5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Worthless Aftermarket Drive Shafts - What Gives?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 AM

Worthless Aftermarket Drive Shafts - What Gives?

Okay I am currently 0 for 3 on an aftermarket drive shaft for the right side of my Max (I damaged the carrier bearing when removing the original for the clutch job). These were all supposed to be newly manufactured drive shafts. One from AutoZone and two from Advance and they've all had the same stiff outer CV joint. I put one in my car already and it grinds under any kind of torque and every time I turn or hit a bump. This is starting to get a bit frustrating. I ordered a Reman from O'reilly's today, we'll see if that one is any better. The dealership quoted me $763 for an OEM shaft. Anybody else run into this?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM

O yea very common known problem. If you want some good axels. Search for raxels axels or go oem. Anything aftermarket is junk for our cars. Or calk junkyard for a used oem. It really sucks man
Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 PM
RR5

Check car-part.com too, you could pick up one same day if you find an open salvage yard in your area.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:40 PM

Let me know what you think of the O'Reilly axle. I currently have a starter and alternator from them on my car, and so far, so good with that.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Let me know what you think of the O'Reilly axle. I currently have a starter and alternator from them on my car, and so far, so good with that.
It's supposed to be in Tuesday. I'll update my findings then.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In need of as well so let us know........
Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM

I used NAPA brand (new, not reman) last Sept. So far so good.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's hit or miss. Doesn't matter on the brand. I got one 'good' one from autozone but it turns out the freakin boot clamp wasn't on well enough and fell off shortly after I installed it. After 4000 miles of smooth driving the dirt worked its way inside the boot and my car turned into a vibrator real quick. I currently have an advance auto parts one on it now and have a slight vibration but not terrible. I have two oem ones in my garage that I need to have remanufactured...my friend had his oem one remanufactured and it was perfect.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 AM

I read all that about bad aftermarket ones and went ahead and got a lifetime from Autozone anyway. I drove on it for a week before I felt it was ok to turn in mine as a core.

I've now had it on for about 6k miles with no problems at all. It was reman, not new.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Their starters and altenators are OK. I used to work for them and we didn't have very many of them returned for warranty issues. I've had one of there starters on my car for about 6 yrs. and I've never had a problem.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Tried this. The only driveshaft they have listed on their website for MT is a reman. I went to the store to order it and was told he could pull up the part number but it wouldn't let him order it. Was listed as unavailable. Then told me the AT version was available...like that was going to do me any good.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 PM
SLOW

i know lots of guys have problems with parts store drive shafts, but i personally have never had an issue. I've owned 4 maximas, and have probably replaced 6 axles on those 4 maximas, and had a problem only on one (snap ring issue inside the CV joint).
Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DennisMik
same and they come with a lifetime warranty. Those and raxles are all I use and never have had a problem.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Well I got the O'reillys drive shaft this morning. It actually seems like it might work. Going to put it in this weekend. Also gonna forfeit my core charge. It's only $15 and I'm not sure enough to get rid of the original. May end up trying to fix it, or have it fixed.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM

I've had an aftermarket passenger side MT axle that I got from a Canadian company called bay auto, I believe it was a reman. Not sire the brand, it was about $160.

It has been pretty good so far, but lately I have suspected my rotors to be "warped", as there is a vibration in the steering wheel/pedal upon braking. I know that is most likely the cause, but is there a possibility that a drive shaft could cause this, I could swear it's more predominant on that side.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brl24
I've had an aftermarket passenger side MT axle that I got from a Canadian company called bay auto, I believe it was a reman. Not sire the brand, it was about $160.

It has been pretty good so far, but lately I have suspected my rotors to be "warped", as there is a vibration in the steering wheel/pedal upon braking. I know that is most likely the cause, but is there a possibility that a drive shaft could cause this, I could swear it's more predominant on that side.
It is your rotors.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM

this is why you pay the extra $10 to get the lifetime warranty version of parts like this. Since they ALL go bad sooner or later, and many wayyyy to fast, you can at least save a little on the part itself
Old 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Yeah that is very true, I just replaced mine last Firday new from Advanceautoparts lifetime warranty.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Here's an update.
New O'Reillys drive shaft seems fine. Both joints operated smoothly so I replaced the one on the car. The problem is still there.

