun
Well it's.... Hrmm... See below.....

^ This.

If they didn't break on the white nightmare, I guarantee they won't break on your car.
dont get me wrong im pretty **** about doing things right just that @ 385k on the clock she may not recover from the work
Old 05-15-2012 | 07:27 AM

Name:  100_2514-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  124.1 KB

You adjust them using the 2 collars but there is no 3rd collar at the bottom. They do no spin into the strut. There is no preload

Mine are also a lot lower, there are like 2-3 threads showing form the bottom to the collar.
Old 05-15-2012 | 07:34 AM

hellaflush lowering kit. Bout time they came out with a affordable kit for it

Old 05-15-2012 | 08:09 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

[IMG]blurryphoto.jpg[/IMG]

You adjust them using the 2 collars but there is no 3rd collar at the bottom. They do no spin into the strut. There is no preload

Mine are also a lot lower, there are like 2-3 threads showing form the bottom to the collar.
You're too low for that style of coilover. The spring must always be constrained. If you have a point where there is no load on the spring, the spring will move axially and cause the binding you're hearing. It would be nice to see a good photo of your actual coilover. I bet that's your problem.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
You're too low for that style of coilover. The spring must always be constrained. If you have a point where there is no load on the spring, the spring will move axially and cause the binding you're hearing. It would be nice to see a good photo of your actual coilover. I bet that's your problem.
Why would they design the coil to go that low but then have issues when you do? The load on the spring in the front is very minimal I can tell you that. I figured that's where the noise came from. I think i'm going to try and put in the rubber mount top to sit between the spring and the top metal perch. It's not part of the kit but was a recommended idea.

Still makes no sense why they would allow someone to adjust that low only if it was going to give problems. I can't get pics of mine until maybe tomorrow.

Also, when the car is down on the ground there is plenty of tension on the spring, it's just when it's in the air.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:17 AM

On the tein ss, preload is height dependant. However preload is not always needed but it is a good idea to have some.

On my tein ss, I have no preload and have about 2-3mm from the bottom of the shock left. When the car is back on the ground, the spring compresses.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:18 AM

dont get me wrong im pretty **** about doing things right just that @ 385k on the clock she may not recover from the work
Still though....

yuuuuup.

I still have a hard time imagining how to adjust this compared to mine

Old 05-15-2012 | 08:19 AM

And I have no issues with my set-up or any noises. However I am using rubber spring isolaters on the top coil and bottom coil of the spring. Metal against metal always causes issues.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:20 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
On the tein ss, preload is height dependant. However preload is not always needed but it is a good idea to have some.

On my tein ss, I have no preload and have about 2-3mm from the bottom of the shock left. When the car is back on the ground, the spring compresses.
Hm. Is that on your 5th or 4th? Also, are your SSs full length adjustable or only height adjustable?
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:22 AM

tuner you get that stuff working?
Your idea to use the ccfl ballasts worked for hte EL.

I just haven't had time to touch them aside from that test. I need to finish some other stuff before starting anything new!!!
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:23 AM

I have tein ss on my 4th gen and 5th gen
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:26 AM

And I have no issues with my set-up or any noises. However I am using rubber spring isolaters on the top coil and bottom coil of the spring. Metal against metal always causes issues.
This is the only thing I don't have. I should prolly craft some. Any thoughts on where to start just getting some rubber that will sit in place well? If I back off the spring completely I can get these installed without even taking the coilover off the car.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:27 AM

The spring does not always have to be constrained. You can run a coilover without having any pre-load on it. You can PRELOAD the springs by compressing them with the perch this will in effect give you stiffer springs (they get stiffer as they get more compressed) initially at the cost of suspension travel.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:29 AM

The spring does not always have to be constrained. You can run a coilover without having any pre-load on it. You can PRELOAD the springs by compressing them with the perch this will in effect give you stiffer springs (they get stiffer as they get more compressed) initially at the cost of suspension travel.
Yup, that's why I believe this noise isn't an indication of improper install or loose parts. I believe it is just that the load on the spring when the car is in the air isn't there. This is giving the spring the ability to create that noise. Some rubber isolators on the top and bottom should be what I need to remove the noise.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:31 AM

This is the only thing I don't have. I should prolly craft some. Any thoughts on where to start just getting some rubber that will sit in place well? If I back off the spring completely I can get these installed without even taking the coilover off the car.
I used the OEM spring isolators. They are not the best fit but with some heat I was able to make them work.

