5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sputtering and no acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:19 AM

Sputtering and no acceleration

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me with some troubleshooting of a problem with my 2000SE 5-speed (195K miles).

Over the past 6 months, maybe a couple times a month, my car would not accelerate over about 2K RPM, usually after stopping a light or something, and would just sputter with no power. I would turn the car off, restart, and it would be fine.

This weekend, I had to replace the starter in the car, which went well, but did include, as you all know, the removal of all the air intake equipment and disconnection of a bunch of sensors. I reassembled, and the car starts right up, but now I am experiencing the acceleration and sputtering problem above almost every time I try to accelerate from a stop, and the restarting trick doesn't always work. To add insult to injury, my speedometer suddenly doesn't work.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be, especially in light of my recent starter replacement work which seems to have aggravated the problem and the sudden coincidental(?) speedo failure? I was thinking maybe an air flow sensor of some kind (MAF? although I did replace it a few years ago), but it wouldn't explain the speedo. Maybe the speedo is truly coincidental or maybe I damaged/disconnected something for the speedo (not sure where the associated cables, etc for the speedo are located)? I was also thinking maybe a general computer failure, or maybe its none of these things?

The SES light is on, but has been on and off (usually on) for the better part of 2 years because of coil misfires (I change out the bad one as they go) and cat. I have changed all the o2 sensors over the past couple of years. I don't know if there are any new/different codes stored other than the usual coil and cat related ones, I lent out my OBD reader, but will check later this week.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:25 AM

Sounds like a problem with your MAF.
Is it plugged in properly, and if you removed it from the assembly did you put it back the right way?
As for the speedometer I have no idea what would have caused that.