5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I think a Y-pipe will fit a 2002 max!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 09:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think a Y-pipe will fit a 2002 max!!

All this time I was under the assumtion it would not fit because of a pic I saw of the 02's exhaust., That pic did not tell the whole story though . After closer examination a Y-Pipe will indeed work. Heres how the 02's exhaust works: You start out with two small headers{AKA exhaust manifolds}, then the manifolds bolt onto{3 bolts} the precats, then the pre-cats bolt onto what is left of the Y-Pipe{basicaly a straight pipe}. Every one here who has disscused the possibility of a Y-Pipe was under the assumtion the pre-cats and manifolds were one piece, well there not, they just bolt onto each other! So if you just un-bolt the precats you can put a Y-Pipe on it, infact a regualar Y-Pipe may very well fit!{or damn close to it}. The problem with the sensor's tripping the computer is still there though, you will have to mount the sensors in the main cat or buy the sensors that make the computer think everything is working all right.

So who want's a Y-Pipe! I will have to talk to Mr. Catts about this.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I think a Y-pipe will fit a 2002 max!!

Originally posted by emax95
All this time I was under the assumtion it would not fit because of a pic I saw of the 02's exhaust., That pic did not tell the whole story though . After closer examination a Y-Pipe will indeed work. Heres how the 02's exhaust works: You start out with two small headers{AKA exhaust manifolds}, then the manifolds bolt onto{3 bolts} the precats, then the pre-cats bolt onto what is left of the Y-Pipe{basicaly a straight pipe}. Every one here who has disscused the possibility of a Y-Pipe was under the assumtion the pre-cats and manifolds were one piece, well there not, they just bolt onto each other! So if you just un-bolt the precats you can put a Y-Pipe on it, infact a regualar Y-Pipe may very well fit!{or damn close to it}. The problem with the sensor's tripping the computer is still there though, you will have to mount the sensors in the main cat or buy the sensors that make the computer think everything is working all right.

So who want's a Y-Pipe! I will have to talk to Mr. Catts about this.
try it and see if it works...but even the y-pipe itself looked alot different from 00-01...
Old 01-13-2002, 09:28 PM

pass the word along to dmb. is steve his name? someone needs to get on this.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Newman96SE
pass the word along to dmb. is steve his name? someone needs to get on this.
Steve will stumbling accross this thread any minute .

Irvine, yes the pipes that a Y-pipe would replace do look different{they are}, however, a Y-Pipe should bolt onto the manifolds just like any other Y-Pipe whould. It's not whats in between that counts.
From the pics in my manual any old fed spec Y-Pipe should fit as long as the 2002 mainifolds are the same as the 95-2000 Fed spec.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:35 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i will get on this as soon as i find a exhuast shop with a mandrel bender. i haven't found one yet around me grrrrr. i think it will be easier to remount the sensors though, BUT that would also mean custom catback work. darn, your gonna hve to buy my b-ppipe and y-pipe as a combo
Old 01-13-2002, 09:36 PM

Is there any way I can post a pic from my ESM? I can't figure out a way to save a pic and then put it on the net?
Old 01-13-2002, 09:38 PM

Is there any way I can post a pic from my ESM? I can't figure out a way to save a pic and then put it on the net?
print screen then paste it in a photo program cut and save it at a lower resolution to save space. i'll host it.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
i will get on this as soon as i find a exhuast shop with a mandrel bender. i haven't found one yet around me grrrrr. i think it will be easier to remount the sensors though, BUT that would also mean custom catback work. darn, your gonna hve to buy my b-ppipe and y-pipe as a combo

I think any stillen, cattman, WPS fed spec pipe will fit. If that's the case you will have some real steep competition . Go to the engine removel section in your ECM and check out the pic of the pre-cat bolting onto the manifolds.

Before someone asks "why does stillen say it won't fit". It's because it won't work, it's not that it won't fit{although it may not fit, I'm not 100% sure yet}. It will not work becuase you have to fool the o2 sensors. A big company like stillen is not going to tell you to cut apart your cat or buy fake o2's. I know cattman has not had a 2002 to even look at yet and the same probably goes for Warpspeed.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:48 PM

I think any stillen, cattman, WPS fed spec pipe will fit. If that's the case you will have some real steep competition . Go to the engine removel section in your ECM and check out the pic of the pre-cat bolting onto the manifolds.

Before someone asks "why does stillen say it won't fit". It's because it won't work, it's not that it won't fit{although it may not fit, I'm not 100% sure yet}. It will not work becuase you have to fool the o2 sensors. A big company like stillen is not going to tell you to cut apart your cat or buy fake o2's. I know cattman has not had a 2002 to even look at yet and the same probably goes for Warpspeed.
Stillen should come out with their y-pipe if they're thinking about making one(since they got their 02 back in August)..
did someone call Stillen and ask about the y-pipe availability yet?
Old 01-13-2002, 09:48 PM
PhatGuy

This is amazing news! It will be interesting to see how the Altima, Z, and G35 manifolds/precats look. This could very well be the key to an instant 25HP! With the frankencar intake, custom y-pipe, and catback there is going to be some close to 300HP NA Maximas soon!

Old 01-13-2002, 09:49 PM

why not use a cali spec pipe and see what happens. the other cali models dont need o2 sensor foolers. maybe it won't trigger a CEL. maybe just get bad reading till the main cat heats up i have to look at the setup on other maximas.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:54 PM

print screen then paste it in a photo program cut and save it at a lower resolution to save space. i'll host it.
Go to EM-10 in your ECM and do it up! I don't have a printer on my computer so it does some wacky thing when I try to go to "print page".

On further inspection the rear bank may be set up the same as the cali spec 5th Y-pipe. This means the 2002's will be only able to use a cali-spec Y-Pipem which is still preety good. If Steve can get that page up for us we can all take a good look at it.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:57 PM
It's chrome alright...

I'm dumb - what is a y-pipe and how will it add 25hp?

Originally posted by PhatGuy
This is amazing news! It will be interesting to see how the Altima, Z, and G35 manifolds. This could very well be the key to an instant 25HP! With the frankencar intake, custom y-pipe, and catback there is going to be some close to 300HP NA Maximas soon!
Old 01-13-2002, 09:59 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
I'm dumb - what is a y-pipe and how will it add 25hp?

Free flow baby! Free flow! No precats! 25HP is just a guess. An intake will be necessary to get the most out of it!

Old 01-13-2002, 11:49 PM

looking under my car i also agree it will fit!!!! too bad i sold it before i found out!!! DAMN!!!! oh well messing with exhuat work gets painful after awhile ESP custom stuff
Old 01-14-2002, 04:46 AM

Go to EM-10 in your ECM and do it up! I don't have a printer on my computer so it does some wacky thing when I try to go to "print page".

On further inspection the rear bank may be set up the same as the cali spec 5th Y-pipe. This means the 2002's will be only able to use a cali-spec Y-Pipem which is still preety good. If Steve can get that page up for us we can all take a good look at it.
all right, all right here http://www.frankencar.com/product_i/...e/manifold.jpg

franken-y
Old 01-14-2002, 04:53 AM

franken-y
after studying it for the past 10 minutes it looks like we might only have to move 1 o2 sensor if we do the cali spec way which is what i think. i'm having trouble getting a diagram of all 4 o2 sensor. i'll have to jack my car up and look tonight.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:44 AM

after studying it for the past 10 minutes it looks like we might only have to move 1 o2 sensor if we do the cali spec way which is what i think. i'm having trouble getting a diagram of all 4 o2 sensor. i'll have to jack my car up and look tonight.
Very good
Old 01-14-2002, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the diagram on the manifolds DMB. I was going to comment on the 4 bolt on the front and 5 on the back flanges. I don't believe any 2k1's will work due to the length/flange combo...maybe with mods. Stillen and other big co.s seem unmotivated b'cause 2k2 is only one year b4 the new model. Someone like myself, DMB, Warpspeed, etc. will be the first...IMO.