And yes you can install them without taking off your coilovers.

BTW what is your alignment like now since you have been raising and lowering the car?
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:39 AM

Hm. Is that on your 5th or 4th? Also, are your SSs full length adjustable or only height adjustable?
All tein ss on the Maxima are identical. And they are able to adjust the height. So I am confused what you meant exactly.

The only thing is that the tein ss do not have a fully threaded shock body.

You only loosen one collar (lower one) on the shock body and spin the other collar to either raise or lower the car. Once you are done, you spin the lower collar and use it as a locking collar.

Very simple and easy to adjust
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:40 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

without opening the engine if possible see i changed the waterpump and timing chain/tensioners and f/r seals on the 97 and i'm not feeling too sure of myself on this engine starting up again
Well for you to be code free with a full swap, you would need the 6MT ecu for sure. If not, you will get CAN codes. Everything else is just emissions related. (O2 sensors, EVAP, etc.)

For the hybrid swap, there's a few options. But first things first, FIND A '95 ECU. After this, You can splice the IACV from the a33a/PFTB (if that's what you're gonna use) to your 4th gen harness. If you're going to hack the e-TB, you will need an IACV adapter plate from stephen max. Use an IM from an 04 and route the egr guide tube to the port on that IM. Some people report that with the '95 ECU, they don't get an egr code as long as the selinoid is connected.

Honestly, the hybrid swap will be alot cheaper to finish than the full swap. I haven't even finished the part hunt for my swap 100% yet and I'm way over what I would have spent by doing the hybrid.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:42 AM

Hey guys, spoonfeeding time.

What do I need for a full swap in my 4th gen?

I REALLY don't want to do timing on the 3.5 motor.

So we have...

Gas Pedal
MT ECU
Engine Wiring Harness

Apparently a dash harness for my NATs to work?
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:43 AM
Banned

Also, 15mm hubcentric spacers for sale good deal too.
I much I'm looking for a set
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:45 AM
Banned

So we have...

Gas Pedal
MT ECU
Engine Wiring Harness

Come on man .... even I know I know the answer to this lol ... now you go and read and read
l
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:46 AM

This is very true. In some forms of motorsports, the spring is set pretty loose (when the car is off the ground) on purpose to help prevent the inside wheel from lifting mid corner.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:49 AM

So we have...

Gas Pedal
MT ECU
Engine Wiring Harness

Nikka... seriously? As much **** as I've bought from yo punk azz and you don't know! lol
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:52 AM

I used the OEM spring isolators. They are not the best fit but with some heat I was able to make them work.

And yes you can install them without taking off your coilovers.

BTW what is your alignment like now since you have been raising and lowering the car?
you mean the rubber that actually fits around the spring? I was thinking about just some rubber to put between the spring and the perch top/bottom. did you just push it onto the spring? I don't really have any heat to use.

My alignment was done about 2 weeks ago. I've only adjusted the height +-1/4" then. Drives straight and feels good.
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clashez
I much I'm looking for a set
*How much
Old 05-15-2012 | 08:55 AM

Nikka... seriously? As much **** as I've bought from yo punk azz and you don't know! lol
I haven't given a single fck about full swaps up until last night when I sat down next to the motor and I went *sigh*... fck this.

I'm just going off of the top of my head on what's different in the motors and what the engine/ecu needs.

So.

ECU
Engine Harness
Dash Harness
Gas Pedal

If I can make the dash harness connect to my NATS I don't need a column+key/wheel/bag then.

So what's next?

/spoonfeedthenoob.org

Main thing is, if the motor is bad, I can just chunk it outta the car and throw another one in, no big deal.

