5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Starter = Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Starter = Car Won't Start

Hello. I posted a similar thread to the "I'm new here" thread, but I'm looking for more opinions. I changed the starter in my 2001 GLE. The new one works fine. Upon first start upon changing starter, no spark went to plugs. The starter did it's job, i.e. turned, but there is no spark. Checked the plugs using a DC Meter, and there was no current going to plugs. Took out an actual spark plug and upon cranking, there was no visible spark coming from plugs. The new starter works just fine, it turns the motor, in case anyone was wondering, but there is absolutely no spark. This never happened before. All I did was change the starter. I touched nothing else in the process. Everything is hooked up fine just as it was before I touched it. Even sprayed started fluid in the intake and no start. Checked all fuses and hoses and connections. Everything seems to be intact. I've never had this issue before, so I'm wondering if something happened in the process of changing the starter. This assures me that there is no spark. This car is my only source of transportation, so if anyone can help me out ASAP, it would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 AM

First off what was the reason for changing the starter? Was it just no crank before?

Also is your check engine light on?

A no spark condition sounds like your crank sensor is dead. When it's dead the ecu will never get the signal from it to send its signal to the ignition coils thus giving no spark.

There's 2 crank sensor on the motor but the one to take a look at is under the crank shaft pulley it takes minutes to get to and pull out. It also doesn't hurt to clean it since its magnetic and attracts alot of crud.

But i really need to know the reason for replacing the starter in the first place since there not alot you can hit or break or disconnect to cause a no spark after only replacing the starter.

Last edited by vq30nismo; 04-15-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by vq30nismo
First off what was the reason for changing the starter? Was it just no crank before?

Also is your check engine light on?

A no spark condition sounds like your crank sensor is dead. When it's dead the ecu will never get the signal from it send its signal to the ignition coils thus giving no spark.

There's 2 crank sensor on the motor but the one to take a look at is under the crank shaft pulley it takes minutes to get yo and pull out. It also doesn't hurt to clean it.
The reason I changed the starter was that the old one was on its way out. For about 2 weeks now, the car would sometimes stutter start, and I'd have to give the key a few turns to get it going. Battery is dated 2/11, and all electronics work fine. Got stuck at a gas station Friday after filling up. Car wouldn't crank whatsoever. Tapped the starter and it worked. The starter was obviously dying and so I replaced it.
You're right about the crank sensors. I will have to change them. My mechanic is about to tow the car and replace both of the crank sensors since it needs to be lifted to get to them.
My check engine light is, has, and was always on since I purchased he vehicle. When I checked the computer a while back, it kept relaying codes regarding O2 sensors and the gas cap. I changed one O2 sensor and replaced the gas cap, but apparently it didn't solve the problem. It could be one of the three other O2 sensors about the car. I noticed at low speeds, since I could hear more clearly, that the car makes a whining noise, like a faulty sensor somewhere, usually prominent after turning the car off. However, I have no idea what that is and suspect it to be another problem. BTW, I've had the car for just under two years now.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Well it definatly sounds like a crank sensor the timing of it being at the same time it needed a starter is alittle odd but it happens.

As for codes if you ever get time again to have them checked post the codes so we can help you.

As you said there is 4 O2 sensor on the car and when one goes out the other one in the same bank seems to also go bad around the same time so it might just need 1 more o2 sensor.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Very true. Thank you for your help VQ. I'm looking for the sensors in my driveway right now - maybe a little dusting will get them to work. It is really unusual however that it would go bad the same time the starter dies. Hopefully just a coincidence. I actually got a computer to read the codes, but since the battery was disconnected in order to replace starter, the memory bank was wiped of temporary storage like the trip counter and the clock and audio system. After I replace the crank sensors, I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again!

-Omar
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Omar522
Very true. Thank you for your help VQ. I'm looking for the sensors in my driveway right now - maybe a little dusting will get them to work. It is really unusual however that it would go bad the same time the starter dies. Hopefully just a coincidence. I actually got a computer to read the codes, but since the battery was disconnected in order to replace starter, the memory bank was wiped of temporary storage like the trip counter and the clock and audio system. After I replace the crank sensors, I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again!

-Omar
The easiest way to see the crank sensor is to turn the wheel all the way to the right while its on the ground and remove the plastic splash shield and behind it will be the crankshaft pulley and crank sensor in full view.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM

Cam sensor
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello. Got the car fixed. Turned out to be the cam sensor as you both told me. Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated!