5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Soft brake pedal at stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 PM

Soft brake pedal at stop

So I have had this issue for a while. I had it before I did the BBK. My brakes work just fine while driving, but when I come to a stop I am able to press the brake pedal almost to the floor? I just replaced the master cylinder in hopes that it was a master problem... but it still does it.

Anybody have the same issue and what was your fix? My technician thinks it might be a problem in the ABS, but I have no light or codes etc. And yes I am 100% sure I bled my brakes! I have bled them multiple times now with my technician.

I am going to try a set of SS brake lines in hopes it might be brake hose flex???

Thanks for any useful help!
02 6pd with 225K - 6th gen front calipers with stop tech slotted rotors, Hawk HPS, new master, stock rear calipers (not seized) with brembo blanks and hawk HPS. Stock brake lines.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 AM

My car does this too. It honestly might be normal because the brake booster is helping you. Once you turn the car off and try, after a few pumps the pedal should be very difficult to move. That is normal
Old 10-24-2013, 07:24 AM

wait you are ABLE to press it to the floor, or the pedal sinks to the floor? Even in a new system you can push it to the floor when the car is running. If you just mean it sinks to the floor or it gets easy to push to the floor, you might have a leaky seal in the MC
Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Gemner
wait you are ABLE to press it to the floor, or the pedal sinks to the floor? Even in a new system you can push it to the floor when the car is running. If you just mean it sinks to the floor or it gets easy to push to the floor, you might have a leaky seal in the MC
This is the million dollar question.

Also, SS lines do not help much if at all. I have them on my Pathfinder and didn't notice much if a difference at all.

ABS shouldn't be the culprit, I'm assuming if the pedal does hit the floor, you have a leak somewhere.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 AM

It doesn't sink, I can just press it.

Drove around with the new master for a day now. Seems to be better too. It has also improved the brake feel a lot too.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just my car doing it.

Thanks for the input
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM

I had a similar problem. On my 4th gen the brakes would work fine at driving speeds. When I would park, and use the brakes at slow speeds, the pedal would literally sink to the floor.

Turns out bad wheel hubs, and wheel bearings were to blame.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by SSJRICH
It doesn't sink, I can just press it.

Drove around with the new master for a day now. Seems to be better too. It has also improved the brake feel a lot too.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just my car doing it.

Thanks for the input
so its better? Cant tell for sure based on that

Originally Posted by Max139617
I had a similar problem. On my 4th gen the brakes would work fine at driving speeds. When I would park, and use the brakes at slow speeds, the pedal would literally sink to the floor.

Turns out bad wheel hubs, and wheel bearings were to blame.
Im sorry but thats a load of garbage. wheel hubs and bearings have no impact on that. Whats more likely is that the brakes were bled and the bleeder valves properly tightened when the hubs and bearings were replaced, air and leaks in the lines are always more obvious at low speeds
Old 10-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Yeah it is better. Before it was a "soft" press to get it to almost the floor. Now it requires a "harder" press to get it to do it, but it still does it. I am ok with it now. If feels more normal. I am still going to get a set of ss brake lines to eliminate any brake hose flex.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM

i bought my car in feb. 2012 and i felt my brakes sucked. i replaced everything in may 2013 and i have the same exact problem as you are describing. i also did the 6th gen bbk but only because i was already having brake problems and figured this would be a fix/upgrade. i suggest you go reading through the thread i made and i still do not have a solution. my car stops but the pedal sinks low and my braking force is significantly weaker compared to my friends stock brakes. i feel his brakes are two thousand times better even though i spent like $800 on mine.

i have this idea it has something to do with my ABS unit aswell, i have no ABS lights and no abnormal ABS problems but i dont know what else it can be. good luck and please post back on any progress you've made.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-suck-wtf.html
Old 10-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I thought it was a known issue where the ABS unit/seals leak and allow the fluid to bleed back into the master cylinder? I understood it was something like that.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I thought it was a known issue where the ABS unit/seals leak and allow the fluid to bleed back into the master cylinder? I understood it was something like that.
never heard of this, searched around and nothing either.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Hmmm.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 AM

So a little update - Its been a few days now and for whatever reason, its almost gone. The pedal is now "firm" at stop. I can still press it down probably half way, but nothing like before where is was "soft" and easy to press to almost the floor. I am not sure why it took a few days to get that way, but it did.

Changing the master cylinder also has given me back what I think should have been how the brake pedal should have felt before. The old one was original, so I can assume that over 10 years seals etc got weak.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SSJRICH
So a little update - Its been a few days now and for whatever reason, its almost gone. The pedal is now "firm" at stop. I can still press it down probably half way, but nothing like before where is was "soft" and easy to press to almost the floor. I am not sure why it took a few days to get that way, but it did.

Changing the master cylinder also has given me back what I think should have been how the brake pedal should have felt before. The old one was original, so I can assume that over 10 years seals etc got weak.
I suggest you drive someone elses maxima of the same year who has known good brakes just to verify your brakes and pedal is where its supposed to be, because i felt my brakes were getting better after all the work but its just a placebo effect. Once i drove someone elses car i realized how big my problem was.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 AM

I do own 2 maxima's... its auto so the brakes feel slightly different because they are always "loaded" but they feel similar now