5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test-pipe installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 08:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Test-pipe installed

Just got it and installed it. Took about 45mins due to the fact that the damn stock cat is a biach to get off because of the permanent thread bolts. They stick out about 1.5" on each side and required me to freagin pull the back of the exhaust that much to get it off.

Then got the new testpipe on with no problems, used the stock gaskets, installed it. Drove it, nice gain, and happy with it.

http://bigdogjonx.gixxer.com/testpipe.html

There is a picture of what it looks like. Very simple since 2001 has no O2 sensor needed on the Testpipe.

The gains are pretty much throughout the rpm band, i mean it feels like less strain on the engine which allows it to rev up quicker, like my udp install. Since there is very little back pressure.

Just cant wait to get the Ypipe and install that, and get the custom Bpipe.

Lastly, who knows where I can get a long Azz resonator, like a 36" one. I want to drone out as much of the muffler noise as possible, after I get the Ypipe and Bpipe.

Dixit
Old 01-16-2002, 08:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Resonators you can get em at any exhaust place like Mufflerman or the like. You might want to consider getting exhaust wrap also to quieten the drone some more.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by mechanic
Resonators you can get em at any exhaust place like Mufflerman or the like. You might want to consider getting exhaust wrap also to quieten the drone some more.
How does the wrap help the noise or air flow inside the pipe? Sorry if i sound stupid, but just need to know?

I mean it is sort of loud right now at all levels. I drive this car on long trips every month, dont know if I can take it all the time.

Dixit
Old 01-16-2002, 09:08 PM
It's chrome alright...

silly question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BigDogJonx
[B]Just got it and installed it

is it legal to remove the CAT? I know it's a silly question, but I thought it was... or is it in some places but not others? I know it won't stop anyone... just curious.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:33 PM

Re: silly question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
[B]
Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Just got it and installed it

is it legal to remove the CAT? I know it's a silly question, but I thought it was... or is it in some places but not others? I know it won't stop anyone... just curious.
It is considered a Fedral Law. So it is Illegal anywhere in the US. But only certain states enforce it by doing emmisions. Alabama does not do emmisions yet alone state inspections.

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 05:39 AM
Got Bent?

did you call that exhaust shop up regarding the custom b-pipe?
Old 01-17-2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
did you call that exhaust shop up regarding the custom b-pipe?
Not yet, I am still figuring out what to do with the resonator, I need to get a custom 36" one from somewhere, I want to done out the sound as much as possible since I will be getting the Ypipe very soon.

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Got Bent?

Not yet, I am still figuring out what to do with the resonator, I need to get a custom 36" one from somewhere, I want to done out the sound as much as possible since I will be getting the Ypipe very soon.

Dixit
ask that shop about one.... they should be able to do it.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:42 PM

ask that shop about one.... they should be able to do it.
Just got back from the shop, talked to Chang. He was cool, He said about $200 to make one. But he said that that there are two 90degree turns and with his mandrel bend machine, the bend is still going to come out somewhat flat. But to a point where they might be a 15% bottleneck in the bend.

I asked about a resonator that long, he did not have one. He said really I dont need one, he said since I already got the Straight Pipe, the Ypipe is not going to make it too much louder.

The only problem still remains, is if I want to use the stock resonator, there are two major crimps right before the resonator and after the resonator that we within 1-2"s of the resonator. This is going to make it very hard to get a new 2.5" pipe on it. Secondly, it seems as if the stock resonator and the pipe attached to it is only like 2".

This is going to turn into a larger project that I expected.

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 03:03 PM

Most states do emmisions. I live in NJ and I know we do it here.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by zman187
Most states do emmisions. I live in NJ and I know we do it here.
Guess what, Alabama dont. Guess whatelse, Alabama dont even do State Inspections on your car. Aint that something? I never even heard of a state that dont even do annual or even one time state inspections.

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 03:31 PM

Guess what, Alabama dont. Guess whatelse, Alabama dont even do State Inspections on your car. Aint that something? I never even heard of a state that dont even do annual or even one time state inspections.

Dixit
Lucky you!
Old 01-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Got Bent?

