5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein ss coilovers suck!! Do not buy them

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
How much are you really expecting to get for $1000-$1400?
What coilovers are better that are available for our maximas?

There's better coilovers, sure, but not for this car. Before you say JIC you might want to research the reliability and reviews on them

Teins only cost about $100-200 to repair/replace per corner, and that's for the whole thing. Same as replacing a strut. Except it's way less work.

There's a pile of less reliable strut/spring combos that are way crappier than the Tein's.

There's little to no Tein SS issues, really, considering that 9/10 people only post on a forum/online when something negative happens, there's no bad reviews on this product to mention, they're all good reviews.

You will simply NOT find a spring strut combo that rides as good as the Tein SS/SA, period. They outperform in every aspect, are adjustable, etc.

Also the only good spring strut combo is not available for the 5th gen last time I checked anyways, and it's still rougher than the Tein's are.

Have you ever been in a 5th gen on tein ss? You will instantly retract all the negativity lol.
BC CO's are comparable Teins. They are not as comfortable but ceffy is going to come in here soon and tell us how they go m0Ar l0W vs the tiens so they are better

But i would rather have the Tiens, other would rather have the BCs just for their performance and adjustablity.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM

The bcs are great from what Ive heard, the only reason i choose the teins is because of my climate,I couldn't get info on the BCs in cold salty .

I also found the teins used at the same price so it was a no brainer

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 04-12-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Banned

I have bc on right now i only put like 500 miles on the sence i installed them on the 03 last year but they seem good.have any of you read the review i posted about the xyz coilovers i have on the 97 i posted it in the Ghustle thread what a pos product im so pissed.but any way on my bc's the only thing i worry about is the adjustment threads and having them on in the winter once i had them setup i coated the thread body and adjusting collers with clear plastidip to prevent crosion and grit from getting in there it may look crappy but i rather have ugly coilovers that are protected then goodlooking and non functioning.i did want the tein ss but when i was going to get them i could not find a set that had mounts it had looked like they stopped making them with camber plates and top mounts for our cars.oan i did swap out my coilovers during the winter and put on the blues/s tech combo just to be safe man i really hate those s tech springs but i dont drive the car anyway so.

Just my babbling take it as it is and make sure you stop by the Ghustle thread and read that review on xyz i did.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
BC CO's are comparable Teins. They are not as comfortable but ceffy is going to come in here soon and tell us how they go m0Ar l0W vs the tiens so they are better

But i would rather have the Tiens, other would rather have the BCs just for their performance and adjustablity.
The main thing I judge coilovers on is something that all of these millions of different colored ones struggle with is low speed dampening. At cruising speeds my coils are firm and the ride is controlled. Same with my friend's K-sports. Same with Stance in cars that I've ridden in. However in parking lots and residential streets, you'll see a well designed coilover vs. a fanboy coilover set apart because with the cheaper models you will be getting punched in the gut over bumps or your car's azz will be twerkin all crazy.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
I have bc on right now i only put like 500 miles on the sence i installed them on the 03 last year but they seem good.have any of you read the review i posted about the xyz coilovers i have on the 97 i posted it in the Ghustle thread what a pos product im so pissed.but any way on my bc's the only thing i worry about is the adjustment threads and having them on in the winter once i had them setup i coated the thread body and adjusting collers with clear plastidip to prevent crosion and grit from getting in there it may look crappy but i rather have ugly coilovers that are protected then goodlooking and non functioning.i did want the tein ss but when i was going to get them i could not find a set that had mounts it had looked like they stopped making them with camber plates and top mounts for our cars.oan i did swap out my coilovers during the winter and put on the blues/s tech combo just to be safe man i really hate those s tech springs but i dont drive the car anyway so.

Just my babbling take it as it is and make sure you stop by the Ghustle thread and read that review on xyz i did.
I was skeptical on those XYZ POS ever since the first thread was posted about them. And people got on me telling me i need to give **** a chance i was like you already described it as **** so what is the point.

