5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

6sp gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 PM

6sp gearbox

Hay guys

I've decided to go through with my manual conversion. I've got a fair few questions but it's gonna help me alot on the way to completing my conversion.

1.) Can a 5sp gearbox be used on a 6th gen?
2.) what's better 5sp or 6sp. Heard goods and bads about both.
3.) when doing the conversion is only 1 engine mount
Have to get modified or replaced is the gearbox mount.
4.)Are the engine mounts the same on the 5.5 gen as the 6th gen both running 6sp gearboxes.
5.) Is there any other model Nissans running this same gearbox as a different source to find parts. I heard the 6sp gearbox is used out of the Nissan skyline GTR.
6.) Is the 350z gearbox the same in any way? Could I use a 350z clutch or flywheel.

There all the questions I have know that I can think off. But would be much appreciated if people could get in and make an effort cause this conversion
Will only happen if I can get enough info.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by kurt1
Hay guys

I've decided to go through with my manual conversion. I've got a fair few questions but it's gonna help me alot on the way to completing my conversion.

4.)Are the engine mounts the same on the 5.5 gen as the 6th gen both running 6sp gearboxes.
5.) Is there any other model Nissans running this same gearbox as a different source to find parts. I heard the 6sp gearbox is used out of the Nissan skyline GTR.
6.) Is the 350z gearbox the same in any way? Could I use a 350z clutch or flywheel.

There all the questions I have know that I can think off. But would be much appreciated if people could get in and make an effort cause this conversion
Answers (to the best of my knowledge):

1) I don't know of anyone that has used a 5-Speed on a 6th gen, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. The Altima uses similar mounting, so it's probably a plausible option.
2) The 6 speed will get slightly better fuel economy, but if you look at the ratios there's not much in it. The 6 speed is probably better overall, but not by a whole lot in my opinion. Mostly, I think it's personal preference when it comes to the 5 speed vs 6 speed discussion. My preference is 6 speed. I've had a 97 SE-L 5-Speed, and now an 02 6-Speed.
3) The auto mount is different than the manual mount, but I don't believe you have to "modify" anything in the form of cutting or welding. It should just bolt up to the same mount spot on the frame rail. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in and correct me. However, I've never done an auto to manual swap that required anything besides just making sure you've got the right mount for the transmission.
4) The mounts are different between the 5.5 and the 6th. The 6th, if I'm not mistaken, shares mounts with the V6 Altima, whereas the 5.5 has a mount all it's own.
5) The gearbox in the GT-R is not even close. The only similarity would be if the Maxima transmission has the factory equipped Limited Slip. The LSD unit used in the Maxima is the same as the unit that is used on the front transaxle on the GT-R R34. In the case of the 6th gen, you should be able to use the Altima gearbox since the mounts are the same.
6) Not even remotely close. The 350Z is rear wheel drive and longitudinally mounted, Maxima is front wheel drive and transversely mounted.

Try to stay as close as you can to using the original parts intended for the 6th gen 6-Speed, and it will probably end up being much easier for you. If you start trying to mix and match parts too much you may end up running into speed bumps and possibly even reliability issues.

-Nathan
Old 05-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Toolie

5 speed is better at the track, less shifting. I'm not sure if you will find drive shafts to fit a 5 speed in a 6th gen though.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
5 speed is better at the track, less shifting.
Eh??????
Old 05-19-2012, 11:11 PM

Hay guys

i not sure the bolts pattern look identical if not you may have to change the bellhousing cant say but i can check it out for you tomorrow i have a 3.0 tran and 3.5 5th gen automatic with 70mile and 30 mile 6thgen manual trans laying around now for which trans is better it depend i guess on what your mods plan are but i will say the 5spd for a minor setup. it has good power that sticks at high rpm and the 6thgen 6spd have good power for high end torque but low end power in other words both trans does the opposite of each other at diff gear ratio. the only mount you have to change is the automatic mount with the sensor to a manual mount not a big issue just dont connect it. it serve no purpose, im in the middle of a swap myself you can u a 350z clutch and flywheel all been done here on the org it make little difference i heard

Last edited by Shermanh700; 05-20-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 PM

I'm gonna go the 6sp manual. But I was told I will only need to replace the gearbox mount witch sits ontop of the gearbox. Or do I have to replace all mounts? I'm confused.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Eh??????
I was kinda surprised to see that too..., care to explain knight?

o and to the guy who mentioned the auto mounts being able to bolt up to the 6 speed on a 5.5 gen, that's right. That's the setup I'm running for my front and rear.

Last edited by OnOiShNo0dl3Z; 05-20-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Banned

Search for the Ghustle thread all your questions are answered there
Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 AM

I'm gonna go the 6sp manual. But I was told I will only need to replace the gearbox mount witch sits ontop of the gearbox. Or do I have to replace all mounts? I'm confused.
No, the other mounts are the exact same between auto and manual. The only mount that is different at all is the transmission mount that sits on top of the gearbox. In a 6th Gen it needs to be changed if I'm not mistaken.

-Nathan
Old 05-20-2012, 12:04 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Are you swapping into a 5th gen or 6th gen? If it's a 6th gen, you're getting yourself into a big headache.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
Are you swapping into a 5th gen or 6th gen? If it's a 6th gen, you're getting yourself into a big headache.
Sounds like it. If I only have to modify one mount that's sounds not
To bad.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:10 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Sounds like it. If I only have to modify one mount that's sounds not
To bad.
Thats not the only thing you have to modify. It's been done on here by a member that goes by nizmo101. He works at a shop that does a ton of custom work and it wasn't easy for them. Try to contact him to see all it requires. He's a mod on my6thgen.org too.