5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Heater fan issue... need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 AM

Heater fan issue... need help

Hey guys,

So my heater stopped working today. It's been going for a while but I need to handle it asap.

It's been working on and off for the past week. One day it works, the next it does etc. and it seems completely random. At one point it worked for a few days straight and not it doesn't seem to want to work at all.

My best guess is the relay, because of how it works and doesnt work randomly on different days.

Can anybody tell me is the blower relay the one marked AC under the hood? I'm guessing not so can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance! It's -10c today and it's going to get worse pretty fast so I can use all the help I can get.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
Hey guys,

So my heater stopped working today. It's been going for a while but I need to handle it asap.

It's been working on and off for the past week. One day it works, the next it does etc. and it seems completely random. At one point it worked for a few days straight and not it doesn't seem to want to work at all.

My best guess is the relay, because of how it works and doesnt work randomly on different days.

Can anybody tell me is the blower relay the one marked AC under the hood? I'm guessing not so can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance! It's -10c today and it's going to get worse pretty fast so I can use all the help I can get.
Do you have manual or automatic climate control? So what you are saying is that your blower fan quit working?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM

Yeah the fan stopped working. I have the auto climate control (digital one).
It works once and while but more often it doesnt work
Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 PM

Mine would make an intermittent noise last winter until it finally gave out. Turned out to be the actual fan motor that is behind the glove box. If so remove about 6 screws that hold in the box and find the motor location. Remove the 3 screws, lower the motor and disconnect the wire connection. Nissan wanted $407 for a new one but was able to get a suitable replacement from a local parts supplier. (Spectra Premium Pt#3010022) motor for around $75. This motor has wires hanging out of it so either splice it to the original feed wires or do what I did and put proper connectors on the motor wire leads and plug into original plug in harnass. This was the easiest fan motor replacement I have ever done. Even the blade was easy to interchange as it is held on with a nut.
This was at about 175,000kms on car.

Last edited by Donystoy; 01-11-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM

Yeah the fan stopped working. I have the auto climate control (digital one).
It works once and while but more often it doesnt work
The auto climate control uses what is called a fan control amplifier to control fan speed. Mine was doing the same thing until it quit working completely, during the dead humid heat of the Florida summer. I replaced that module and it has been working great ever since. Downside is that the part isn't cheap, and is around $100 dollars.

Nissan part number is 27761-2Y000

The part is located next to the blower motor. Some can get to it without removing the glove box, but I went ahead and removed mine so I could take the blower motor out and clean the fan blades up.

This may or may not be your problem, so check fuses, etc. However, more than likely it is this part.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 PM

Okay so I just tried swapping out the relay and it didn't help. So I'm guessing its the motor or the fan amplifier.

Donystoy- Do you also have the auto climate control?

TBehr- So when yours was working did it work at all speeds or only one setting? When mine turns on it works will full function and all speeds.

I'm just trying to narrow this down so I only have to buy one part. Thanks alot for the input on this. At least I know both parts are an easy replacement.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM

I think that you have a bad fan motor. Next time it doesn't run, tap on the fan motor with something. The brushes may be sticking or worn out
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 AM

Yes I have the auto climate control.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 AM

okayI'll check the connections on the fan motor next. So I'm getting a feeling that it's probably the fan motor.

Anybody have any thoughts fan motor vs. amplifier?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM

after reading the thread and changing the fuse didnt work you have a busted blower motor. Just change it out. This is a very common issue on the 5th gen. There are plenty of threads w more info too just search.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 AM

thanks prophecy. I'll pull it out tonight I think.
Thanks again for all the help guys. I'll let you know once it's fixed. It's -18c today so I hope to have it all fixed before the weekend is out.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 AM

Its an easy replacement. I did mine in like 30 minutes
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM

I just had this happen 0n my wifes 03, I replaced the amplifier it works great and i didnt even have take off the glovebox the amplifier is located below the glovebox 2 screws done in 5 mins.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM

TBehr- So when yours was working did it work at all speeds or only one setting? When mine turns on it works will full function and all speeds.
When it would act up, the fan wouldn't come on no matter what speed setting it was set to. When it finally went out, it wouldn't come on at all. I bought the amplifier and installed it and it works now like it used to.

Also, check the fan blower motor itself as others mentioned. You don't want to rule anything out.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:40 PM

Do the fan motor. The amplifier is not your problem, they work or they are dead. The motor is the thing that can be intermittent.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Do the fan motor. The amplifier is not your problem, they work or they are dead. The motor is the thing that can be intermittent.
Yup that's what I was trying to say

Mine didn't "die" completely right away. It started as an intermittent problem where it would work or not work when it wanted to.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 PM

The climate control system has a self-diagnostic program built into it.
Why not eliminate the guesswork and just use that?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 AM

That would be interesting to run the diagnostic with a dead fan motor. I'm thinking the diagnostic can tell that the signal is being sent to run the fan, but can it tell if the fan actually spins.

To the op, if the fan is working when you run the diagnostic, it probably won't find anything wrong. Only run it when the fan is in-op.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM

So I pulled out the glove box and fan motor to have a closer look at it. While I had the fan pulled but still connected to the harness I ran the diagnostic check. While I ran the check the fan worked fine. Now I'm questioning if it could be the fan since it came on every time the diagnostic function was set to test it.

I've now lost my direction with this... any ideas?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 AM

I still think the motor is the problem. Probably the brushes are wearing out or sticking in their holder. When you removed the fan, you probably had it in a different position/orientation when you ran the test.

As long as you have the motor out, feel up in the opening to make sure there isn't any debris or leaves or junk in there to interfere with the squirrel cage.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM

So I pulled out the glove box and fan motor to have a closer look at it. While I had the fan pulled but still connected to the harness I ran the diagnostic check. While I ran the check the fan worked fine. Now I'm questioning if it could be the fan since it came on every time the diagnostic function was set to test it.

I've now lost my direction with this... any ideas?
just change your blower motor man, i would bet that is all it is.
I bet after the flop that is was, and now were at the river and I am all In.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-write-up.html
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...overdrive.html
2nd link has part numbers
hope that helps
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM

It was the amplifier for me. In my case the fan would just blow full force. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM

While you have everything open make sure you remove your cabin filter which is just to the left of the motor and clean it. Unless it has a hole in the medium don't go buying a new one. This is one situation where they want a million dollars for a 25 cent item. We ran for years without these anyway.

One note on the aftermarket motor I installed. It does not run with the same sound as the original and has an occasional fluttering sound. Since it was a fraction of the cost of OEM I can put up with a little fluctuation in sound.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem, but I can hear the fan going slightly, if you have a brush and armature problem with the fan, it won't work period, if you hook a fan up to power and it works, your replacing a fan for no reason, yes it may be common, but the thing about amplifiers and controllers is, their circuit boards, they can occasionally kick out, just keep in mind the sub woofer problem with these cars, a simple solder and their circuit board fixed the problem.
If you do a diagnostic check and the fan comes on, its not the fan, it will be a control issue.
It turned out to be the amplifier for me too. The moment it was replaced we had our fan back, what a beautiful thing, so thank you all for your suggestions