5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

recommendations for 2k2 running light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 12:45 PM

recommendations for 2k2 running light bulbs

What is a good match for the 2k2 hid's? The stock bulbs are really ugly right now. Does anyone have a recommendation? I am going either with bulb or LED. Please recommend the best match.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2002, 01:40 PM

Y2KevSE said that the Raybrigs are a good match. I have the PIAA xtreme whites in there and they are whitish with a tinge of blue. Since they are not bright like the HIDs hue is a little off, but it looks way better than stock.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:33 PM

Re: recommendations for 2k2 running light bulbs

Originally posted by stevechen
What is a good match for the 2k2 hid's? The stock bulbs are really ugly right now. Does anyone have a recommendation? I am going either with bulb or LED. Please recommend the best match.

Thanks
I installed LEDs in mine, (4-cluster, white, 20 degree viewing angle, brightest available.) The color is very similar to the HIDs, maybe a little more blue, but it looks cool. Two problems: First, they aren't very bright at dusk or dawn. Only when it's pitch black are they noticably brighter than the incandescent bulb. Also, they only provide a small spot of light in the center of the lens. Second, the mounting hole is slightly angled toward the outside, so the LEDs point a few degrees up and out. They're blinding when you're standing in the right field of view, otherwise they're just visible. I work for an LED manufacturer, and we just recieved some new white LEDs that are 10 times brighter than the brightest ones currently available. They also have a much wider viewing angle (120 degrees), which should take care of the spottyness. I'm working on getting those installed. They take alot more current than standard LEDs, (150mA vs. 20-30mA) and they're expennnnnnsivvvve. ($6-$8 just for the LED!!!)
Old 01-17-2002, 02:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: recommendations for 2k2 running light bulbs

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS

I installed LEDs in mine, (4-cluster, white, 20 degree viewing angle, brightest available.) The color is very similar to the HIDs, maybe a little more blue, but it looks cool. Two problems: First, they aren't very bright at dusk or dawn. Only when it's pitch black are they noticably brighter than the incandescent bulb. Also, they only provide a small spot of light in the center of the lens. Second, the mounting hole is slightly angled toward the outside, so the LEDs point a few degrees up and out. They're blinding when you're standing in the right field of view, otherwise they're just visible. I work for an LED manufacturer, and we just recieved some new white LEDs that are 10 times brighter than the brightest ones currently available. They also have a much wider viewing angle (120 degrees), which should take care of the spottyness. I'm working on getting those installed. They take alot more current than standard LEDs, (150mA vs. 20-30mA) and they're expennnnnnsivvvve. ($6-$8 just for the LED!!!)
Another problem with them LEDs, I have a similar aftermarket 194 bulb socket with 4small LEDs on it. When one led goes out, for some reason the other three begin to strobe.

I know this because I got pulled over and was almost issues a ticket for $500 for trying to impersonate a law enforcement officer. I had no idea it was strobing.

So I got rid of them.

Polargs are the best in the match. I got the 2k2 HIDs and they match nice for only $10 a pair.

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 02:51 PM

Re: recommendations for 2k2 running light bulbs

Originally posted by stevechen

Thanks
i have PIAA xtreme whites, but they are fairly blue compared to the HIDs. polarG superwhites are a better match.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:13 PM

I had the polarg b1 hybrid lights in mine and liked them, but they were a little more blue than the HID's.

I have recently replaced them with PIAA ion crystal yellows to match the clear front bumper lights. I figured there was no use in trying to match to the HID's when I could get all three (FOGS, PARKING, BUMPER) to match.

If you want to see them, check out my homepage. The lighting is on page 6 (if I remember correctly).