5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

leatherseats.com

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 02:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

leatherseats.com

im thinking of buying a 2K2 without leather and ordering the leather seats from leatherseats.com, how much can i expect to pay a body shop for an install, because im not planning on installing them myself. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:48 AM
Very sound, Mike

I'd like to know this as well. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:25 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't have a 5th gen, but I did just install leather seats in my 4th gen from www.leatherseats.com. It took me about 8 hours to remove the old cloth and install the new leather. I did the fronts on the first day in 6 hours and the rear on the 2nd day in 2 hours. It took me nearly 5 hours to get the door inserts installed because of the extra measuring and test fitting involved. It's hell on your hands to install the seats because you have to cut the old rings off (hundreds of them) and then you have to tug and pull the leather covers into place. WWW.leatherseats.com says it should take an experienced shop 4 hours to do the seats and doors. That cracks me up and I'm sure Emax would agree with me. The first seat (passenger) took me the longest time (3 hours) because I had to understand what I was doing. It also takes about 1 hour to cover the rear access panels on the front seats and install the provided material for map pockets (a big plus since my car didn't come with them). Here's the breakdown:

Front seats 5 hours
Front seat rear covers and map pocket 1 hour
Rear seats 2 hours
Door inserts 5 hours
Remove/reinstall the seats 1 hour

Total: 14 hours

I figure I could shave 1 hour off the front seats and 2 hours off the inserts. With me working at a quick and painful pace, I'm still looking at 11 hours. What am I hinting at? Install the leather yourself. There are a handful of us that have done it that can do Q&A. I've posted instructions on how to do the inserts. I realy don't think a shop can do a good job installing these seats and inserts in any less than 8-9 hours (at best). The shop may also "stick it to you" because you aren't buying the seats from them. I'd figure you're looking at $320-400 to install the seats if the shop rate is around $40. After everything is added up, you might as well bought factory leather for $1500 which gives you some extra goodies like auto climate control. Or you could buy the $35 install kit and do it yourself and get some satisfaction by performing such a task and save about $400. My friends jaws drop when they see my interior and find out I did it. Here's a pic of my black/graphite interior:

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...ctures0002.jpg

Things you'll need to do it yourself:
Tin snips
Flathead screw driver
Spoons (refer to my door insert post)
Socket and metric socket set
Install kit (hog ring pliers, hog rings, glue)
Masking and packing tape
Patience
Band Aids

Dave
Old 01-07-2002, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
I don't have a 5th gen, but I did just install leather seats in my 4th gen from www.leatherseats.com. It took me about 8 hours to remove the old cloth and install the new leather. I did the fronts on the first day in 6 hours and the rear on the 2nd day in 2 hours. It took me nearly 5 hours to get the door inserts installed because of the extra measuring and test fitting involved. It's hell on your hands to install the seats because you have to cut the old rings off (hundreds of them) and then you have to tug and pull the leather covers into place. WWW.leatherseats.com says it should take an experienced shop 4 hours to do the seats and doors. That cracks me up and I'm sure Emax would agree with me. The first seat (passenger) took me the longest time (3 hours) because I had to understand what I was doing. It also takes about 1 hour to cover the rear access panels on the front seats and install the provided material for map pockets (a big plus since my car didn't come with them). Here's the breakdown:

Front seats 5 hours
Front seat rear covers and map pocket 1 hour
Rear seats 2 hours
Door inserts 5 hours
Remove/reinstall the seats 1 hour

Total: 14 hours

I figure I could shave 1 hour off the front seats and 2 hours off the inserts. With me working at a quick and painful pace, I'm still looking at 11 hours. What am I hinting at? Install the leather yourself. There are a handful of us that have done it that can do Q&A. I've posted instructions on how to do the inserts. I realy don't think a shop can do a good job installing these seats and inserts in any less than 8-9 hours (at best). The shop may also "stick it to you" because you aren't buying the seats from them. I'd figure you're looking at $320-400 to install the seats if the shop rate is around $40. After everything is added up, you might as well bought factory leather for $1500 which gives you some extra goodies like auto climate control. Or you could buy the $35 install kit and do it yourself and get some satisfaction by performing such a task and save about $400. My friends jaws drop when they see my interior and find out I did it. Here's a pic of my black/graphite interior:

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...ctures0002.jpg

Things you'll need to do it yourself:
Tin snips
Flathead screw driver
Spoons (refer to my door insert post)
Socket and metric socket set
Install kit (hog ring pliers, hog rings, glue)
Masking and packing tape
Patience
Band Aids

Dave
Yep, I have been trying to figure out how it would be humanly possible for a shop to do it in 4 hours. Until you said this, I thought I was a retard{AKA slow} because it took me about 10-12 hours to install "just" the seats. The 5th gen install is a little more diffucult then the 4th gen too, the rear seats have 2 more pieces{4 pieces all together}.

My hands still hurt a little , I think nissan put a couple razor blades inside the cloth seats .

Ohh yeah, installing leather does not take a geneuis to do, it is just painfull and very time consuming.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:39 PM

A friend of mine just had some aftermarket leather put in his 4Runner. A local shop here charged him $300 for installation. He called several places, they all quoted about the same amount.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:34 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Originally posted by emax95

Yep, I have been trying to figure out how it would be humanly possible for a shop to do it in 4 hours. Until you said this, I thought I was a retard{AKA slow} because it took me about 10-12 hours to install "just" the seats. The 5th gen install is a little more diffucult then the 4th gen too, the rear seats have 2 more pieces{4 pieces all together}.

My hands still hurt a little , I think nissan put a couple razor blades inside the cloth seats .

Ohh yeah, installing leather does not take a geneuis to do, it is just painfull and very time consuming.
Dave & Ethan:

I think those upholstery places put a couple guys on it simultaneously so that they get it done quicker (5-7 hrs.) Also, those guys do it for living. I'm sure they can do it with their eyes closed. I would just be scared to do it because I KNOW I would screw it up (I lack the main ingredient, patience). Anyway, props to you guys. Your pioneering atitude will no doubt give others the confidence to do it.

BTW, your seats look awesome.

Peace....
Old 01-08-2002, 01:50 AM

I got my custom leathers seats for $630 shipped from http://www.autoaccessoriesrusfl.com/ ....no pics right now....but it looks good