Just got back from the shop, talked to Chang. He was cool, He said about $200 to make one. But he said that that there are two 90degree turns and with his mandrel bend machine, the bend is still going to come out somewhat flat. But to a point where they might be a 15% bottleneck in the bend.

I asked about a resonator that long, he did not have one. He said really I dont need one, he said since I already got the Straight Pipe, the Ypipe is not going to make it too much louder.

The only problem still remains, is if I want to use the stock resonator, there are two major crimps right before the resonator and after the resonator that we within 1-2"s of the resonator. This is going to make it very hard to get a new 2.5" pipe on it. Secondly, it seems as if the stock resonator and the pipe attached to it is only like 2".

This is going to turn into a larger project that I expected.

Dixit
hmmm... do they have smaller resonators available? I am pretty sure that it is going to get loud with a y-pipe and full exhaust.... maybe you can look for a resonator on your own and then bring it to them. I know they do good exhaust work and they are pretty reasonable...
Old 01-17-2002, 05:02 PM

hmmm... do they have smaller resonators available? I am pretty sure that it is going to get loud with a y-pipe and full exhaust.... maybe you can look for a resonator on your own and then bring it to them. I know they do good exhaust work and they are pretty reasonable...
What about the problem with the mandrel bend question, he said I will still have about a 15% bottleneck there. He said the bend is going to be sort of FLAT. I dont think it is going to affect it a great deal at all.

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Got Bent?

What about the problem with the mandrel bend question, he said I will still have about a 15% bottleneck there. He said the bend is going to be sort of FLAT. I dont think it is going to affect it a great deal at all.

Dixit
it would still be better than the crimps that are in the stock b-pipe... you probably can't get the diamter perfect over a 90 deg bend anyways.... or, you can wait and see what Cattman releases soon.... from what I hear, there is a b-pipe in the works for the 5th gen.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:14 PM

it would still be better than the crimps that are in the stock b-pipe... you probably can't get the diamter perfect over a 90 deg bend anyways.... or, you can wait and see what Cattman releases soon.... from what I hear, there is a b-pipe in the works for the 5th gen.
Yeah Alex (IceY2K1) told me and I saw the thread. I mean if it is at a good price, I will buy it. I dont believe in paying these outrageous $550+ for a Greddy. Just dont know, maybe I am cheap. Then again I am Desi too. Hahahhah

Well, I will probably put that off until someone releases one, DAN I think thest of the 5th GEN WORLD is waiting on the release of your Ypipe. I AM DYYYYYYYYYYING for one.

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 07:54 PM

Desi? LOL!!! Being desi means u are a cheapo! Shiet...u shoulda seen my family freak when i brought home my max....anyways, the pipe looks good...what was the cost?
Old 01-17-2002, 08:17 PM

hehehe - test pipe olice:
Old 01-17-2002, 08:38 PM

emisions and inspection.....

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Lucky you!
Im from South carolina....no emissions or inspections here either!
Old 01-18-2002, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by big h
Desi? LOL!!! Being desi means u are a cheapo! Shiet...u shoulda seen my family freak when i brought home my max....anyways, the pipe looks good...what was the cost?

I am selling the pipes in the FS forum. Its cost is $70 shipped. There is a picture in that thread showing how well made it is with two floating header clamps and both ends flanged.

Dixit
Old 01-18-2002, 09:40 AM
maxgsxr1

Re: Test-pipe installed

Just got it and installed it. Took about 45mins due to the fact that the damn stock cat is a biach to get off because of the permanent thread bolts. They stick out about 1.5" on each side and required me to freagin pull the back of the exhaust that much to get it off.

Then got the new testpipe on with no problems, used the stock gaskets, installed it. Drove it, nice gain, and happy with it.

http://bigdogjonx.gixxer.com/testpipe.html

There is a picture of what it looks like. Very simple since 2001 has no O2 sensor needed on the Testpipe.

The gains are pretty much throughout the rpm band, i mean it feels like less strain on the engine which allows it to rev up quicker, like my udp install. Since there is very little back pressure.

Just cant wait to get the Ypipe and install that, and get the custom Bpipe.

Lastly, who knows where I can get a long Azz resonator, like a 36" one. I want to drone out as much of the muffler noise as possible, after I get the Ypipe and Bpipe.

