5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VLEDS V3 Triton Installed (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I love lamp.

VLEDS V3 Triton Installed (pics)

Hey guys,

So for while I've been thinking about what I wanted to do for LED's for my turn signals and brake lights. Some of the LED towers that were offered in the past just didn't cut the mustard when it came to lighting up a reflector and some just looked flat out ricey as a result. For tail lights the some where either too gawdy, or just didn't have the right look to them.

For a while I've keeping my eye on the V3 Tritons from VLEDs. I've seen some video of them in action and they sort of fit what I was after. LED look but with some subtlety. So I order 3 pair. 1 pair of amber for the front pair, and 2 pair of red for the rear tail light and turn signal. I wanted to do the red look just to be a little different.

Today the amber set showed up. The reds are on backorder till mid month. Got them installed, and I think my expectations have been more than met. These lights are bulb, fill out the reflector really nice, and there is no question my turn signals are on. My only concern is if they are too bright or not. We'll see.

Anyway here is some pics. I will share pics of the tail lights/rear turn when I get the next sets. Also for my parking light, should I stick with the amber LED, or go with a white LED? What do you guys think?

The V3 Triton Kit. Comes with bulbs, control modules, fuses for the resistors in the control module, screws for the base, a adapter collar if needed, and instructions.

Control module. What nice is you can enable/disable the resistor with a fuse in the fuse holder. In this application, needed. No hyperblink.

Stock turn signal bulb, parking light is an amber LED:

Installed. Node that the bulb goes in as an angle. The bulb is adjustable to get the right focus. In this case, it's almost extended all the way it can go.

Now to see the rubber meet the road. Test fire:

With the main lights on:

With all lights on:

With a little less glare from the headlight lens:

A video comparing stock bulb vs the V3 Tritons....ignore the fact I said halogen...I was having a der moment.

S
Old 06-11-2014, 10:40 AM

Some impressive hardware, those V3s.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 AM

get some shots at night, from distance I cant really see the quality from your pics. I think these are the ones Im ordering too but Im waiting on the reds to come in first...definitely good buys
Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Nice!

I have amber on my front parking light.

you need to retro that fog lights or at least put Lexus Capsules in there!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:59 PM
I love lamp.

My reds showed as delivered today. I'll have pics of those. I'll try to get night ones too, my current pics do them no justice.

S
Old 06-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Nice mod i think the video shows best result
Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 PM
I love lamp.

So got the back of the car done. Since the pics are in daylight it's a little harder to tell, but they light are very visible. I did all red bulbs for the back.

Left side is all LED, right side is all incandescent bulbs.

Tail-lights.

Brake Lights

Turn Signals

Quick Video
Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 PM
I love lamp.

Here is some video showing these at night. These are friggen bright!

Old 06-13-2014, 06:22 AM
Got Retrofit?

How much did you pay a pair? They look really nice.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 AM

Definitely go with white parking lights! They look really bice compared to amber!

Name:  20140612_203606-1_zpsgwukyivj.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  46.7 KB Name:  IMG_2218_zpsx9ezowyb.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  119.8 KB

I know my headlights are a different style but you get the point. Im getting the 5.5 styled ones soon though. It looks really nice to have the headlights, fogs, park light, and sidemarkers all match. My headlight bulb is still a bit too yellow but no sense in buying another set of bulbs when im getting new headlights. Money well spent though, they look great!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 AM

Nice job on the VLEDS! And I agree with ^^^^ the white LED parking lights look better:

I don't think all lights should match though. Side markers should be abmer/red, fogs in any color other than yellow is not functional and basically just for looks so HID fogs and stuff like that is dumb IMO, etc.

And finally, if you get 5.5gen headlights make sure u get OEM and then retro or leave em stock. Because aftermarket 5.5gen style headlights will have fitment issues and you will have gaps on the inside edges of both lights (closest to grill) like you see in OP pics ^^^
Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Nice job on the VLEDS! And I agree with ^^^^ the white LED parking lights look better:

I don't think all lights should match though. Side markers should be abmer/red, fogs in any color other than yellow is not functional and basically just for looks so HID fogs and stuff like that is dumb IMO, etc.

And finally, if you get 5.5gen headlights make sure u get OEM and then retro or leave em stock. Because aftermarket 5.5gen style headlights will have fitment issues and you will have gaps on the inside edges of both lights (closest to grill) like you see in OP pics ^^^
I placed red in my rear markers so they contrast the front from the back. And I agree with function over looks.. but (I take it you have a 5.5) the stock foglights literally do absolutely nothing. I put 3 different types of bulbs in and still they did nothing:/ So that being said I figured Id go for looks. Ive got switchback turn signals so theyre orange like theyre supposed to be when turning.

