5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RPM surging when lightly touching gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 AM

I know this is an old thread, but wtf guys, I'm a newbie hear, but not a complete newbie when it comes to mechanics. This guys question was very legitimate and some of you guys were complete ******** to him for absolutly no reason. Especially you maxed-out-99! If this were mx-6.com the admins would ban you right away, no questions asked! I can only hope that I get treated better as a newbie than this Guy did!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by 6cyl-97maxima
I know this is an old thread, but wtf guys, I'm a newbie hear, but not a complete newbie when it comes to mechanics. This guys question was very legitimate and some of you guys were complete ******** to him for absolutly no reason. Especially you maxed-out-99! If this were mx-6.com the admins would ban you right away, no questions asked! I can only hope that I get treated better as a newbie than this Guy did!
While you just bumped a 9 year old thread And I got an email notification.. I said screw it and went ahead to read it all... I wonder why the hell we do have such idiots on here and then those who of course follow. He asked a legitimate question and apparently reading comprehension is a weakness for some..so if its something that is beyond ones intelligence, just make fun of it instead.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, ey Paul Nadolski?

Ben, how is that throttle response doing? Is it still surging?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 AM

No more surging but 2 new problems. Sometimes it will start and immediately die. Giving it gas while starting will make it run and then idle in its own. Sometimes after sitting for a day and starting it, it stumbles almost like a misfire. I am thinking it is a IACV issue.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gapboi210
No more surging but 2 new problems. Sometimes it will start and immediately die. Giving it gas while starting will make it run and then idle in its own. Sometimes after sitting for a day and starting it, it stumbles almost like a misfire. I am thinking it is a IACV issue.
I have the same issue only when it gets cold like below 40.

Previously I had a idle surge from cold start to operating temp it did not matter RPM will spike/jump 1500k-2000k at any time I was idle/neutral (5 Speed). I had previously installed a PFTB w/ adapter plate but I did NOT use a gasket. I also removed the IM and reused the OEM gasket. I Did not think it could be a vacuum leak at that time, so I unplugged the MAF, TPS, and IACV one at a time and than all together at once. The problem remained the same with little to no change in idle. Thought it could be just a idle relearn but not sure if 4th gens even have that with all the misinformation I got from searching but I did try it anyway. NO LUCK.

So I came to the conclusion after searching around that I had a vacuum leak due to re-using IM gasket & non use of a gasket for PFTB and adapter plate or my IACV is shot. So I re-installed both the IM and PFTB/adapter plate with ultra black rtv gasket maker, and converted my stock air box to a short ram while I was at it. The idle surge 1500-2000k instantly went away and idle is somewhat stable now but it is low like around 550-650 (consistently). So that is somewhat good cause now I don't have to sit at a stop light and have my car rev over and over again which was annoying and a pain, especially effecting my MPG haha

Now I have Cold start issues with the temp below 40 car will crank & start right up but would die instantly, unless I give it gas and feather/lightly keep throttle up for a few seconds. Once I do that it idles around 900-1000 until operating temp or if I drive and come to a stop the idle would drop to 550-650 and will stay that way consistently for the rest of the day/driving time until another cold start.

I also notice now I have a whistling sound, my ear points to the IACV hose and intake hoses. When I bend the hose or twist them the whistle gets louder or sometimes gets quieter or even disappears. I also notice from inside the car I hear this whistle and when I turn the steering wheel a litttle the whistle will go away. I know it has to do with my short ram intake I installed and possibly the IACV.

So I have a spare IACV I plan to open, clean and install along with new hoses, and clamps for my cold air intake lines, brake booster line, IACV line and misc vacuum lines. As well as clean MAF and TB.

P.S. I do have a code P0505 which is IACV so I'm hoping that is the problem.

Last edited by vq4thgen4life; 01-15-2014 at 09:54 PM.