5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Would you add an oil cooler if..

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 AM

Would you add an oil cooler if..

Whats up org dudes...So I have a tranny pan gasket leak and its causing some slippage between 1-2 and 2-3. Its been like that for quite a while (2-3 months) and im now finally getting around to dropping the pan, cleaning the magnets, replacing the screen and switching to Amsoil from whatever the heck was in there before. I was toying around with the idea or adding a shift kit, but decided it wouldnt be that practical because I no longer long for short lived thrill of raping civics. The question is, though I do put the pedal to metal fairly often, should I add an oil cooler to the mix? I know, or have read rather, that Amsoil has a significant effect to the temp of the fluid by itself and although the oil cooler is pretty cheap, would it be considered a necessity for my relatively reserved driving habits or rather a safeguard? This is my second 4at btw, had it on for 6+ months and the fluid is nice and red, but I'll find out about the shavings when i drop the pan... Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 AM

Synthetic fluid and cooler will def help. You're killing your trans. Either improve it to handle the abuse or get a stickshift.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Banned

The oil cooler is a great mod and will extend the life of your transmission.. especially if you run her hard from time to time ... me every Thursday, Friday and Saturday lol shift kit is also a great mod actually one of my favorites to this date... hopefully you didn't cause any damage to the transmission and should have address the issue asap . With the whole leakage thing
Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I've greatly enjoyed my HD2 kit. But, maybe you can go witht he introductory kit so shift from 1-2 is not so "sporty." The kit, if nothing else, reduces slippage and saves the tranny, especially given these autos slip horribly.
So, I suggest you get a Transgo kit and take it to be installed. Worse case there is a ton of debri in the pan and you shouldn't install the kit. Best case, little/no debri, install the kit and change the fluid, you're tranny life has
Just been extended.

IMO, with what you describe a cooler is pointless. However, if you do decide to have one installed, I highly suggest also installing a thermostat if you live in an area with winter temps reaching into freezing. This prevents over cooling in cold temps.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Ok, so I took a look at the non HD2 kit and it looks like something That I wouldnt mind doing myself. Question is, again, is the cooler a necessity with this mod, or a safeguard? As for the thermostat, I live in south florida, so frigid temperatures are something that I wont fear.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Cooler is not a necessity given the driving you describe.

It seems I drive more aggressively than you and tend to have a full car load of people/ family often ( increased strain on tranny). I see little to no need for one.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

Cooler is not necessary. I don't have one.

One point that I can make is that a VB mod should never be without PUR torque mounts though.

Are you sure the slipping is due to the leak? I've had some situations where I've been really low on fluid and didn't have any slippage. I'd say it would have to be a pretty massive leak to cause slippage in and of itself.

You might have a different problem altogether.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Great point. I'm convinced most the "slipping" I felt I had was bad mounts. Even after my HD2 install I had issues that were 99% resolved after replacing my front engine mount, tranny mount, an installing the passenger Wrayth (solid) mount.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

My slipping was a bad OEM VB.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:51 AM

Well im not sure if the slippage is due to the leak, but I am almost 100% sure it is. This is my second tranny and when I first got it, it was flawless. When I top it up with fluid is works well for a bit, then once it seeps out the slipping is more noticeable. I read a post on here from a 4th gen that replaced his tranny pan gasket and it solved the problem. I really hope this is the situation because I really cant afford a new tranny right now. As for PUR mounts, I put on ES torque mounts about 6 months ago (awesome btw) so ill probably just poly the pass side and tranny mount unless someone has a link to some they recommend on hand. As for a massive leak, I think so. The stupid, stupid cork gasket, is a piece of crap. Why would someone do this? This is a car transmission for gods sake, not a bottle of wine...

Old 07-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Ohhhh, that gasket does not look like it was installed properly.
I've always had concerns about cork, but the guy who installed my HD2 said it was better than the paper one that came in the kit. He told me if cork fails in these applications it's due to improper install and said if it did leak he would replace it. I check mine every time I'm under my car. My cork gasket doesn't look like that. Mine is dry (no oil) and aligned with the outline of the pan.

Someone over tightened your pan. Looks like 50-75% of the gasket is hanging over the edge of the pan.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

Bad gasket install. Also, I don't remember the OEM unit being cork.

I got mine through Courtesy.

You get puddles on the ground after sitting for some time, say a day or 2, overnight?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 AM

hmmm.. i guess the guy that put in the tranny probably didnt know the deal.. Well, i just bought a rubber duralast gasket from the zone... im sure that should do the job, no?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Even rubber can get pressed out similar to what is shown in those images of not installed properly.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All those bolts should be just barely snug. If you do any muscle flexing, they are on too tight. Not sure what the torque spec is but I'm fairly sure it is very low.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM
RR5

Check the FSM for the torque specs for those bolts. I've got a valve body with the HD2 kit already installed, but I didn't think it helped with my problem.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:45 AM

first off man its not an oil cooler your thinking of because you dont put oil in a trans its a called a trans cooler lmao and you dont want to clean your magnets or even change your fluid if its slipping i would just drain your fluid so you can reuse it and put a new seal on, your clutch pack with your paper disks are probly pretty tosted if you remove the little peices of metal in your fluid you clutches are going to have less to grab with, so eather save your fluid or rebuild your trans
Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by Story
first off man its not an oil cooler your thinking of because you dont put oil in a trans its a called a trans cooler lmao and you dont want to clean your magnets or even change your fluid if its slipping i would just drain your fluid so you can reuse it and put a new seal on, your clutch pack with your paper disks are probly pretty tosted if you remove the little peices of metal in your fluid you clutches are going to have less to grab with, so eather save your fluid or rebuild your trans
I tried to find good feedback in this post, but there isn't a lot.

Fact is that a slipping tranny, which these autos are known for, does not equal a bad tranny or used up clutches. Yes, common sense dictates if there is a lot of debri and the fluid looks burnt, there is further damage and the tranny should be replaced.

However, there is no information to support the tranny is bad. There is no harm in changing the fluid if everything looks good. There is no harm at all in cleaning the magnets. If slipping continues after the work and transgo, then being
Able to re-inspect the recently cleaned magnests could be helpful. He is going to have to drop the pan anyway to replace that gasket. In addition to that, the OP indicates the slipping as associated with the leaking.

Also, there is really no difference between an oil and tranny cooler. What we are discussing isn't something that directly cools the tranny, it cools the tranny oil - notice that word. Which yes, helps cool the transmission. It is samantics really hard hardly worth a lmao.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 PM

Ok so theres some good info here... most notably from Story
So this might seem like something id love to do... I already have the gasket and im sure the fluid is fine, its not burnt still bright red, just some has leaked out. If i were to do this, i assume it just involves draining the fluid which if i can remember correctly is a little over 3 qts, dropping pan, cleaning magnets, replacing screen, bolting it back up and adding the 3 qts back that I drained. Im also assuming that ill need to add a little more ATF to make up for the few ounces that might seep out after the pan is removed.. correct? Also, yea i know its not an oil cooler, just a slip of the tongue, or fingers rather... Alsom I found a shop to do the install for the shift kit, they want 385 plus tax and theyre extremely reliable and have done 6+ maxima in the last 2 years. Im just thinking replacing the gasket may be the best option right now so that I dont cause any more unnecessary damage to the tranny
Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 PM

The main thing is btw is Id rather reuse the same fluid just to change the gasket instead of switching to amsoil now just to possibly have a shift kit installed later and re-drain my Amsoil which ill be picking up in orlando because there arent too many dealers here down south.Sorry for the run on sentence
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM

bump