5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman 3" Catback Exhaust (New resonated version) - Order here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Cattman 3" Catback Exhaust (New resonated version) - Order here!

UPDATE 3/14/13: Extra exhausts are still available for purchase. Call Brian up @ 520.575.6195 and let him know you saw it on maxima.org for the forum price.

I'm starting this thread to gain more of a interest for the new Cattman 3" exhaust. I spoke to Brian and he explained to me that there just wasn't enough interest yet to get the ball rolling. After we have a total of 12 people, the downtime should be around 5 weeks for the exhausts to get produced and shipped out.

As of now, we have a total of 5 people including myself. This means all we need is 7 more to get started!!

Now for the interesting news. These exhausts will have the resonator modeled after what Cmax03 has done. Basically these exhausts will be produced with a 5-6" resonator.

PRICING:

Cattman 3” Catback Exhaust for 00-03 Maxima and 00-04 I30/I35 (7 more orders needed to begin production) - $800 give or take because of the upgrade on the resonator

Shipping will be no more than $80 depending how far you are from Arizona.

After the minimum of 12 orders are met, a 30% deposit will be taken with the balance due when they're finished.

NOTE:

For the current members interested in the new resonator, they will be able to be ordered as long as the 12 minimum orders for the full catback systems are met.

Contact Information to get in this group deal:

Brian C Catts, Cattman Performance
Tucson, Arizona
520.575.6195 for ?s and 800.759.9920 to order
bcatts@cattman.com
www.cattman.com

Last edited by da night ryder; 03-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Damn pricey cat back but it'll be uber nice And the only 3" complete Cat back on the market... I've been reading cmax's exhaust ventures lol He's.done lots of test fits and research So it'll be good!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 AM

DO WANT!!

I really hope these (and the headers and Y-pipe) are still available come tax time. School and Christmas really have me tapped until then.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
DO WANT!!

I really hope these (and the headers and Y-pipe) are still available come tax time. School and Christmas really have me tapped until then.

I second this guy if everything goes well i would love to order this next year.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 AM

Cattman doesn't take the money now. All that is done is now is placing the orders. Once the minimum of 12 orders are met, a 30% deposit is taking. You're basically looking around a $240 deposit taken probably in the earlier part of January. Then it will be followed by the remaining balance taken around mid to the end of February. So that basically falls right into tax season. Place orders now. The longer it takes for the orders to be placed, the longer the whole process will take.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by da night ryder
NOTE:

For the current members interested in the new resonator, they will be able to be ordered as long as the 12 minimum orders for the full catback systems are met.

Contact Information to get in this group deal:

Brian C Catts, Cattman Performance
Tucson, Arizona
520.575.6195 for ?s and 800.759.9920 to order
bcatts@cattman.com
www.cattman.com
How much for just the new resonator?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Some seemingly lack of interest is certainly due to the holiday. Although I've indicated my interest previously, I need more information in order to be sold on this. Is this the same as what Cmax put together just welded by Brian's manufacturer? Or, is this Cattman's own larger resonator section using the same kind of (just more) packing material as the Cattman muffler? What is cost just for this section?

I'm at a point where I will just weld my own up. Don't want to, but that's where I'm beginning to lean. Brian, sell us on this like you have all your other great products!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Some seemingly lack of interest is certainly due to the holiday. Although I've indicated my interest previously, I need more information in order to be sold on this. Is this the same as what Cmax put together just welded by Brian's manufacturer? Or, is this Cattman's own larger resonator section using the same kind of (just more) packing material as the Cattman muffler? What is cost just for this section?

I'm at a point where I will just weld my own up. Don't want to, but that's where I'm beginning to lean. Brian, sell us on this like you have all your other great products!
Yeap holidays are killing me, but if price is right I can swing it.....
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg

Word
Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

First, thanks to da night ryder for posting this thread. Sorry I haven't been here sooner, let me answer some questions that have come up.

We're always looking for ways to improve our exhaust systems, and sometimes those ideas come from customers. Going to a 3" system a few years ago was a big step up, but the traditional 4" diameter resonator lost a lot of effectiveness because there's only about a half-inch of room inside for packing the fibreglass. I figured there wasn't room in that tunnel for a larger resonator, so never gave it much thought.

As we all know, CMAX03 was thinking bigger than that and went through the considerable effort required to reconfigure the resonator section on his 3" Cattman catback with a 6" diameter can. According to him, the quantity (volume) and quality (less drone) of the sound has improved and the big boy fits without rattling!

So how can I ignore this? I can't because I think we can make a substantial improvement at a relatively small additional cost, so we plan to incorporate a larger resonator section (either 5" or 6") in out next batch of catbacks. Like our previous designs, it will be at least 18"-20" to tame the long-wave (low frequency) sound as Nissan did with the G35.