The only real cheap proven coilover have been BCs, and the first people to discover this might surprise you. The first review i read on them when they came out came from the Dodge Neon forum a couple of autoXers were shocked that their cheap COs were outperform cars with thousands dropped on suspension and were comfortable to boot. A good friend of mine has them on his M3 and it they ride as if the car is stock despite how low it is.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
The main thing I judge coilovers on is something that all of these millions of different colored ones struggle with is low speed dampening. At cruising speeds my coils are firm and the ride is controlled. Same with my friend's K-sports. Same with Stance in cars that I've ridden in. However in parking lots and residential streets, you'll see a well designed coilover vs. a fanboy coilover set apart because with the cheaper models you will be getting punched in the gut over bumps or your car's azz will be twerkin all crazy.
Stance Co's were not bad on the Z/Gs. They actually rode quite comfortably. K sports i have nothing really decent to say about them they are just COs thats all.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Banned

We can use any coilover with a little modding i watched them put together the xyz brand all they have is a few different body styles to pick from then drop them in a jig and weld the bottom mount on then throw the correct top mounts on so in theroy we could take a high rated set of coils and weld on the bottom mounts and find a set of top plates and call it a day
Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Im set up to get the Meghans in a few months, so I'll be able to make a thread about my impression of those.......
Old 04-11-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33

This is true of any mis matched spring and strut combo. Or any lowered car in combo with the above. Some coils like the teins are better at one damping setting, even if it's softer (for track use) or harder for parking lots and street duty. I didn't get that backwards either.

The key is matching spring rate with damping/valving. The teins do best around the half way point in damping setting with the stock springs. That applies to the street and track. When the spring and strut work together and don't fight each other you get the best of both worlds.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 04-11-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM

How much are you really expecting to get for $1000-$1400?
What coilovers are better that are available for our maximas?
I was in the market for the JIC but this would have likely been a track set-up and it didnt make financial sense at the time. Again, I am not hating on Tein by any mean, they are a great company, but I just think there are better options out there. If I had to get more reliable CO"s it would have been BC's. I have just heard great things about them on numerous platforms

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 04-11-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
I was in the market for the JIC but this would have likely been a track set-up and it didnt make financial sense at the time. Again, I am not hating on Tein by any mean, they are a great company, but I just think there are better options out there. If I had to get more reliable CO"s it would have been BC's. I have just heard great things about them on numerous platforms
If your car is going to be PRIMARILY a track car BC>>>Tiens.

If you plan on using this car on the road Tien>>>BC

If you are like ceffy() where m0Ar l0W is better than:
BC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>Tien.

There are the options. Love you ceffy

Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM

^ dude in the blue shirt in the back gets it the worst in your av
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There's better coilovers, sure, but not for this car. Before you say JIC you might want to research the reliability and reviews on them

Teins only cost about $100-200 to repair/replace per corner, and that's for the whole thing. Same as replacing a strut. Except it's way less work.

There's a pile of less reliable strut/spring combos that are way crappier than the Tein's.

There's little to no Tein SS issues, really, considering that 9/10 people only post on a forum/online when something negative happens, there's no bad reviews on this product to mention, they're all good reviews.

You will simply NOT find a spring strut combo that rides as good as the Tein SS/SA, period. They outperform in every aspect, are adjustable, etc.

Also the only good spring strut combo is not available for the 5th gen last time I checked anyways, and it's still rougher than the Tein's are.

Have you ever been in a 5th gen on tein ss? You will instantly retract all the negativity lol.
I'm going to have to agree with this. Those of you around long enough might remember that I went through a few strut/spring combos but as soon as I tried the Tein SS I was sold. The ride quality of this car just does not take well to most strut/spring with a drop and higher spring rates, generally speaking, since ride quality is subjective and someone is going to say "my S-techs + stock struts rides like better than stock". Tein's damper valving and spring rates are matched up pretty well, even if they offer less "settings" than others. The fact that Tein SS reuse the stock rubber top hats also makes it better than most other coils for ride quality simply because you don't have that metal on metal contact when pillowballs are used. There's also lower likelihood of unwanted squeaks and rattles. In the grand scheme of things, Teins may be budget coils and have inferior dampers to Koni, KW, Bilstein, etc, but they are still probably one of the best options for the Maxima, and we know there aren't that many to begin with.

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 04-12-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 AM

^^^+1

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
The fact that Tein SS reuse the stock rubber top hats also makes it better than most other coils for ride quality simply because you don't have that metal on metal contact when pillowballs are used.
Huge point!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Oreilly auto parts are getting me a set of kyb gr-2's tomorrow morning. Tein is going to take there sweet *** time. Looks like there repair guys only work on Wednesdays or something ridiculous which means my strut is probably sitting there for 2-3 weeks until I get it back. So I am buying some backup struts to put on my stock springs tomorrow and probably going to send my other front one out if its looking bad. Glad I made a backup plan. Also makes for good spares if they blowout again. So if you ever get tein's keep all your old suspension because your going to need it. Glad I at least held on to the stock springs.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM

I used to have KYB GR-2s and eibach springs on my 4th gen...they are OK.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Isn't the gr2 just a low budget tokiko replica, Ie. Soft as stock or more so and cheaper in quality?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Got Retrofit?

