5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suggestions for complete exhaust system 2000 Maxima GLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 PM

Suggestions for complete exhaust system 2000 Maxima GLE

2000 Nissan Maxima GLE v6 automatic with about 145k.

The entire exhaust system is pretty much gone. I imagine the manifolds are probably OK, but that is it.

I'm looking for your opinions on what I should get. I'm looking at the OBX headers right now and I'm curious what people are installing with the OBX headers for cat(s), cat-back, etc...

I'm open to other setups as well including a high performance Y.

I'm hoping to spend around $5-600 for everything minus maybe some odds/ends etc...

I live in ma so emissions are an issue. I don't mind installing the necessary equipment to pass this last year, next year it is emissions exempt. (God I feel old)
Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 PM

I have a similar problem. Very much interested in the advice you'll get .....
Old 04-01-2014, 12:06 AM

I been looking into this. From what ive read the y pipe will give u about 8hp and wont give u to much sound.the headers give u more gain a make it much louder. After the cat ur choice of muffler will give you different sounds. I been looking on youtube for muffler sounds and I found 2 .one is greedy evo Wich gives u more of a roar and the other one is I think Megan wich will give u that little kid just got a car rice burner annoying sound. Im not sure which one of either ypipe or headers will give u a annoying drone sound in the car that's what I wanna figure out. Whatever im wrong on someone correct me cause im on here trying to make this same decision except I want a intake too. Right now il leaning towards catman headers with whatever exhaust I have and gutting the cats.

You also might have issues with the 02 sensors depending if you have a fed or Cali spec. Fed spec u might need 02 Sims. I heard cali spec u can bolt the 02s back on the y pipe but not sure.from whAt I read no matter what mod you do ur gonna run into some problem with the check engine light.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 AM

Ypipe - go warpspeed, way cheaper than Cattman and just as good. Cattman is also hard to find nowadays.

Ypipe eliminates the Bank1 (firewall side) cat and then you can gut the other cat. I have gutted cats and they do give a decent performance upgrade and some nice sound, but not the kind of performance or loudness you get from headers. Keep in mind headers can be a pain, and OBX is known to have fitment issues so it takes some work to install. I chose to avoid headers and instead gut cats>Ypipe>fastcat>2.5" custom cat-back.

The main cat you can do any high-flo cat or Cattman fastcat which can still be found for reasonable price. You can even straight pipe and remove the cat, don't really need it, but then watch out for some strong smelling exhaust fumes. Also, if you care about visual inspection for emissions that can be a problem.

And as for cat-back you can do all kinds of stuff. You can get eBay cat-back for like $150-300 and they are nice, and there are tons of videos on youtube to listen to. If you like Greddy (which are not made anymore for us) the SRS cat-back is a Greddy knockoff on Ebay. Lots of options, just remember your car will sound differently with whatever other mods you do along with the exhaust. You should do a 2.5"-3" exhaust whether it's eBay or do custom.

Lastly, good luck doing all of it for $600 because a quality Ypipe and cat-back alone should be around that much. And don't forget depending on what you do, you may need anti-foulers for your o2 secondaries to clear the CEL.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Ypipe - go warpspeed, way cheaper than Cattman and just as good. Cattman is also hard to find nowadays.

Ypipe eliminates the Bank1 (firewall side) cat and then you can gut the other cat. I have gutted cats and they do give a decent performance upgrade and some nice sound, but not the kind of performance or loudness you get from headers. Keep in mind headers can be a pain, and OBX is known to have fitment issues so it takes some work to install. I chose to avoid headers and instead gut cats>Ypipe>fastcat>2.5" custom cat-back.

The main cat you can do any high-flo cat or Cattman fastcat which can still be found for reasonable price. You can even straight pipe and remove the cat, don't really need it, but then watch out for some strong smelling exhaust fumes. Also, if you care about visual inspection for emissions that can be a problem.

And as for cat-back you can do all kinds of stuff. You can get eBay cat-back for like $150-300 and they are nice, and there are tons of videos on youtube to listen to. If you like Greddy (which are not made anymore for us) the SRS cat-back is a Greddy knockoff on Ebay. Lots of options, just remember your car will sound differently with whatever other mods you do along with the exhaust. You should do a 2.5"-3" exhaust whether it's eBay or do custom.

Lastly, good luck doing all of it for $600 because a quality Ypipe and cat-back alone should be around that much. And don't forget depending on what you do, you may need anti-foulers for your o2 secondaries to clear the CEL.
Does warp speed give you a drone in the cab?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by maximasicilian123
Does warp speed give you a drone in the cab?
Not that I know of. Someone with a Warpspeed Y would have to chime in and confirm. I got Cattman Ypipe first and that was before any other mods so then it didn't drone but now with my full setup there is a bit of drone.

Then again I think any fully modded exhaust will drone to some extent and depending on how you define drone -- to me it's a beautiful sound.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Drone comes from the construction of the resonator and muffler.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell

Not that I know of. Someone with a Warpspeed Y would have to chime in and confirm. I got Cattman Ypipe first and that was before any other mods so then it didn't drone but now with my full setup there is a bit of drone.

Then again I think any fully modded exhaust will drone to some extent and depending on how you define drone -- to me it's a beautiful sound.
Im just worried about getting annoyed with cab noise.And I really dont wanna be heard from a block away. Whats your setup? The headers vs ypipe thread a lot of people complain about warpspeed. I looked on catman site didn't see a ypipe for 5.5

Last edited by maximasicilian123; 04-01-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 PM

Dude, Warpspeed Y Pipe and high flow cat are what I run. After the cat is Walker mid pipe and quiet flow muffler. Sounds a little deeper than stock, but is more powerful and smooth...
Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.

I decided to get the OBX headers $345/delivered, high flow dna cat 38/delivered, and a ss cat-back potato launcher for 128/delivered. Complete for around $514/delivered, excluding any o2 sensors I will need to get. Which brings me to the next question...

If I understand correctly I can purchase one of the dual output o2 sim below and that is all i need? This seems weird because I also read the 2000 Maxima has a sensor that adjusts air/fuel ratio.

http://www.o2simulator.com/universal...put-p-184.html

Do these o2 sims come with something that needs to be installed into the header, or do all bungs get capped leaving the o2 sensor only attached to the wiring harness?