I need to get into the details with my exhaust partner, so its impossible to put an exact price out there, but unless there's an unforeseen expense in putting together a larger resonator can, I want to keep the price around $800 for .org members, just $40 more than our current .org discount price.

If there's interest we'll also make some replacement resonator sections (simple bolt-in) that can be used to replace the smaller diameter resonators on existing Cattman 3" catback systems.

Finally, if you're reading this and live in or near OC, CA we will very likely want to use a local car to confirm fitment. Send me a PM or email if you'd like to make your car available for one or two 1-hour fitment sessions (in return for a modest discount and the gratitude of your fellow Maxima enthusiasts).

To confirm our ordering and sales protocols on major exhaust parts, this is not a group deal, we simply repeat a cycle that begins with collecting orders (by phone) on paper - no money paid - until we meet a minimum batch size. That's typically about a dozen units, but since upgrading to "blunt-style" resonators requires a modest R&D investment, I need to raise the bar to a minimum of 15 on this initial batch.

Once we hit that number, I send out an email letting everyone know we're ready to begin production, and collect a 30% deposit to qualify the orders (always a minimum 2-day heads up). Deposits collected, we order steel and begin the production process, which typically take about 5 weeks for catbacks. When they're done we collect the balances and ship them out.

So, it costs nothing to place an order before production begins, and orders can be cancelled up until the time deposits are made. Once the money is down, each customer has reserved a catback and is expected to follow through on their purchase.

Yep, they're expensive, no doubt about it, but our margin is very small and you're getting a superior product instead of paying for advertising and distributors. Know that 75-80% of our price represents the cost of production in an industry where you're lucky to get 40 cents of product for every dollar spent.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Get Off My Lawn

You say a minimal of 15 but, how is that represented when looking at catback vs resonator only purchase/interest? I mean, is this 15 catbacks plus X number of resonators?

Great words, but (not trying to speak for everyone) "I" need and look forward to a price for just the resonator section. I understand you are talking to your supplier, so as long as the unit is at least equivalent to the magnaflow we've seen (and heard) then that aspect is sounding positive.

So, I am absolutely looking forward to an update outlining the upgrade. I assume part of the R&D will include sound clips (db comparison as Cmax suggested would be phenominal)? Subscribed.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Doesn't matter how many additional resonator units we make, 0 or 100, 15 catbacks are required to make this a successful project. Have 5 now, just need 10 more. That's not really a big deal, we make 12-20 unit batches 3-4 times a year.

This is really a practical matter - I need to be in the process of making an entire exhaust system to properly design and integrate a larger diameter resonator, and the components required to make the catback can only be sourced in quantity.

We don't do sound clips (worthless) but surely others will and I'm looking forward to working with CMax to do an actual decibel comparison (of the resonator we make) inside and outside of the car under controlled conditions.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stupid question, but would I be able to just order the pipes and res? I already have the cattman axleback. Unless if they are making a new design to go with the new res and pipes.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Not a stupid question, and welcome to the forum, but you probably have the back half of our 2.5" catback because we've never sold the 3" b-pipes and muffler/rear sections separately, just as complete 3" systems. This resonator is just for our 3" catback. If you've somehow ended up with the back half of a 3" Cattman catback, then yes, as long as it hasn't been altered to fit the rest of your system, you could special-order a 3" b-pipe (with the bigger resonator) to go with it. I do not anticipate making any more 2.5" b-pipes.

That said, to answer your other question, when the resonator is upgraded I do not expect anything else to change beyond that section.

Brian

Last edited by Cattman; 12-15-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 AM

This should be an awesome upgrade folks, I'm searching for a decibel meter and I may have found one....This larger resonator is able to quiet things down quite a bit and I'll be looking forward to Cattman incorporating this design into the 3" catback, it'll be a win, win situation,...performance with a hint of something big lurking in the dark!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cattman
I figured there wasn't room in that tunnel for a larger resonator, so never gave it much thought.

As we all know, CMAX03 was thinking bigger than that and went through the considerable effort required to reconfigure the resonator section on his 3" Cattman catback with a 6" diameter can. According to him, the quantity (volume) and quality (less drone) of the sound has improved and the big boy fits without rattling!

So how can I ignore this? I can't because I think we can make a substantial improvement at a relatively small additional cost, so we plan to incorporate a larger resonator section (either 5" or 6") in out next batch of catbacks. Like our previous designs, it will be at least 18"-20" to tame the long-wave (low frequency) sound as Nissan did with the G35.
Brian, as you know I bought the full 3" system during your last run and it was too loud for my taste. Thanks to CMax's help and guidance, along with many hours of my own time researching aftermarket mufflers/resonators, I also switched out your 4in for "CMax's" 6in (which is Magnaflow 12649 as CMax has stated). I'm certainly no expert and I'm sure you've already thought of these things, however as I have gone through this process I'd like to share a couple thoughts and observations for your consideration.

