5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 AM

Brake issue

Just changed my brakes wasnt paying that much attention when i was doing it cause i was talking and BS. But i put i side of brake pads upside down meaning the tabs i noticed where on the top instead of on the bottom, also i added lube to the pins noticed this side is very rough it moves but very forced.. when i did the other side i noticed that i had the tabs upside down.. Now i am getting the smell and a slight sound of the pads rubbing on the rotor with out any brake being applied.. Is this because of them being upside down or do i need to change my caliper bracket.. I cant see why the tabs would be causing this.. Any comments appreciated
Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 AM

What tabs are you speaking of? The ones on the pads?

If its not right or you don't think its correct why not just pop it off and re do it?

Are you saying the caliper pins aren't sliding well even though you greased them?

There could be some old crud in there or the pin has rust on it. I would take some sandpaper or something of the sorts and smooth out the pin if its rough then spray brake clean or the like in the hole for the pin and re grease.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:35 PM

do you mean putting the pad on backward, not upside down? Cuz if you put it upside down, you know it would not go in at all, but my guess is you put it backward, pad facing away from the rotor then you pretty much mess up your rotor, so you need either to get it turned or get new rotor, possibly the pad, if it got grease on the friction material, then it's ruined
Old 05-30-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
do you mean putting the pad on backward, not upside down? Cuz if you put it upside down, you know it would not go in at all, but my guess is you put it backward, pad facing away from the rotor then you pretty much mess up your rotor, so you need either to get it turned or get new rotor, possibly the pad, if it got grease on the friction material, then it's ruined
Nah i mean upside down there is a tab on each pad and on one side i put the tab on the bottom of the caliper and then on the side i wasnt paying attention the tabs were on the top.. The tabs wouldnt allow you to put them on backwards the tabs wouldnt let the pad go on..
Old 05-30-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Simardfosgate3
What tabs are you speaking of? The ones on the pads?

If its not right or you don't think its correct why not just pop it off and re do it?

Are you saying the caliper pins aren't sliding well even though you greased them?

There could be some old crud in there or the pin has rust on it. I would take some sandpaper or something of the sorts and smooth out the pin if its rough then spray brake clean or the like in the hole for the pin and re grease.

I didnt have time to do it i work a lot ended up warping the rotor it did release now and dont think the tabs really matter they are just wear sensors or something like that.. this weekend doing the rotors and gonna use some sand paper on the brackets and got new pins hopefully this does the trick thanks for the feedback though