5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Purchased 2000 Maxima GXE on 7/25..Need info regarding parts and service please..thx

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Purchased 2000 Maxima GXE on 7/25..Need info regarding parts and service please..thx

Hello..I am new here..just purchased a 2000 Maxima GXE on yesterday and if possible I really need some help in servicing my vehicle. I purchased it on EBAY from a local dealer. It is in good condition with minor pain chippings here and there, 200k miles, with inspection, purchase price $1500. I don't want to put a lot of money into the car because I am a nursing student and funds are limited. Can anyone suggest a way to cover the paint chipping without having the entire car painted and also I would like to have the brakes replaced, any suggestions for online purchase?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 PM

ROCKAUTO.com for parts cheaper than autozone, or your local auto parts... Also if on a budget forget the paint chipping just worry about the car running right , No sense in a car looking mint with a bad motor or just mechanical problems
Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM

200k miles, almost 14 yrs old....and you are worried abt the paint chips!!!!
treat them as the history of the car....like war stories.
only spend money on things you absolutely need down the line, like spark plugs (only ngk),
good oil and filter, tires and so on.
Purchase centric rotors and posiquiet pads. Shop around for the best deals off the inet.
Check the oil level every week for couple of oil changes and monitor how much oil you are losing.
like every 500 mile, 1000 mile and so on. So many bad things can happen if you run without oil. and some of us have pretty bad oil burning issues with the car.
do not worry too much on the cosmetics. It will never look like the sparkling cars next to you in the parking lot....but it is a mighty good car for sure!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by kingofny1997
ROCKAUTO.com for parts cheaper than autozone, or your local auto parts... Also if on a budget forget the paint chipping just worry about the car running right , No sense in a car looking mint with a bad motor or just mechanical problems
i agree rockauto can be cheaper, but also think about the shipping costs. In my case, many times, advanced auto with their secretive online codes worked cheaper than rockauto
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kingofny1997

Thanks for the reply..I guess I was thinking that the paint chipping may spread and I needed to cover it. I had the car re-inspected on this morning and found that the alignment is off and I need to have the R/F Hub Bearing replaced..the dealer is not offering to fix so I'm looking for Ebay to reimburse the amount since it should've been picked up with inspection.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by joshmachine
200k miles, almost 14 yrs old....and you are worried abt the paint chips!!!!
treat them as the history of the car....like war stories.
only spend money on things you absolutely need down the line, like spark plugs (only ngk),
good oil and filter, tires and so on.
Purchase centric rotors and posiquiet pads. Shop around for the best deals off the inet.
Check the oil level every week for couple of oil changes and monitor how much oil you are losing.
like every 500 mile, 1000 mile and so on. So many bad things can happen if you run without oil. and some of us have pretty bad oil burning issues with the car.
do not worry too much on the cosmetics. It will never look like the sparkling cars next to you in the parking lot....but it is a mighty good car for sure!!!
Thanks for the info..I've had in re-inspected and will have another oil change and fluids replaced on tmr..what else should I do right now, someone at Autozone told me I needed to have the entire system flushed but I'm iffy about that
Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 PM

My advice is leave the paint alone. Fix any issues you have and do a full tune up. Oil change, air filter, pcv valve, spark plugs, etc. Those things are very cheap and easy to replace.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tosheto
My advice is leave the paint alone. Fix any issues you have and do a full tune up. Oil change, air filter, pcv valve, spark plugs, etc. Those things are very cheap and easy to replace.
Thanks for the info..will look into having those things done today.