5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Should I buy a clutch kit and have a shop install it? Or just have them order parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Should I buy a clutch kit and have a shop install it? Or just have them order parts?

2002 Maxima with 140k on my original clutch, pretty sure its on its last legs. I don't push it hard but its got a pretty soft response and a slight raspy noise as it winds up through the rpms (2k-3k).

My question is would it be smart to pick up a clutch kit now and once it goes (or performance degrades to the point its awful to drive) and try and get a shop to install it for me. I figured I could save a bit by getting the parts myself and if they charge by book rate should eliminate some of the surprise of the bill.

The only other concern is my car burns alot of oil. 2-2.5 quarts of mobil 1 5-30 per every 3k miles. Usually takes me just over a month to do that kind of distance. Would you bother to put a new clutch on a car using that much oil?

I've done a decent amount of maintenance work to it lately so the rest of the car runs pretty smooth:
- new rotors, and pads all around (plus newer rear caliper)
- new valve covers
- new lower oil pan
- suspension is fairly new

I'd love to do the clutch myself and use it as an excuse to pick up a bunch of air tools but I'm afraid it might be a bit out of my skill level.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Buying it on your own does save some money. Your burning issue is not a big deal. The bigger factor is how long you plan on keeping the car. If you plan o. Keeping it long enough to invest that much money then why not. Keep in mind, however, that most shops will not warranty any part supplied by you. So if they install it and something is wrong, they may not uninstall and check it out for free.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Do it yourself; I'm sure most here will agree.

If you have any kind of desire to do such work then invest in the tools and the proper repair manual and get it on. Clutch work is must like most other mechanical jobs, that is, straight-forward if you just follow the proper steps.

Buying a kit yourself will ensure you get the parts you want at the right price. Doing it yourself will save big bucks - you could easily be back on the road for $500 and that includes: air tools, clutch kit, flywheel (resurface or new replacement) and beer for a friend/family member who may provide some technical encouragement/assistance.

My only suggestion is to plan ahead, buy all the parts (quality parts and/or OEM) ahead of time and read up a bit BEFORE you tackle the job. Its not hard, just cumbersome.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM

Exedy OEM kit, awesome kit, can't go wrong for stock to modded power.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Exedy OEM kit, awesome kit, can't go wrong for stock to modded power.
Agreed, just buy an OEM max release bearing instead of using the one supplied with the kit.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:42 PM

In the middle of Exedy OEM kit install myself. My garage looks like my car puked all over the place. That being said, it's not that easy of a DIY job on the floor. The trans is pretty heavy for a manual and the passenger side axle needs to be unbolted from the block to pull it out (also plan on the cost of an alignment afterwards unless you have a way of pulling the axles without dropping the passenger side control arm). Two man job at a minimum unless you have an engine crane or something to hold the trans and slowly/safely lower it when you pull it. Not saying you shouldnt do it but unless you turn wrenches for a living, dont expect it to be an easy job.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by TDMIIG
In the middle of Exedy OEM kit install myself. My garage looks like my car puked all over the place. That being said, it's not that easy of a DIY job on the floor. The trans is pretty heavy for a manual and the passenger side axle needs to be unbolted from the block to pull it out (also plan on the cost of an alignment afterwards unless you have a way of pulling the axles without dropping the passenger side control arm). Two man job at a minimum unless you have an engine crane or something to hold the trans and slowly/safely lower it when you pull it. Not saying you shouldnt do it but unless you turn wrenches for a living, dont expect it to be an easy job.

Driver's side axles comes out in less than 5 mins. It takes a little longer if you don't know how to turn the wheel the right way and compress the axle.

Pass side is almost as easy except you need to remove the 3 bolts to the mount. Which, isn't hard with a swivel socket. If it's rusted in there then you'll need to pry it from the mounts, but a hammer with a screwdriver/chisel/whatever and some work, it will come out.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 06-12-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

it's a good thing to do it yourself, it will bring up your confidence for the complicated job done
you don't really need air tools, it will just take a bit longer to get around things, but regular tools will get the job done

as far as you concern with the new clutch - if it goes bad on the road, you might have a trouble replacing it after that as car will be non-driveable/partially driveable

If you got time/spare money - try to find where the leak comes from
If you add oil - engine will still last, but no one knows how long - even if you decide to get another engine - you will still need a clutch
If you decide to part it out once the engine goes - you will get some money pack too
Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the replies

I was looking at the exedy OEM kit, I've seen it around 200 which isn't bad, I'll look into the OEM bearing as well.

The two things that worry me most about doing it yourself would be axles and determining the condition on the flywheel. I'll have to do some research to figure out how hard those will be for me.

I have the FSM for the car and have used it for my other jobs, def makes it easier.

I'd prob look into renting a tramission jack (like 50 bucks a day) or picking up a harborfreight one to use then sell it after.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 AM

Definitely cut out the middle man. Shops tend to order a clutch for $250 and charge $300ish then still charge for the labour. My advice is price the clutch and labour from your mechanic then ask him how much is labour. With that you can shop around for a clutch and add the price to your total to see which way will save you money. An OE Exedy clutch should be in the $240-300 depending on where you go so its just a matter of getting a good installation quote.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Did you ever make a decision on which route to go?

I think replacing slave cylinder, bearings/other clutch pieces, stainless steel lines*, all combined with an Exedy Stage 1 and Fidanza flywheel would make my car more fun to drive.

*My '05 seems to have issues with heat-soak. No matter how long I drove my '02, the clutch pedal never changed in feeling.

The 6th gen, however, has some weird problem where driving a mere 20 miles in 100-degree-weather yields a clutch that requires an extra 20% more torque to be able to push it to the floor at a stop. As in, if regular pushing yields a 100% clutch disengagement at 30 ft*lbs of torque, driving in hot weather yields 90% clutch disengagement at 30 ft*lbs and 100% clutch engagement at 36 ft*lbs. This is very irritating when muscle memory causes your leg to automatically push at 30 ft*lbs, so you have to consciously check and see if your foot is indeed at the floor, and if it isn't, push the rest of the way.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Around here, the vast majority of shops won't install parts you purchase. There was one time I had a slow tire leak checked out at a shop, and I happened to have a factory Nissan oil filter with me. I inquired about an oil change while I was there and mentioned I had the factory filter, and the manager told me he couldn't use it because it wasn't something they ordered, or used, blah blah and they would have to use one of their filters and that they don't install parts brought in by customers.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Around here, the vast majority of shops won't install parts you purchase. There was one time I had a slow tire leak checked out at a shop, and I happened to have a factory Nissan oil filter with me. I inquired about an oil change while I was there and mentioned I had the factory filter, and the manager told me he couldn't use it because it wasn't something they ordered, or used, blah blah and they would have to use one of their filters and that they don't install parts brought in by customers.

i hate when they say that...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
i hate when they say that...
Yeah it's a bunch of b.s... They say it's a liability thing, and they can't guarantee the work, and so on.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 PM

I don't know about major repair, but around here we have $9 for oil change at the dealership complete with oil and filter. At first the front desk people won't let me bring my own oil but when asked with the supervisor, they let me use my oil but still charge for $9. I ussually do my own work, but $9 for oil change and 30 minutes wait, I can't beat that.