(These are written assuming you want to maximize 'quietness' = biggest can possible)

- 6" OD can will work fine, but that's the max you can go. One may be able to get a 6.25" or even 6.5", but you'll need that little bit of movement in the system to adjust all the piping to fit over that rear cross member w/out banging. Anything greater than 6" and you won't have that flexibility, the resonator would have to lie straight as an arrow and that's not a realistic outcome.

- Go greater than 18" in length. If possible, I would suggest mounting a flange directly to the back end of the can itself. If you do this you'll be able to get a much longer can than the MF12649.

- Consider that some people will need to weld O2 sensor bungs onto the resonator section, and some won't. As such, there are space restrictions as it relates to the space around that structural brace which crosses beneath the resonator pipe (about 5 inches from the end of the cat flange).

I still have the secondary O2 sensors. According to my installer, you don't want both sensors 'across the pipe' from each, they should be staggered. Therefore, I needed 2" or so of extra pipe, after the brace but before the can. So if you want to maximize the size of the resonator can, you'll want it as close to the structural brace as possible. If built this way, it will eliminate the space where one of the O2 sensor bungs is welded.

So as I understand it, depending on the length of the can, you are either (still) giving people the option to extend their O2 sensors, or you will be forcing them to get an O2 sim. (or maybe they'd have to put one of the O2 sensor bungs on the end of the cat, and then one before the brace)

As I said I'm not an expert, but these were issues I had to deal with as I went through the process. Here's what mine looks like:
Name:  IMAG0034.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  40.1 KB

Thanks for a great product I really love the new headers/system!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 PM

The secondaries could easily be installed onto the y pipe like how the obx headers has them.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
The secondaries could easily be installed onto the y pipe like how the obx headers has them.
It was my understanding they are supposed to be after the cat.(?)
Old 12-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Would use antifoulers.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
This should be an awesome upgrade folks, I'm searching for a decibel meter and I may have found one....This larger resonator is able to quiet things down quite a bit and I'll be looking forward to Cattman incorporating this design into the 3" catback, it'll be a win, win situation,...performance with a hint of something big lurking in the dark!!!
Look for the iphone app for decibel meter. Not sure if there is one for Android, but its worth a look.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Look for the iphone app for decibel meter. Not sure if there is one for Android, but its worth a look.
I looked into to those so I could post a before/after sound clip. 90% of the reviews I read were horrible. A decibel meter seems like the best gadget to use, but I had trouble finding one that was in my price range (which wasn't much).
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not a stupid question, and welcome to the forum, but you probably have the back half of our 2.5" catback because we've never sold the 3" b-pipes and muffler/rear sections separately, just as complete 3" systems. This resonator is just for our 3" catback. If you've somehow ended up with the back half of a 3" Cattman catback, then yes, as long as it hasn't been altered to fit the rest of your system, you could special-order a 3" b-pipe (with the bigger resonator) to go with it. I do not anticipate making any more 2.5" b-pipes.

That said, to answer your other question, when the resonator is upgraded I do not expect anything else to change beyond that section.

Brian
Yup, that answers my question. I was going to order a 2.5 inch mid-pipe and res to complete my exhaust early next year, but since you aren't going to make them anymore, I might have to go with a 3 inch and connect it to my 2.5 inch axleback. But i feel like I will lose power doing that. Unless if you have any leftover 2.5's laying around, then i'll take that. But if not, i'll just have to do what I said before. And, the axleback isn't altered in any way, its bolted up to the stock piping.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

We cannot guarantee correct fit when mixing 3" and 2.5" exhaust components.

In regards to placement of O2 ports on the y-pipe, we do not take our cues from OBX, we design them as Nissan designs them because our performance y-pipes are sometimes used with stock manifolds and pre-cats. We also do not consider anti-foulers to be a reliable emissions solution.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
Damn pricey cat back but it'll be uber nice And the only 3" complete Cat back on the market... I've been reading cmax's exhaust ventures lol He's.done lots of test fits and research So it'll be good!
Cattman is quality stuff.

But I must point out that this isn't the only 3" catback on the market...
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by TSelanne
It was my understanding they are supposed to be after the cat.(?)
The stock 5.5gen Maxima does not have sensors after the main cat. There is only one secondary sensor after after each precat. Obviously if you have headers then no precats exists. Here is a picture of one secondary position. Works perfectly with the antifoulers. The fouler trick has worked for well over 7,000 miles, no codes.

you can see both secondary ports in this picture. I know, these are the inferior obx headers and that cattman is so much better in build quality but all I am going to say is that these have worked perfectly for over a year and I do like the fact that they came with bungs for the secondaries.