But w/ the timing swap.... *lesigh* ughhhhh
Old 05-15-2012 | 09:05 AM
Banned

I agree, sounds like spring noise

6k miles of use. Yup, I'm sure it's beca
use they are used
6k, 10k seems to be the magic number here on the org... someone telling you that a part has 6k on it is like that girl u meet that tells you she only slept with 2 guys lol you'll never really know although I'm sure is a stand up guy....
Old 05-15-2012 | 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Clashez
6k, 10k seems to be the magic number here on the org... someone telling you that a part has 6k on it is like that girl u meet that tells you she only slept with 2 guys lol you'll never really know although I'm sure is a stand up guy....
well i got them from Tuner. I doubt he tried to screw me since he is coming down to visit still.
Old 05-15-2012 | 09:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

well i got them from Tuner. I doubt he tried to screw me since he is coming down to visit still.
Those were almost mine.,
Old 05-15-2012 | 09:31 AM

Houston-20120515-00732.jpg?t=1337099418

Name a price for a pedal that covers shipping and handling and my time typing this out and I'll send one out.
Old 05-15-2012 | 09:38 AM

I haven't given a single fck about full swaps up until last night when I sat down next to the motor and I went *sigh*... fck this.

I'm just going off of the top of my head on what's different in the motors and what the engine/ecu needs.

So.

ECU
Engine Harness
Dash Harness
Gas Pedal

If I can make the dash harness connect to my NATS I don't need a column+key/wheel/bag then.

So what's next?

/spoonfeedthenoob.org

Main thing is, if the motor is bad, I can just chunk it outta the car and throw another one in, no big deal.

But w/ the timing swap.... *lesigh* ughhhhh
Yo... at this point I'm about to say **** the swap and **** the car. The guy I ordered the engine harness from only sent me half the ****. There are no grounds, only 3 injector pigtails, 3 coilpack pigtails etc...

When you guys sell engine harnesses doesn't it come with all the **** you need to actually control the engine?
Old 05-15-2012 | 09:44 AM

Yo... at this point I'm about to say **** the swap and **** the car. The guy I ordered the engine harness from only sent me half the ****. There are no grounds, only 3 injector pigtails, 3 coilpack pigtails etc...

When you guys sell engine harnesses doesn't it come with all the **** you need to actually control the engine?
They would come as if they did from the factory.

Complete and no cuts.

IIRC you'd only get 3 injectors and coils.

The other 3 are on a sub harness.

Last edited by aackshun; 05-15-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2012 | 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Those were almost mine.,

well this is awkward
Old 05-15-2012 | 10:07 AM
Banned

damn that fckin sucks a$$. when I bought my 3.5 motor it was said to be complete but when they shipped it, I later found out it was missing some parts so it wasnt complete I know the feeling.

send that shii back and get your money back and buy a legit complete one. I learned when asking for anything complete, go by a list like name off everything thats suppose to come with it so there no surprises. some people definition of complete varies.
Old 05-15-2012 | 10:08 AM

Complete and no cuts.
there are no cuts in it. But the rest of it is connected with those green plugs, he left out all of that and only sent the partial harness. Ask your harness guy if the battery power and ground wires are supposed to come with the engine harness.
Old 05-15-2012 | 10:09 AM

Complete and no cuts.

IIRC you'd only get 3 injectors and coils.

The other 3 are on a sub harness.
I can use those sub harness from the altimaone that I have here. And actually, I should be able to use it from my dek...

I'm going to investigate a little more before I start complaining.
Old 05-15-2012 | 10:15 AM

This is what I got.

This is more of what I was expecting.

This is from the altima harness I pulled from my 3.5. Notice how it has the battery power wire and everything with it. I assumed the maxima one would come like this too. Am I mistaken?
Old 05-15-2012 | 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by J2FRESH
damn that fckin sucks a$$. when I bought my 3.5 motor it was said to be complete but when they shipped it, I later found out it was missing some parts so it wasnt complete I know the feeling.

send that shii back and get your money back and buy a legit complete one. I learned when asking for anything complete, go by a list like name off everything thats suppose to come with it so there no surprises. some people definition of complete varies.
Yea man. It sucks. I don't mind the missing sub harnesses.

Quick Reply: 5th gen Off Topic Thread (Official Ghustle thread v1)