5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima 6speed- major issue_Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 Maxima 6speed- major issue_Please help!

I'm sure this question may have been answered or briefed over before but my issue I think may be a little different. Ok so I have a 2002 nissan maxima and is 6 speed. I recently had another motor replaced that has roughly 150,000 miles on it but kept the same tranny from my last motor that had 165,000 miles. I brought my car to nissan because I was having an issue with all of my gears including reverse not going into gear, and then sometimes going into gear. They said it was my Master Slave Cylinder because I didn't have pressure in my clutch peddle so it was I replaced, so that problem was solved but NOW, I picked it up and drove fine so it seemed perfect again, then the same issue came back after leaving the parking lot. I turned my car on and tried going into gear and couldn't and on top of that my car launched and stalled making a loud Boom sound.. This happened about 3 times.. Now I'm hoping its not my transmission.. Has anyone heard or experienced this annoying issue ?? Any response would be very helpful, thanks guys and ladies.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM

The trans line may not have been bled properly. Pump the pedal a few times to build up pressure and see if it is driveable. If so, get it back to the garage.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Maybe I am misreading here, but you took it to Nissan because of issues of it getting into gear, and they replaced the motor? Or was the motor issue a different thing? For those symptoms, I can't see any possible way a motor replacement was called for.

At any rate, the answer here is to get it back to Nissan. If that is what you took it to them for, and it is still doing the same thing, then you paid for nothing, and they still have work to do.

If I was gonna take a wild guess at this, perhaps not the slave cylinder but your clutch line has a hole, so without fluid/pressure your pedal would go flat. That would explain why if they replaced the slave cylinder, they would have filled it, bled it, and why when you drove it it worked in the short term and then went back to doing the same thing.

No matter what though, you either gotta take it back to them, or get your money back. I would ask them if they even bothered to test drive it. Or if they just slapped a new part on there and didn't bother verifying that it worked.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:23 PM

I had that same problem, try adjusting the nut on the clutch pedal. I bled mine for hours with the same problem as you, and all it was was that nut behind the clutch pedal
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 PM

This is probably beyond me but let me add in the hopes that it helps. Your problem description can be read as either a problem with gear selection or a clutch problem. Assuming the former (gear selection) then you have a linkage problem which shouldn't get worse so quickly after being fixed. This suggests the latter (clutch problem) because you also mention the master slave cylinder being replaced. These are actually separate -there is a master and a slave cylinder. It is not uncommon for them to both need to be replaced as a problem with one (master) can lead to the other (slave). However they don't have to be replaced in pairs (but a lot of shops like to do it this way). Regardless, once replaced they should not fail again any time soon. Everything else you have written sounds still like we are talking about the clutch. The clutch is completely independent of the engine so you could be having problems with one or both of them. I can't really follow what you are saying with "and couldn't and on top of that my car launched and stalled". Can you be a bit more precise and descriptive?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 AM

This sounds like a simple fix to me like he said...^ clutch slave, got a bad master?, or your clutch is just wore out maxima clutch systems are one of the hardest to bleed out not surprising if it was done wrong dealer or not...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys for the response, I found out it was my clutch that needed to be replaced.. I appriciate it... \m/(o.-)\m/