5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mad handles

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:04 PM

Mad handles

That was me with the handles on the court and in the car!

Coming home from hoops I followed my friend in his Subaru Impreza Outback. I can get home on local streets but he has to use the highway and go in a different direction. As he turned to go on the highway, I figured I may as well go on the highway also. Won't get many more chances to go fast with all the snow coming. (And easy victories are still victories . I like the odds of 227 hp vs 165 hp.)

The on-ramp was fairly long and wide and had an entrance turn, a straight, then another, sharper turn just before the merge onto the highway. He was probably 8-10 car lengths on me at the entrance turn. Near the end of the straight I had gained probably about 2/3 that distance back and was catching him quickly near the top of 3rd gear. For the last turn, he moved from the right lane into the left lane to straighten out the corner but had to turn sharply near the apex. Up to this point, the only four wheel drifts I had seen were in videos. Tonight, I saw one close up. The Max felt really solid even though I was going faster than the Soobie. I would have paid to have seen his face has he slid around the corner .

Sorry for the long post. Not too big a deal outhandling a mini SUV but fun nonetheless.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:06 PM
Telus.net

Old 01-07-2002, 10:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Mad handles

Hope he didn't soil his drawers...
Old 01-07-2002, 11:13 PM
alias

that was me in the sooby. it was a looong ramp with a slight constant bend in it. i was flooring it (since my car has no chance staying with big john unless he messes up a shift as he frequently does ).

i wasn't too familiar with this ramp and it has a slight downhill then a decreasing radius right at the end where it begins to merge with the highway.

i was in the right most lane and was going in too hot and traversed 3 lanes to straighten out the bend all the while saying 'hooolleee crrrapp' out loud. didn't even know i slid until big john told me.

big john got all excited. i was still flooring it and weaved through traffic and quickly got into the left lane. big john was also flooring it in the right and had to squeeze in the closing gap between me and a car in the middle lane.

short but fun!!

our cars are mismatched but our undies are a perfect pair... slightly brown