5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

crank sensor 5th gen maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

crank sensor 5th gen maxima

i recently bought a 02 maxima gle from a friend for a few bucks. it was not running at the time of purchase so i figured it would be a good project that i could mod out. i replaced a few things. the starter because it had a slow drag. the computer because apart of it was burned. the engine wiring harness because it was cut up. re programmed the key to the car due to computer change. and replaced the crank sensor due to the car not getting any spark and the code that i got from the scanner. i replaced it with a aftermarket sensor and the car would not start still. i am getting fuel the engine is rolling over as it should. and the only code i am getting is crank position sensor. i have spent alot of money so far. and i am wondering what i will have to do next. keep in mind that i already cleared the code and tried to start the car and it kept comming back. can this sensor be faulty? or do i have any electrical issuse. my friend told me he had replaced the water pump on this car during the time that it was down. he said that he didnt mess with the timing. i am wondering if it could be a timing issue as well. but i dont get any spark everything else seems to be fine.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM

My first instinct would be to get and oem sensor. Even a junk yard one just to see if it helps. Obviously check the connctions but judging by the work you have already done...you know better than I sir.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 AM

Never use aftermarket crankshaft position sensors. Even if you can get it to fit, the engine doesn't like it. Go OEM on any engine sensor 100% and that should solve your problems based on the trouble code shown.

Could be possible the crank sensor harness is bad, but more often than not, it's the sensor itself.

GL.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i will get a genuine oem crank sensor from the dealer and try it out and let you guys know. but i doubt its the wiring for the crank sensor in both harnesses. because the other harness came out of a working car. thanks guys for the help