As I have mentioned in previous threads, we are working on a pipe now and are working out the sensor issues. I will let you know when I have performance RESULTS, not just a pipe to look at! Besides, the first one will be f-ulgy.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:11 AM

Looking at the diagram I'd be willing to bet that you could use a 2K1 Cali spec Y-pipe by removing the rear precat. I wouldn't be surprised if the y pipe was the exact length to meet right up to the rear manifold - all youd have to figure out is some way to secure a three bolt flange on the Y to the four bolt flange on the rear manifold. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the holes even lined up.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:57 AM
Keven97SE

I think you guys are incorrect in your assumptions on y-pipe power gains on a 2002. To give you some history on aftermarket y-pipes, the whole thing got started when 4th gen owners started looking at their exhaust systems in detail. The stock 4th gen y-pipes (as well as 2000/2001's) had a terrible union of the front and rear downpipe sections. The pipes converged in a manner that was very restrictive. It was beyond like a 90-degree or "T" convergence, only worse. The rear downpipe literally flowed INTO the front downpipe, slamming the two exhaust streams into each other. The aftermarket ypipe was intended to provide a far better convergence. The fact that the pre-cats were removed due to money and space limitations, not because of additional power gains. The rear downpipe pre-cat simply could not be installed on an aftermarket y-pipe without some flow restrictive, creative plumbing solutions. Plus, the additional cost of two pre-cats in an aftermarket y-pipe would be prohibitively expensive for most people. THAT'S WHY the pre-cats are not found on aftermarket y-pipes.

On the 2002, there's a really good convergence section. That "T" section has been replaced with a true "Y" JUST LIKE THE AFTERMARKET Y-PIPES. You guys can remove your OEM Y-PIPE with an aftermarket one, but you will see very little gain. If the aftermarket ypipe removes the pre-cats, yeah I could see a couple HP gain, but if the aftermarket y-pipe keeps the precats and simply is a replacement for the convergence section downstream of the precats, I'd expect a whopping ZERO HP GAIN.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Old 01-15-2002, 08:09 AM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Originally posted by Keven97SE
I think you guys are incorrect in your assumptions on y-pipe power gains on a 2002. To give you some history on aftermarket y-pipes, the whole thing got started when 4th gen owners started looking at their exhaust systems in detail. The stock 4th gen y-pipes (as well as 2000/2001's) had a terrible union of the front and rear downpipe sections. The pipes converged in a manner that was very restrictive. It was beyond like a 90-degree or "T" convergence, only worse. The rear downpipe literally flowed INTO the front downpipe, slamming the two exhaust streams into each other. The aftermarket ypipe was intended to provide a far better convergence. The fact that the pre-cats were removed due to money and space limitations, not because of additional power gains. The rear downpipe pre-cat simply could not be installed on an aftermarket y-pipe without some flow restrictive, creative plumbing solutions. Plus, the additional cost of two pre-cats in an aftermarket y-pipe would be prohibitively expensive for most people. THAT'S WHY the pre-cats are not found on aftermarket y-pipes.

On the 2002, there's a really good convergence section. That "T" section has been replaced with a true "Y" JUST LIKE THE AFTERMARKET Y-PIPES. You guys can remove your OEM Y-PIPE with an aftermarket one, but you will see very little gain. If the aftermarket ypipe removes the pre-cats, yeah I could see a couple HP gain, but if the aftermarket y-pipe keeps the precats and simply is a replacement for the convergence section downstream of the precats, I'd expect a whopping ZERO HP GAIN.

Well put. I concur with your assessment and was actually going to basically say the same thing.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Keven97SE

You may be correct. However, while the 2k2 pipe is much better than previous years, it is still a mass produced pipe and lacks the hand made benefits. If you look closely at the pipe under the car where the rear precat connects to the stock "y" section, you'll notice some restrictive intersections and bends near the 180 section (although something to be said for equal length). Like you, I am not 100% convinced an aftermarket ypipe will produce significant gains, but I want to find out myself.

I thought someone on the Org had a custom y on his 2k2. Find him and ask. I would be curious as well.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:18 PM

Because the 2002 Maxima is supposively more efficient, perhaps the Y pipe will only yield 5 hp vs the 20hp that the pre-2002 Y Pipe+Intake would make? So, with the pipe and some great intake, may be we can see 12-15 hp increase, with 2-5hp coming from the pipe?