Any Ideas???
It sounds like a pop corn popper anytime it's under heavy acceleration or when accelerating around corners. Sounds almost like a bad drive shaft but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with this one. Problem did not exist before the clutch job and I can't think of what else could be causing it.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:04 AM
RR5

Try posting in this thread
Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 PM

I have had my max for like 2.5 years and have replaced my pass side axle 4 different times with napa axles, I'm down to about 30-40mins to change it out lol. I have replaced the drivers side twice, from what I understand if your max is lowered its east hub bearings and axles. Came across this website for a custom axles on another post on this forum I think it was cvaxles.com if I remember correctly they were compareing them to raxles.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM

I see that you have a 5.5 6-spd... dunno if the model yr makes a difference.

I used the advance auto parts gsp axles on my 01gle for both axles replaced at around 152K... currently at 218K without any issues.

Granted its our family car and we dont really push her hard anymore lol.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by kukx30de
I see that you have a 5.5 6-spd... dunno if the model yr makes a difference.

I used the advance auto parts gsp axles on my 01gle for both axles replaced at around 152K... currently at 218K without any issues.

Granted its our family car and we dont really push her hard anymore lol.
Yeah, I got two Advance Auto 'Tough One' new axles and they both had bad outer joints out of the box. Would not recommend.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Is the tough one same as GSP? they were like 40 something with the online coupons.

Mine have been running great! and with a lifetime warranty cant be beat.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by kukx30de
Is the tough one same as GSP? they were like 40 something with the online coupons.

Mine have been running great! and with a lifetime warranty cant be beat.
I don't know. It's the only one they have available for the MT Maxima. They had a couple different ones for the AT.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM

For sure I'm not dealing with NAPA anymore

1) When I got some axles for the Maxima everything went fine

2) When I got some axles for my Celica everything went horrible
a. They gave me the wrong driver side axle. They didn't have one another in stock. Half of the axle was the correct size...the other half seemed to belong to another car.
b. Passenger side started to make a *clunk* sound when I brake...that started to happen days after installation.

Maybe next time I'll try O'reilly or just save up for raxles.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
For sure I'm not dealing with NAPA anymore

1) When I got some axles for the Maxima everything went fine

2) When I got some axles for my Celica everything went horrible
a. They gave me the wrong driver side axle. They didn't have one another in stock. Half of the axle was the correct size...the other half seemed to belong to another car.
b. Passenger side started to make a *clunk* sound when I brake...that started to happen days after installation.

Maybe next time I'll try O'reilly or just save up for raxles.
I have always had good luck with them, good prices with a lifetime warranty. Which is very important on a dropped 5.5 which can eat through axels. But I always bring my old axels so I don't have to make another trip and compare. I have found at autozone and others what they had was not the correct part. Always pays to bring the part you need.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by fishtale6spd
O yea very common known problem. If you want some good axels. Search for raxels axels or go oem. Anything aftermarket is junk for our cars. Or calk junkyard for a used oem. It really sucks man
I went with Raxles, no problems so far.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maxprivate
I have never had a problem with raxels and use them when time is not an issue. Very impressed with the quality. They are honestly the best business I have ever had to work with.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 AM

When you say right side what side is that? Passenger or driverS? If you MT then I believe Raxle only makes the one on the Pass side. So if you need a Driver side one just go OEM. OEM axles are pretty dam good as well as Raxle. From what I read on here everyone going cheap with those Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc $150 CHEAP AZZ garbage axles replaceing them every 5k miles....not worth it.

Bottom line.....Raxle or OEM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
When you say right side what side is that? Passenger or driverS? If you MT then I believe Raxle only makes the one on the Pass side. So if you need a Driver side one just go OEM. OEM axles are pretty dam good as well as Raxle. From what I read on here everyone going cheap with those Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc $150 CHEAP AZZ garbage axles replaceing them every 5k miles....not worth it.