Dixit
so, what your saying is the test pipe gave you the same increase in performance as the udp.......about 10 h.p. maybe? any louder? more pull 100mph on? sorry about all the questions but i'm really considering doing this mod......

Old 01-18-2002, 09:44 AM
PhatGuy

I am selling the pipes in the FS forum. Its cost is $70 shipped. There is a picture in that thread showing how well made it is with two floating header clamps and both ends flanged.

Dixit
I would like to buy one from you. What forms of payment do you accept?
PayPal? Is so PM all details.

Old 01-18-2002, 10:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

I wouldnt do the two(y-pipe and test pipe) 2gether, u lose too much low end. One or the other is best, prolly the y-pipe. You'll be calling the muffler shop in a year to put a cat back on. I have a Y, test, 12" resonator in place of cat, and then a 26" resonator after the test pipe and a turbo muffler, sounds good, quieter than most, but no gains. And I actually just got off with the phone with muffler shop about putting one back on like 3-5 minutes ago. Too much torque loss.

Do what floats your boat, this is just my expirience.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
I wouldnt do the two(y-pipe and test pipe) 2gether, u lose too much low end. One or the other is best, prolly the y-pipe. You'll be calling the muffler shop in a year to put a cat back on. I have a Y, test, 12" resonator in place of cat, and then a 26" resonator after the test pipe and a turbo muffler, sounds good, quieter than most, but no gains. And I actually just got off with the phone with muffler shop about putting one back on like 3-5 minutes ago. Too much torque loss.

Wait wait, not flaming, but just want more info. How is putting the testpipe in combo with the Ypipe gonna lose low end? The I mean think of it as putting a Highflow Cat on it. What is the difference?

I mean right now I got a nice boost off that testpipe. I still have my stock cat, I dont plan on selling it, maybe if you right, I will get the highflow. I will have to see though.

Dixit
Old 01-18-2002, 03:21 PM
PhatGuy

I hope we can get more comments on this from experience. I myself do a lot of highway driving and like opening it up. I'm sure the test pipe will give me more power at 5200+ RPM to redline. If there is loss of low end torque I will just compensate by changing my launch technique.

Old 01-18-2002, 03:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Wait wait, not flaming, but just want more info. How is putting the testpipe in combo with the Ypipe gonna lose low end? The I mean think of it as putting a Highflow Cat on it. What is the difference?

I mean right now I got a nice boost off that testpipe. I still have my stock cat, I dont plan on selling it, maybe if you right, I will get the highflow. I will have to see though.

Dixit
I dunno, obvioisly I though it would gain me a lot more, because I did it. try it out. i didnt say dont do it. i jsut told you what happened to me. I read a post earlier that a guy did a test with an 96 impala, i know, nothing like the max, but he tested it and saw no gains in hp w/o the cat, only a 12 ft/lb loss, and with the cat, obviously a 12 ft/lb gain as compared to cat-less. when i did my cat, it pulled harder than ever, then the y-pipe came and it got loud so i put the resonators on and it got quieted, but the low end wasn/t as great. RT car still holds backpressure, and obviously restricts slightly, and the y-pipe restrics less, so coupled the low end may suffer. look inside a cat, they're ugly and very restricive looking, think about a atr8 pipe, that's letting a lot of restriction go, so on a vq30de-k, you might prosper more catless and y-piped because of its ability to out-do a 4th gen on the hi-end, so plze note, i'm in a 4th gen, so i bet all this reply was a waste becasue i dont have the top end you do....hmm, something to think about.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:27 PM