Now the decision is whether that is worth $600?!
Old 01-15-2002, 02:13 PM

i have dyno numbers from before and i am ready to go again. i just need to get one made and i'm there. we'll find out. i think it will still yield good gains.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:58 PM

i have dyno numbers from before and i am ready to go again. i just need to get one made and i'm there. we'll find out. i think it will still yield good gains.
How much does NE Dyno charge?
Old 01-15-2002, 04:41 PM

After looking at the stock Y pipe diagram I guess we need to find a 2002, (time to look through the rental car fleets again), we've been looking for a 2002 Maxima and an Altima to do Y pipes and sub frames on. If you are in our area just give a call, we already have the flanges made up for the Cali spec.

Looks like we'll be doing the 2000 FED Friday and a 2001 next week. We also plan to do the B pipe right away as well. Also doing the stage 2 sfc to a 2000 and a 2001. (also doing sfc's for an Accord tomorrow) shhh.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 01-15-2002, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by ru4real

How much does NE Dyno charge?
100 an hour and they fill NOS
Old 10-05-2002, 09:36 AM

I hate to bring on old thread like this back to life - but was the final conclusion that the 2000-20001 y-pipe will fit, and the only issue would be moving the o2 sensors and shortening the length of pipe that would have bypassed the precats?
Old 10-05-2002, 10:28 AM

I sold my Y off my 99 also .

With a good B w/muffler mod like Larry, the guy who tested the new WarpSpeed Y&B pipes did, this sould be 25hp np.

Since the pre's are just bolt in headers should be pretty easy to make. Along with either hi-flow pre's, who's gonna make'em?, or an easy way to fool the ECU. With 2-1/2" pipe this could be a 35-45+hp gain.

The o2's plug in the front of the engine to the right of the oil dip stick correct? Couldn't we just make a new conncetor that loops the correct voltage to the ECU? No wires or anything just remove the o2's and plug in the new connectors and go. What do you guys think?
Old 10-05-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by MaxSE2k
I hate to bring on old thread like this back to life - but was the final conclusion that the 2000-20001 y-pipe will fit, and the only issue would be moving the o2 sensors and shortening the length of pipe that would have bypassed the precats?
yes you could cut a 2k cali spec pipe and make it fit.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:40 AM

Yes Keven97SE & 2K2DEMAX you guys are right. The 02 Max has a much better Y Design and I have been saying that since I got the car in May. With a new pipe we'll only see a 5-10hp gain.
F the CalSpec and go with FedSpec. Remove both Precats put in Headers get a Hi-Flow main cat and run 2-1/2" pipe from the manifolds to the muffler and we will see some real gains for sure. Now we just need to get it done!
Old 10-05-2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

franken-y
Steve this link isn't working.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777

Steve this link isn't working.
It's 10 months old... don't expect it to.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by MaxSE2k

It's 10 months old... don't expect it to.

lol
Old 10-05-2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

lol
How is your y-pipe coming? What mods do you have exactly to achieve 221hp -ish?
Old 10-05-2002, 11:55 AM

All the dates were showing today till I restarted my sys.
LoL
Old 10-05-2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by maximaman777
Yes Keven97SE & 2K2DEMAX you guys are right. The 02 Max has a much better Y Design and I have been saying that since I got the car in May. With a new pipe we'll only see a 5-10hp gain.
F the CalSpec and go with FedSpec. Remove both Precats put in Headers get a Hi-Flow main cat and run 2-1/2" pipe from the manifolds to the muffler and we will see some real gains for sure. Now we just need to get it done!

Dude why are you sharing your gut feelings here when I allready have hard data on this stuff? Your 5-10 HP idea is out, try 25 FWHP and 15 FWHP peak with the Y-pipe. These gains where seen with my VIM not working properly too.

MaxSE2k, the final conclusion is that you need to get a 95-00 fed-spec maxima rear exhaust manifold and install it(EGR valve need's to be welded shut), then you just put on a stillen cali Y-pipe. The sensors go right into place with a little tugging.

If you guys want to see the pics and learn more about this try doing a search. I posted dyno results and install info..