5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP! 2003 Maxima cranks but won't start after spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP! 2003 Maxima cranks but won't start after spark plug change

I have a very strange predicament that one would think would be very simple to solve, but I have gotten no where as of this posting.

I have a 2003 Maxima SE bone stock with just over 111,000 miles. Yesterday, I had the idea that I wanted to check one of the spark plugs as my spark plugs have never been changed before that I am aware of. The car has been driving and starting perfectly up until this point. I plan was to just take out one spark plug to get a visual on what the rest looked like. I pulled the plastic engine cover, then took out the ignition coil on the cylinder closest to the alternator. I then took out the spark plug and examined it visually, then immediately reinstalled everything the same exact way that I took it apart. I did not do this to any other of the spark plugs, just that one closest to the alternator. The plugs likely needed to be changed soon based on my inspection, but I did not have new ones yet to install. I pressed down very firmly on the ignition coil to make sure it was making contact with the spark plug. I did not touch anything else in the engine compartment except for what I mentioned above. Here is where the fun begins:

After everything was put back together, I went to crank the engine and it fired but was idling extremely rough and vibrating the car. I turned the engine off after probably 3 seconds. I assumed that the cylinder that I took the plug out of and put back was not firing. Just as all of this happened, it started to rain, and so I just let the car sit like it was overnight (hood was closed) and would work on it the next day.

Today, I took everything apart just as I did yesterday, but made double sure that everything was put back together correctly. This time, I go to crank the engine and it turns over but get no fire whatsoever. The starter sounded like it is working harder than normal or not getting as much power. I then began scratching my head.

I went down to Advance Auto and bought six new NGK spark plugs just as what came in the car from the factory as I was planning to do the park plug change soon anyways. I thought that maybe somehow the old spark plug had become defective. I installed a new plug in the cylinder in question. I went to start the car, and the same thing happened as earlier in the day: the engine cranks but won't fire over! Also, the starter still sounds like it's laboring. So, now I'm thinking that maybe the ECM needs to be reset or something, so I disconnect the battery and let it sit for about 20 minutes (I'm note sure if this actually does anything but gave it a shot). I also am thinking that the battery may possibly be on its way out as it's almost 3 years old due to the way the starter sounded, so I connected some jumper cables to my dad's car while his was running. I then tried to crank it again, and it's still doing the same thing!!! I tried to crank it a little longer this time, and it would fire for about half a second but not fire fully. A little smoke came out the tailpipe as well.

I really am at a loss right now. I'm finding it hard to believe that I put something back together incorrectly as what I did was very straightforward. In fact, I replaced the valve cover gasket on the front of the engine a couple of years ago, and I had to take the ignition coils off for that with no issues afterwards. Nothing obviously appeared to be wrong. Someone PLEASE help me as I feel that I have done all of the trouble shooting that I can. Is it possible that when I started the car last night, and that cylinder was not firing that something became damaged in the engine? Sorry for the essay...

Last edited by johnsm42; 02-04-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 PM

Try checking the fuses labeled ENG CONT 1 and ENG CONT 2 in the under hood fuse panel by the battery.

Also - when you are trying to start the car, is the security led in the clock on solid?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The problem has been solved! Apparently my ignition coil on that one cylinder decided to crap out when I took it out. I replaced the ignition coil, and now the car runs fine. Hopefully this can help someone in the future who has a similar problem.