And I want the oem 5.5s..but I cant find a good set that arent fogged up. So ill end up getting ebay ones and do what I have to to get them worthy at night(projector retro and etc.) From the money standpoint, im still tempted to keep the 5.0 gen style and do a projector retro project.
Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-13-09-47-15-1_zps1q8txf0v.png
Views: 26
Size:  159.9 KB
Though id keep my chrome..itd such a tough decision
Old 06-13-2014, 08:31 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
How much did you pay a pair? They look really nice.
They are spendy. About $110 per pair from VLEDS. However I feel they were worth it.

S
Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell

Thanks! I had amber bulbs in my OEM lights and was going to continue with it. However soon after putting in the LED, it just wasn't quite right. I'll get the white version ordered and go from there. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with my fogs. Since the retro, they went from functional to not functional. At one point I had Lexus capsules (got sick of replacing broken capsules), then the lamin-x film in yellow, but go sick of them turning dull so went back to stock. I'm tempted to go with LED H3, but they don't have a 3000k yellow option...so kinda stuck.

As for the retrofit, I ended up going the ebay lights knowing pretty well I would expect fitment issues. Trying to locate OEM lights for retro that were in like new condition and not have to pay over $500 is tough to do at the time. Many of lights that were under had some sort of issue whether it was the lenses or the backets, etc. My factory 5.5 lights were not in the right shape to retro either and I didn't have a backup set of lights to use while the retro occurred. However I hear you, and I think if I held out a little longer to find the right OEM lights to retro, it would be perfect.

S

Last edited by maximase86; 06-13-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Thanks! I had amber bulbs in my OEM lights and was going to continue with it. However soon after putting in the LED, it just wasn't quite right. I'll get the white version ordered and go from there. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with my fogs. Since the retro, they went from functional to not functional. At one point I had Lexus capsules (got sick of replacing broken capsules), then the lamin-x film in yellow, but go sick of them turning dull so went back to stock. I'm tempted to go with LED H3, but they don't have a 3000k yellow option...so kinda stuck.

As for the retrofit, I ended up going the ebay lights knowing pretty well I would expect fitment issues. Trying to locate OEM lights for retro that were in like new condition and not have to pay over $500 is tough to do at the time. Many of lights that were under had some sort of issue whether it was the lenses or the backets, etc. My factory 5.5 lights were not in the right shape to retro either and I didn't have a backup set of lights to use while the retro occurred. However I hear you, and I think if I held out a little longer to find the right OEM lights to retro, it would be perfect.

S
I hear ya dude, my 5.5gen lights were in rough shape when I bought them, my buddy helped me retro the whole inside with new reflectors and all. The ones I had bought were broken inside, but they were cheap and really only thing you need is the housing for that perfect fit. You can do something similar, find a pair of 5.5gen lights in rough shape and retro, as long as the housing is good and the lens can be cleaned for a clear look that's all you need.

For fogs I recommend Nokya 2500k bulbs. Don't get 3000k or any kind of HID in there, they're too hot and will over time burn or as you put it "dull" the lamin-x film. I've been running lamin-x yellow film on mine for some time now too as you can see in my pic, no problems with the 2500k Nokya, looks awesome and is really functional in bad weather.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:43 PM
I love lamp.

I'll look into the Nokya bulbs. Thanks man!

S
Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 AM

Why don't we retro yellow lexus capsules in there, I have few pairs left if you are interested.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Genes1s
Why don't we retro yellow lexus capsules in there, I have few pairs left if you are interested.
How well do they work with hids?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by DOODOOCHIP
How well do they work with hids?
The HID's create quite a bit of heat. They so you run the risk of them cracking or shattering, especially if it's really cold out.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:21 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by Genes1s
Are the capsule you have the short yellow ones, or the longer 9005 ones? Do you have any 5k led's that you can light up in the capsule to tell me if the light still comes out yellow, or does it go green?

S
Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 AM
I love lamp.

So last week I got the 5k white LED for the parking light. It looks too blue in comparison to my 55w 4300k headlights for my tastes. I'm probably going to go back to amber and reuse the white LED's for the license plate on the 7th gen.

S
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM

Thats the most annoying issue ive had when it comes to having white leds.. they all arent 1000% identical and while others dont notice.. I do
Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM
I love lamp.

It's too bad that 5000k and 6000k are the only options from VLED's. If there was a 'soft white' 4000-4300k option for those LED's, it would be just about right. Either way I went back the amber route and am happy with that. Ended up with a nice license plate LED set.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
It's too bad that 5000k and 6000k are the only options from VLED's. If there was a 'soft white' 4000-4300k option for those LED's, it would be just about right. Either way I went back the amber route and am happy with that. Ended up with a nice license plate LED set.
Glad you got use out of them!