I dunno, obvioisly I though it would gain me a lot more, because I did it. try it out. i didnt say dont do it. i jsut told you what happened to me. I read a post earlier that a guy did a test with an 96 impala, i know, nothing like the max, but he tested it and saw no gains in hp w/o the cat, only a 12 ft/lb loss, and with the cat, obviously a 12 ft/lb gain as compared to cat-less. when i did my cat, it pulled harder than ever, then the y-pipe came and it got loud so i put the resonators on and it got quieted, but the low end wasn/t as great. RT car still holds backpressure, and obviously restricts slightly, and the y-pipe restrics less, so coupled the low end may suffer. look inside a cat, they're ugly and very restricive looking, think about a atr8 pipe, that's letting a lot of restriction go, so on a vq30de-k, you might prosper more catless and y-piped because of its ability to out-do a 4th gen on the hi-end, so plze note, i'm in a 4th gen, so i bet all this reply was a waste becasue i dont have the top end you do....hmm, something to think about.
Like I said, I wasnt flaming, just wanted some good info. And thank you for it. I will be sure to keep you in touch when I get the Ypipe installed. I will let you know how it feels, though I will most likely have to remove it and reinstall the cat to truly tell the difference.

Dixit
Old 01-18-2002, 03:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Like I said, I wasnt flaming, just wanted some good info. And thank you for it. I will be sure to keep you in touch when I get the Ypipe installed. I will let you know how it feels, though I will most likely have to remove it and reinstall the cat to truly tell the difference.

Dixit
kewl, just trying to help out......hope it works better for you than me, hopefully it will due to you being a 5th gen.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:52 PM

BigDog...how much hp do you think the "test pipe" adds? I would think maybe 2-3, but I could be wrong. I am interesed in this mod in conjunction with a B-pipe. I figure this combo might be worth 5 hp.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
BigDog...how much hp do you think the "test pipe" adds? I would think maybe 2-3, but I could be wrong. I am interesed in this mod in conjunction with a B-pipe. I figure this combo might be worth 5 hp.
Well my butt says it is for sure 5hp. Cause top end just roars now. I even had the sales manager of Rosenthal Nissan (Gaitherburg MD) drive it today, and he said it pulls hard, like his 3.5SE Max that he drives as a demo. So I can then assume I am correct since I might be partial to my car.

I can still get them, the pipes are $70 shipped, the pic is in the FS forum, it has two flanged ends, and two floating header clamps. Which makes it easy to install and remove. Like a 10min job.

Dixit
Old 01-18-2002, 04:03 PM

Well my butt says it is for sure 5hp. Cause top end just roars now. I even had the sales manager of Rosenthal Nissan (Gaitherburg MD) drive it today, and he said it pulls hard, like his 3.5SE Max that he drives as a demo. So I can then assume I am correct since I might be partial to my car.

I can still get them, the pipes are $70 shipped, the pic is in the FS forum, it has two flanged ends, and two floating header clamps. Which makes it easy to install and remove. Like a 10min job.

Dixit
Cool...you still gonna have them for sale in about a month? Have you heard any info on getting B-pipe made. I already have a Y-pipe, but the "test pipe" and b-pipe combo should be a decent gain IMHO.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Cool...you still gonna have them for sale in about a month? Have you heard any info on getting B-pipe made. I already have a Y-pipe, but the "test pipe" and b-pipe combo should be a decent gain IMHO.
Well I got a quote of $200 to custom make a Bpipe mandrel bent at my local muffler shop.

Now if the Cattman is less than that for just the Bpipe, I will just get that.

Dixit
Old 01-18-2002, 07:53 PM
PhatGuy

Well I got a quote of $200 to custom make a Bpipe mandrel bent at my local muffler shop.

Now if the Cattman is less than that for just the Bpipe, I will just get that.

Dixit
200 bucks? Hmmm Seems high to me. I don't think I would pay that much...maybe if it was stainless steel.

Old 01-18-2002, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy

200 bucks? Hmmm Seems high to me. I don't think I would pay that much...maybe if it was stainless steel.
Phatguy, the thing is it is mandrel bent, not a standard muffler shop bend. That is why he can charge that. Secondly aint no one in the area with a mandrel bend machine.

I think it is almost right on. Think about the greddy, it is a catback, and costs $550. Now you and I know the muffler itself aint worth more than $200 tops, that leaves the bpipe with the resonator, I dont think it is worth $300. But they have the market since they one of the only companies doing catbacks. Plus they are the best company. Cattman soon to release their Catback for around $400. But I just want their Bpipe since Cattman said they will sell it separately.

I will be selling these Testpipes even a month from now, As long as my buddy can continue to make them in the shop. Just let me know.

Dixit