5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cruise Control Not Working, No Cruise or Set Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Cruise Control Not Working, No Cruise or Set Light

I searched and found thread after thread of a flashing set light.

I hit the on off switch, nothing lights up. I try to SET anyways to make sure it is not a bad bulb. Nothing....

I checked the all fuses since there is not one labled specifically for the cruise.

I tried swapping out the steering wheel controls and no difference. Is my last resort to swap out the cruise control module behind the stereo?

Last edited by gapboi210; 12-03-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 PM

There are 5 fuses used by the cruise control, 3 shared with other parts of the car and 2 that are strictly for cruise control. The shared fuses are the brake light fuse, the horn fuse and the park/neutral starter relay. The 2 unique fuses are # 10 (top row, 2nd from right) and # 30 (bottom row, 2nd from right).

The FSM says that when the CRUISE light won't come on, it could be a power problem with the control unit, either fuses or the ground connection is lost. It could also be the switch on the steering wheel, but you say you have changed that.

And I suppose it could also the the control module under the radio.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Check your brake pedal. It got 2 switches (one for stop lights and another for the Cruise Control) and a pair of rubber pieces that push the switches. In our old cars (yes, I know... Old but powerful. LOL!) that rubber pieces just rip off and the switch it's not longer pressed making your Cruise Control not working. Just put anything that push the switch in it's original position and you'll get working your CC again.

A pic of the switches.

Name:  BrakeandCCswitch.png
Views: 14416
Size:  1.08 MB
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM

Ok I checked all the fuses and they were good.

The brake pedal switch I don't think applies to me. I checked to be sure and it looks okay. If it were the brake switch I would be able to get it to power on but not set. I guess I need to replace the module now.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM

If the rubber bumper piece has fallen out, the CRUISE light in the dash will still light up, so this is not the main concern for the op.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 PM

Ok I replaced the module and still no cruise control. Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM

If the car has a manual transmission (which I don't think Infiniti's do), there is a switch on the clutch pedal for the cruise control. Also, FWIW, on the brake pedal, the cruise control switch is the one closer to the door.

I would suggest you check the switches on the brake and clutch pedals to make sure that they actually work. Unplug the wire harness and do a continuity test on them. If the switch
You need to check some voltages on the wires going into the cruise control module. To start with, have you checked the light bulb the CRUISE indicator to verify it is good. Light on versus light off makes for different diagnosis.

To do this, the wire harness will need to be plugged in. To get to the control unit, you need to take the radio out (I bet you know that!). Then to be able to measure voltages, you will need to use a pin and slide it into the connector opening with the wire you want to check. And a voltmeter is needed, a test light won't do.

Let me know about the switch continuity test and the CRUISE light bulb in the dash. If those are good, then we'll talk about measuring voltages.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM

I try and set cruise control just to make sure it is working but the bulbs don't.

Brake switch should not be an issue here. I am not getting a cruise light nor a set light.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
I try and set cruise control just to make sure it is working but the bulbs don't.

Brake switch should not be an issue here. I am not getting a cruise light nor a set light.
I accept that your cruise control does not work, because you probably would not have started this thread if it was working.

But I want to know if the light bulb for the CRUISE indicator is good. Have you removed it and checked it?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 PM

I guess I can pull the cluster and check it again. What would the cruise bulb check solve?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 AM

If the cruise light does not light up, it one set of problems.
If the cruse light lights up but the cruise won't engage, it's another set of problems.
If the cruise light blinks, that's a 3rd set of problems.

If you don't want to pull the instrument cluster out, we can monitor a few additional wires on the cruise control module to see if it is trying to turn the light on.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM

If i have already tried the steering wheel switch, module, and fuses. I am starting to think clock spring...
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 AM

If the parts you put in are truly good parts, the spiral cable is a good possibility

If you want to check some wires on the cruise control module, we can see what is going on before you buy a part that may not be the problem. Some of these checks are on wires that go through the spiral cable. You will need a voltmeter and a pin to slide into the connector next to the wire. I have what are called Ball Clips to hook on to the pin and then to my voltmeter test lead.

For these checks, the ignition switch has to be on but the engine does not have to be running. Check that you horn will beep as the ground circuit in the steering column used by the horn is also used by the cruise control on/off buttons.

With the cruise control module bolted in the car, the wires in the connector are numbered as follows:
top row - pin 1 is on the right, towards the glove box. It is blue/red stripe. Pin 11 is the last one on the left.
Bottom row - pin 12 is on the right end. It is green/orange stripe. P 24 is the last wire on the left.

With the ignition switch ON,
pin 5 (green wire) should be 12 volts
pin 8 (green/black stripe wire) should be zero volts when the transmission shift lever is in PARK or NEUTRAL. Move the shift lever to any other position and pin 8 should be 12 volts. Step on the brake pedal and pin 8 should go to zero volts.

pin 9 (pink wire) goes to zero volts When you press the ON button on the steering wheel controls, while you have the button held down.

Pin 15 (yellow wire) goes to zero volts to light the CRUISE indicator.

Pin 23 (red/green stripe wire) should be zero volts. Step on the brake pedal and it should go to 12 volts.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Ok I got it working. I had 2 bad burned bulbs (Cruise & Set) Replaced them and still no working cruise, but did have a Cruise light now. Followed wiring diagrams and tested for voltage and response from steering wheel controls to module etc. Swapped out the cruise pump and it is working now.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the help!