Bottom line.....Raxle or OEM.
When discussing right or left on a vehicle, always assume you're sitting in the driver's seat. Right is the passenger side and left is the driver side. Now as far as cheap axles go, I've replaced a lot of axles in my lifetime and I've always used cheap azz axles from AutoZone or Advance. Never have I had a problem with them until this car. Both the axles on my old Toyota came from AutoZone and they now have over 120,000 miles on them without a single problem. I can understand (maybe) spending the $250 on Raxles if you really require a performance part. Maybe you're slammed and go through axles like water. I get that. I payed $70 for the axle I finally got to work. And that's with a lifetime warranty. I went through 3 bad axles before I got this one (I only installed one bad one, you could tell they were bad in the box) and I'm still only out my original $70 and a little bit of work on my part. Now OEM is $700+. I can buy 10 brand new lifetime warranty axles for the cost of 1 of these SOB's. Nissan seems to have put it at a price point that screams "we don't want you to even think about buying these becaus it's too much hassle for us".

So to those who say Raxles or go home, you obviously have a bit more disposable income than me and care about never having to do the job twice. Maybe your time is worth $180 an hour (about how long it took me to change and the difference in price from 'CHEAP AZZ GARBAGE') and that's fine. But if you say go OEM or go home??? Yo need to get the Nissan D1ck out of your azz and have your head examined. I hope you at least get a reach around.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
So to those who say Raxles or go home, you obviously have a bit more disposable income than me and care about never having to do the job twice. Maybe your time is worth $180 an hour (about how long it took me to change and the difference in price from 'CHEAP AZZ GARBAGE') and that's fine. But if you say go OEM or go home??? Yo need to get the Nissan D1ck out of your azz and have your head examined. I hope you at least get a reach around.
Yes, I do have a bit more disposable income. So those lifetime CHEAP AZZ PARTS dont include your wasted time in labor taking it off and putting it back on. Im not slammed at all. on Eibachs and Tokico blues. The OEM axles are THEFT, I agree with that. I would go Raxle on the passenger side and then if I had to replace the driver side I would just get another OEM one because the OEM one on my turbo Maxima is still in tack and car has over 108k miles on it. To me its worth paying that $700 ONCE than to pay $70 replacing those dam axles 3-5 times per the life of the vehicle. I want to enjoy driving my car not out in the garage making repairs to in week after week after week. Its your car do what you like. I was just giving advice.......No one said "OEM OR GO HOME."

BTW...I'd personaly take the nissan D1CK up my azz ONCE and get it over with than to get the AUTOZONE D1CK again and again and again!!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
Were you able to buy from Raxles and if so, how much did it set you back? I heard that they only do rebuilds on the one you own and ship to them.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM

There is no such thing as "aftermarket" shaft. They are oem, but remanufactured shaft, which they take your old one, replace the bearings and seals and boot and clamp and they are exacting standards as your orignials. I know this, since I work at parts store. Even Nissan parts for shafts, power steering pump, calipers, starters and alternators are all going to be remanufactured. Never going to be brand new unless your car is 2013.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
There is no such thing as "aftermarket" shaft. They are oem, but remanufactured shaft, which they take your old one, replace the bearings and seals and boot and clamp and they are exacting standards as your orignials. I know this, since I work at parts store. Even Nissan parts for shafts, power steering pump, calipers, starters and alternators are all going to be remanufactured. Never going to be brand new unless your car is 2013.
And you're wrong. Most of the aftermarket parts stores sell both Reman and NEW drive shafts. They certainly aren't Nissan parts. I had the unfortunate opportunity to look at several.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
You're wrong. As rebelhell said, they're NEW axles available but they're made from cheap material. You're better off with a reman than a new axle.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
You're wrong. As rebelhell said, they're NEW axles available but they're made from cheap material. You're better off with a reman than a new axle.
Agree for the most part, but my reman has a 1 year warranty, however my 'new' napa axle for 120 has a lifetime warranty. It all comes down to if you blow through them and how fast, and how fast you can replace them imo.