Last edited by 02whitemaximase; 12-17-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM

Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by infiniti and b3yond
Yup, that answers my question. I was going to order a 2.5 inch mid-pipe and res to complete my exhaust early next year, but since you aren't going to make them anymore, I might have to go with a 3 inch and connect it to my 2.5 inch axleback. But i feel like I will lose power doing that. Unless if you have any leftover 2.5's laying around, then i'll take that. But if not, i'll just have to do what I said before. And, the axleback isn't altered in any way, its bolted up to the stock piping.
That's not gonna work man...The 3" exhaust flange isn't gonna bolt up to the 2.5" exhaust flange......Why not buy some 2.5" mandrel bent tubing and build a Bpipe or have a muffler shop build it for you....use a Magnaflow 4" x 22" Magnaflow resonator you can source flanges from Vibrant or Columbia River Mandrel bent tubing....it's not hard nor expensive.....
Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Just talked to Brian today and I'm number 7 so far on the list
Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Any update on price for the Section Resonator part alone...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 AM

So what do I need to do to be added to the list? And how soon would the deposit be needed?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Just call Brian and he will add you to the list a deposit won't be collected until it goes to production
Old 12-27-2012, 01:38 PM

aww I just spent a lot on upgrades recently.. This product does sound great but unfortunately not a lot of people can afford another 800 dollars when they've just purchased headers.. I'm going hungry already lol.. j/k.. Next year maybe for me.. Still got motor mounts to do.. pics would be awesome of a prototype..

Last edited by Yoshimitsu; 12-28-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Yeap holidays are killing me, but if price is right I can swing it.....
So ur planning to buy another catback?... What was wrong with the old one?.. ive been away too damn long
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
So ur planning to buy another catback?... What was wrong with the old one?.. ive been away too damn long
No I just want to get the price for the resonated new Piece of pipe, still got the complete system just swapped my Fastcat for a 3''TP, just some days want to be way more low key on the sound, still love the sound, just want to be more Sleeper Status....
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Well I pushed it back to 9-15-12, 11:59 pm....Should have that New resonator section done by Saturday night at the latest! It should be quieter off the bat but it should quiet down even more once the carbon settles inside the SS wool! This should be a repeatable procedure and maybe I can make a jig to setup a few more for those of you interested....how much do you think it's worth? The parts alone retail prices including welding, are $180.12....This doesn't including shipping!

Parts
1. Magnaflow 12649 6" round x 18" long muffler- $99.64
2. 12", T-304 SS, 3" OD, 16 guage, straight tube-$10.50
3. 2 ea Mild CRS 2-bolt, 3" ID universal exhaust flanges- $19.98 ($9.99 ea)
4.Welding-$50
Total: $180.12
extra chrgs will be included using SCE Copper 3" ID 2-bolt exhaust gaskets (2) @ $12.01 ea

Material(s) only:$154.15 (Doesn't including shipping charges) built by me and shipping out to you Orgers would be $275-$300....

Read this thread please!!!!!
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...r-here-56.html
Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 AM

The stock 5.5gen Maxima does not have sensors after the main cat. There is only one secondary sensor after after each precat. Obviously if you have headers then no precats exists. Here is a picture of one secondary position. Works perfectly with the antifoulers. The fouler trick has worked for well over 7,000 miles, no codes.

you can see both secondary ports in this picture. I know, these are the inferior obx headers and that cattman is so much better in build quality but all I am going to say is that these have worked perfectly for over a year and I do like the fact that they came with bungs for the secondaries.

Yup that is a nice feature, i have no o2 sim and no foulers and i get no codes for secondaries lol... I do get em for bank 1 sensor 1 though lol
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM

We also do not consider anti-foulers to be a reliable emissions solution.
So what is a reliable solution in the eyes of the creator of our headers?
This would be nice to know for the 02 max crowd..

Edit: Thanks Cmax03!

Last edited by Yoshimitsu; 01-03-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu
So what is a reliable solution in the eyes of the creator of our headers?
This would be nice to know for the 02 max crowd..
I'm not the creator of the headers, but O2 sim work well....3-4 yrs with (0) codes!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM

TTT

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Yup that is a nice feature, i have no o2 sim and no foulers and i get no codes for secondaries lol... I do get em for bank 1 sensor 1 though lol

That's a primary sensor code. You are probably wasting a lot of gas.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM

Bump it up.

Quick Reply: Cattman 3" Catback Exhaust (New resonated version) - Order here!