5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help with starter problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help with starter problems.

Hi guys,

I am new here. Just bought a 2001 Maxima GLE. It rides awesome. Only problem is some times, it does not start. Its not a battery problem. Coz streo and everything works.

When i put the key in and turn it, I see all lights ON. i.e Brake, ABS, Etc.(like even though the brakes are not engaged) And when this happens, the car does not start.

But on occasions, when all is good, no lights are on, and it behaves normal and turns ON.

Also, all the steering buttons on the left seems to be short. All of them perform only one function, Increase the volume.

It would be really helpful if anyone could help me fix this. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:40 PM

Do you have a spare key if so try using it see if your having the same problem,it mite be the security chip.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:44 PM

Maybe all that carbon dust setting on the starter armature...But that's a sign it's time for another starter!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 PM

When the car does not start, does the engine crank over?

Also the way the car is designed, when you go to start the car and turn the key to the ON position (but not all the way to START) all the warning light will light up as a light bulb check.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 AM

Welcome to the site!

^^ Let us know if the engine cranks over when this happens, more info the better for us to help you...

From what you said it sounds like could be ignition switch/starter solenoid. You can test both. Easiest test is the starter, take metal part of screwdriver and jump starter solenoid (on left) to power connection (under rubber boot, on right) with key in "on" position and see what that does.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
When the car does not start, does the engine crank over?

Also the way the car is designed, when you go to start the car and turn the key to the ON position (but not all the way to START) all the warning light will light up as a light bulb check.
When the key is turned fully ON, the engine does crank but does not start.

Also, Yes, All the warning lights turn on when key is in ON position(but not all the way to START) . I dont know why this happens. I guess the computer is gone wrong or maybe the relays. What do you think
Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CMax03
Maybe all that carbon dust setting on the starter armature...But that's a sign it's time for another starter!
The starter was replaced only a month ago.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by aut432
When the key is turned fully ON, the engine does crank but does not start.

Also, Yes, All the warning lights turn on when key is in ON position(but not all the way to START) . I dont know why this happens. I guess the computer is gone wrong or maybe the relays. What do you think
OK, this is progress. The engine cranking rules out the ignition switch as the problem.

All the warning lights coming on when you turn the key to the ON position is supposed to happen. This is a light bulb test so you know that they work.

It could still be a battery problem. If the battery is not holding a full charge, it may not have enough power to crank the engine fast enough, but your radio will still work just fine.

Is the SES light (check engine) on or off? I hope it is lighting up during the light bulb test.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, this is progress. The engine cranking rules out the ignition switch as the problem.

All the warning lights coming on when you turn the key to the ON position is supposed to happen. This is a light bulb test so you know that they work.

It could still be a battery problem. If the battery is not holding a full charge, it may not have enough power to crank the engine fast enough, but your radio will still work just fine.

Is the SES light (check engine) on or off? I hope it is lighting up during the light bulb test.

The SES also get ON, Every light gets on. I guess which means it goes into light bulb test mode. But the problem i see is it does not come out of light bulb test mode. All the lights stay on. They are supposed to go Off right? And then the engine should crank like normal.

Also, Today I towed it to walmart and they said the battery was good. No issues with that. Not sure what to do next. Can you suggest what should I check for

Last edited by aut432; 11-20-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:12 PM

When the key is turned to the ON position but do not try to start the car, most of the warning lights will stay lit up. I know the overdrive and the ABS lights do go off after a few seconds.

Another possibility is the park/neutral switch. If the car has an automatic transmission, move the shift lever to neutral and try to start the car. Wiggling the lever as you turn the key may help.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When the key is turned to the ON position but do not try to start the car, most of the warning lights will stay lit up. I know the overdrive and the ABS lights do go off after a few seconds.

Another possibility is the park/neutral switch. If the car has an automatic transmission, move the shift lever to neutral and try to start the car. Wiggling the lever as you turn the key may help.
Thanks a lot for help. It was the key. It had gone bad and the car saw it as wrong key trying to start engine for more than 5 times and then it locked the system down. How stupid.