5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Failing Transmittion or MAF sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:18 PM

I will list in a serious of events starting with this morning, but first some back story.

2003 Maxima. Yes it's modified, but nothing excessive, read my mod list below. 145k miles. I bought it at 130k at which point it was stock and driven by an elderly man.

Now for the series of events starting with this morning.

1] I'm on my way to school and I stop at a stop sign, let my foot off the brake and roll away and the car dies. So I say eh whatever and start it back up and it's fine.

2] I'm sitting in the gas station parking lot with the car on AND IN PARK and my speedometer randomly goes crazy and pins itself at 160 and works it's way back up and down the dial, and finally goes back down to zero. I kinda freak out but blow it off.

3] The scary starts. I'm driving from a friends house to the gas station and my car will not rev past 3 grand and I have to floor it to get to accelerate. It's like driving a manual and trying to start from a dig in 6th gear. I began to get worried. It was very sluggish for the whole trip to the station. Then it gave me all the gears back but was still not fully there.

4] I scan the SES light and it's still nothing but my Oxygen sensor bank 2 downstream. Nothing relevant. I panic because I was hoping for a cam position sensor to blame but nothing. Still left in the open.

5] I call Jeff (JeffEous) and Gabe (Latinmax) and they ask me a series of questions like how's your tranny oil level, did you check your MAF sensor, and does it slip when you shift? To each I answer tranny oil fine, no didn't check the MAF sensor, no slipping whatsoever.

5] I'm sitting in the parking lot for about an hour with the car off. I get ready to leave and unplug my MAF sensor and blow on it, then put it back in. I leave, expecting hesitation from a stop and none at all. I continue driving and it's perfectly fine. I drove for 25 minutes all over the RPM band and not one issue at all. No stalling out, no Speedometer fluctuation, no hesitation.

6] I am still very hesitant to accept that my MAF was the cause because I don't want to not worry and have my tranny go in a week and I haven't prepared for it.

You old schoolers, you OGs on the Org, master techs, give me your break down on the situation and let me know what to be prepared for.

Thanks a ton,
RC

Last edited by Rcrootbeer; 05-19-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:31 PM

Ive had the same thing going on with mine, pretty sure its all MAF related. It comes and goes though, tomorrow i may hit it with a dash or ten of electrical contact cleaner.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
Ive had the same thing going on with mine, pretty sure its all MAF related. It comes and goes though, tomorrow i may hit it with a dash or ten of electrical contact cleaner.

Ya, I read another horror story on here where a guy paid over $1600 worth of work only to later clean his MAF and have his car return to normal. The issues you describe (if I remember correctly anyway) almost perfectly match what he described. And I have read from a good number of others on here that your MAF can be messed up and not throw a code. You can buy CRC MAF cleaner from autozone for like 8 bucks. It takes so little time to do and its so cheap, you may as well start there.

Also,

I don't know if you have ever blown a transmission in a car before, but, in the experience I had anyway, I knew it was blown. No if's and's or but's, it was blown.

Have you ever cleaned your MAF or do you know the last time it was cleaned with cleaner? If so, how long ago? Does your OBD scanner work on other cars?

Lastly, no one can tell you if your transmission is going to go in a week or in a year. Chances are, if you drive normally, don't do something crazy like drain all of the fluid out of the thing, and its not broken now, it'll be perfectly fine. I've read very few broken transmission stories on here. They seem to be pretty good. But for the money, I'd go buy the cleaner, and spray it down.

Last edited by mazda626es; 05-19-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 AM

I love all of you. I thought it would have been weird to just be perfectly fine and then all the sudden loose my tranny. It's almost to horrible to be true. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 PM

I cleaned my MAF sensor yesterday and the car ran great. I came out this morning and my CEL turned off by itself. The car felt great and I went out to drive it after school and the speedometer went nuts and it bogged down again.

I restarted it and the issue miraculously disappeared.

This is retarted, do I need a new MAF or what?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM

Bump someone please step in.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Christ. Give it some time, if someone knows something, they'll post.

Personally, sure, it seems semi MAF related, but the speedo thing, not so much.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Find a MAF at a local junkyard and swap it out. I picked up one for $60.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 AM

Find a low mileage maf from a scrap yard its not going to hurt your car and im sure u can pick it up cheap...
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 AM
dot dot dot ...

That's what I did too. Paid 55$ for a used one on here.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:59 AM

Yes, Ive got an OEM AM600 MAF that I'd sell you for 80 shipped priority mail. You can get it Saturday if you pay me today.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
Yes, Ive got an OEM AM600 MAF that I'd sell you for 80 shipped priority mail. You can get it Saturday if you pay me today.
I can go to a junkyard and get it today for less than 80. Thanks for your offer though
Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rcrootbeer
I can go to a junkyard and get it today for less than 80. Thanks for your offer though

If you do go let me know where a few dead ladies reside i know there is a couple at u-pull- it on loop 12 and jefferson but the mafs are gone so their not good for you...
Old 05-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo

If you do go let me know where a few dead ladies reside i know there is a couple at u-pull- it on loop 12 and jefferson but the mafs are gone so their not good for you...
I take it the MAF's are one of the first parts to go?