5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Major Tune Up - 2002 SE - What to do first?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Major Tune Up - 2002 SE - What to do first?

Hello,

My car (a 2002 SE) is about 165K and I need some help in prioritizing which my repair strategy. So far, the major issues are:

Busted/Leaking Radiator + Hoses: I plan to order the TYC Radiator from RockAuto as well as accompanying hoses. I hear there is a GD here and I've sent a message to ImportPrts, but I am not sure if the Koyo radiator on Rockauto is the same as the one from ImportPrts - give the price difference. Is it? And what is the general opinion on those from RockAuto. Or should I shoot for the all metal CSF radiator here: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/basket.php?

-- I will also do a coolant flash, once the new radiator goes in.

Valve Cover Leaks: My mechanic did inform me that the valve cover has been leaking - I can't remember whether it is the front or the rear, but I thought I should replace both. Given comments and recommendations here, the consensus seems to go for the 6thGen (2006) ones, and get both 2006 covers and gaskets. Are these the correct ones:

-- 2006 Valve Cover Front: http://www.courtesyparts.com/13264-c...4-p-88187.html
-- 2006 Gasket Front : http://www.courtesyparts.com/13270-g...l-p-88192.html

And how about the rear covers+gaskets?

Spark Plugs: I have the NGK Iridiums - they will get changed with the valve cover replacement, as well as minor items such as the air filter.

Exhaust Leak-#1:. These have been a major problem. My flex pipe is broken. I hear this can be fixed easily either with a replacement Y-Pipe or repaired. Which is the cheaper way to go - in terms of parts?

Exhaust Leak - #2: Two bolts attached to the cat. convertor or the intake manifold are broken, thus loosening the seals and causing a bit of a leak upwards in the engine. My mechanic says it would be a major job to fix - in terms of the labor involved, given their location. I am not sure if it is worth fixing it - have been leaving with it for the past two years.

Engine Mounts: Front (Passenger side) and rear (bottom right?) motor mounts busted. I intend to get the $100 set from Ebay and have an org member fix it for me.

I would appreciate some thoughts on which to tackle first. Bear in mind, I am unable to do any of these because of restrictions (location, parts-wise), hence I would have to depend on mechanic or another org member to help.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and assistance .... Noela

Last edited by Noela; 04-21-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 AM

If you can change your oil, You can change your radiator and hoses. It's incredibly easy in these cars.

Take the two bolts off the rad. Top mount.

Unbolt the fans but do not disconnect and slide out of the way

Take clamps off hoses

Slide out rad

Replace hoses w new ones.

Slide in new rad,hook up hoses

Bolt back up and fill

You can do it! If your in ct I can help.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Repair strategy should follow the path that prioritizes those problems which would keep you from driving the car or driving it safely.

1. Coolant hoses. If they rupture, they can spill coolant onto electrical components. If they are leaking and you lose coolant or have a sudden loss after a break, then you risk overheating the engine and being stranded.

2. Exhaust Flex: This increases noise, and although you didn't mention it, it could allow exhaust to enter the cabin of the car....if not now, then when it gets worse...and it will. You should be able to have a muffler shop weld a new flex section in for less than $80 depending on the shop. I'm guessing about $40 for the flex and $40 for labor/welds.

3. You should do (as you've mentioned) the plugs with the rear valve cover. Seems like you know which one to buy. Also, this would be a great opportunity to inspect your intake to see where that leak is. I imagine it is NOT in the intake, but in case it is, then now that is something else that can be marked off the list of problem areas. If you have the money, this is the BEST opportunity to install a phenolic spacer kit.

4. Address any other exhaust leaks. I wasn't clear in your initial post if maybe there was another possible source.

5. Replace the motor mounts.

Now, these would be my priorities. However, if you are trying to save up for one of the bigger repairs, then go ahead and get some replacement mounts from ebay and do those yourself. Other than the coolant hose, you could really do these in any order as you indicate nothing as being a huge issue or keeping you from driving the car.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bump ... please need more !!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

What "more" do you need?