Isn't the gr2 just a low budget tokiko replica, Ie. Soft as stock or more so and cheaper in quality?
They're somewhat stiffer than stock.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM

I wouldnt say gr-2 are low budget. There like $280 for the shocks and struts.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 AM

Teins are just well marketed by the lighter cars like honda's. Those springs on maxima's is just for looks and guys look at cars parked in parking lots looking all cute sitting there not driving but they have no idea what the ride is like on a bumpy or rough roads. I got the GR-2 with Canuck and it's that line between performance and comfort. Because I did coilovers in the past I will never buy them again. Straight drop all the way for me
Old 04-13-2013, 05:30 AM

teins work great for the 4th gen maxima. mrjasonlyrics doesn't have a 4th gen, so he wouldnt know what he is talking about
Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 AM

This is true except the OP has a 5thgen
Old 04-13-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by melvinman2003
I am so frustrated right now. I have had my tein SS coilovers for a little under two years and less then 16k miles with daily driving and the driver side strut is deader then crap. This is horrible considering that my stock struts lasted well over 100k. The strut literally has zero bounce back and is leaking BAD!

Honestly after all I experienced with aftermarket parts the quality is downright horrible. If I knew this I would have just gotten KYB's and some lowering springs. Not to mention a replacement I heard can take awhile to get and this is my daily driver. Thank god I have another car which doesn't have Tein's but KYB's and progressive springs.
I've always felt that way about Coilovers! Also the fact that rebuilding coilover sounds cool but what's the freaking turn around time...I could've ordered struts when I noticed there was a problem and had it rectified ASAP... I'm not sold on coilovers for everyday used Daily driven cars...I'll be installing Koni coilovers on my Dodge Shelby Charger but it won't be a DD...but will be setup for auto-x/street and fine tuned for the best ride/handling compromise....I haven't rode in too many coilover cars that I was pleased with on normal everyday streets and maybe that was because the person(s) who set it up didn't have a clue of what they were doing....Anyway I like aftermarket shocks/struts with moderately dropped springs....It gives the look and street handling I need..anyway that's my take on this Coilover subject!

Last edited by CMax03; 04-13-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:46 AM

coil-overs are for track use only. end of story. just get lowering springs and shocks and struts.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by theblackone3.5
coil-overs are for track use only. end of story. just get lowering springs and shocks and struts.
Wrong! My 09 came factory with coilovers
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 AM

bull****, no maxima came factory with coil-overs!!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 AM

Wrong! My 09 came factory with coilovers
It came with what Stop telling lies bro. Since when Nissan offers aftermarket coilovers on Sedans
Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 AM

So much to learn

I'm out
Old 04-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics

It came with what Stop telling lies bro. Since when Nissan offers aftermarket coilovers on Sedans
his 09 ain't a sedan, bro
Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83

his 09 ain't a sedan, bro
God damn lolz
Old 04-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Banned

bull****, no maxima came factory with coil-overs!!!!
Who said maxima
Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

http://www.courtesyparts.com/gtr-par...8010_8012.html
Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics

Wait!do you not know that your oe struts are aftermarket if you gots a SE version car.and yeah my 09's are considered coilovers cause they adjustable and progressive rate springs and the hight automatacically adjust depending on the setting.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

Better yet bro lets get REAL at it all struts are considered "coilovers" because the spring is part of the assembly unlike older conventional suspension where spring and shock were mounted seperately.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM

Better yet bro lets get REAL at it all struts are considered "coilovers" because the spring is part of the assembly unlike older conventional suspension where spring and shock were mounted seperately.
ding ding ding
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Banned

ding ding ding
Had to go oldschool and show my age
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM

Who said maxima

Well this is a maxima forum.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Banned

Well this is a maxima forum.
And your point is?its still a Nissan and it came factory with them so you got issues now?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM

OEM shocks and struts are not coil-overs. Thats my point
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

OEM shocks and struts are not coil-overs. Thats my point
Define coilover! Lets get it on cause you bout to loose with your first answer

Quick Reply: Tein ss coilovers suck!! Do not buy them