5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pioneer FH-X720BT Bluetooth CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:41 AM

Pioneer FH-X720BT Bluetooth CD Player

So I won a bid on this aftermarket radio.

Will I need all this for it to go along so that steering controls work as well.
Are there cheaper ones else where??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300949504819...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So I have 2 subs in my car with amplifier and I had paid someone to do it.
I was charge because I needed some adapter or something like that in the front because of my stock radio. Now that I have an aftermarket, any one know what my changes are?

I have my 2 10 inch pioneers in the back with amp set up, all i will need to do is replace the stock radio.

Is this something easy to set up or should I just pay someone to do it?

Suggestions?????
Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by egali045

I was charge because I needed some adapter or something like that in the front because of my stock radio. Now that I have an aftermarket, any one know what my changes are?

I have my 2 10 inch pioneers in the back with amp set up, all i will need to do is replace the stock radio.

Suggestions?????
No one has a clue????? really??
Old 01-15-2015, 08:34 AM

No one has a clue????? really??
Perhaps try posting on the audio video section,and search a lil more...but yes you need an adaptor for the wiring ,the steering controls, and antenna.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Perhaps try posting on the audio video section,and search a lil more...but yes you need an adaptor for the wiring ,the steering controls, and antenna.
I don't know where that discussion forum is at.

Okay, is all that stuff I need in the link I provided?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:44 AM

They probably charged you for a wiring harness since the factory harness doesn't match up to the aftermarket plugs without a harness adapter. When my dad owned my car, he had an aftermarket head unit put in and they just cut the harness and hard wired it... so that's how it remains today, even after I put a new unit in. The harness usually has different colored cables that are more easily translated into what they lead to. This would be F Right Speaker, R Right Speaker, R Left Speaker, etc. In most cases, these colors are different than what the factory uses, so it takes the installer some time to designate which cables go where when attaching a new harness. In your case, it seems that work has already been done. You'll most likely will have to cut some cables to attach the new plug, but if a harness was installed already, you'll figure that all out in no time.

In the case of your subs, those are connected to an amp so those don't have to be touched. A blue cable connected to your head unit is probably being used to turn that on when the head unit comes on, so be sure to wire that together on the harness if it has to be adjusted. Also, the amp gets its sound signal from RCA cables, which are just plug and play, so those should be extra easy. Both of those things are just sitting behind your head unit now.

Fitment in the dash kit adapter can be a little difficult also, since you might have to disassemble some of the center dash. Just be gentle with it to not break any pieces, especially around the top vent, and be sure to use a rag when prying with a screw driver if you have to, so that you don't peel back any plastic.

If you do it yourself, this install will probably take about an hour or two if you've never done it before.

You will need to buy an aftermarket steering wheel control adapter still. This will save your controls
http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-...ds=axxess+aswc

Last edited by Cotozic; 01-15-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
They probably charged you for a wiring harness since the factory harness doesn't match up to the aftermarket plugs without a harness adapter. When my dad owned my car, he had an aftermarket head unit put in and they just cut the harness and hard wired it... so that's how it remains today, even after I put a new unit in. The harness usually has different colored cables that are more easily translated into what they lead to. This would be F Right Speaker, R Right Speaker, R Left Speaker, etc. In most cases, these colors are different than what the factory uses, so it takes the installer some time to designate which cables go where when attaching a new harness. In your case, it seems that work has already been done. You'll most likely will have to cut some cables to attach the new plug, but if a harness was installed already, you'll figure that all out in no time.

In the case of your subs, those are connected to an amp so those don't have to be touched. A blue cable connected to your head unit is probably being used to turn that on when the head unit comes on, so be sure to wire that together on the harness if it has to be adjusted. Also, the amp gets its sound signal from RCA cables, which are just plug and play, so those should be extra easy. Both of those things are just sitting behind your head unit now.

Fitment in the dash kit adapter can be a little difficult also, since you might have to disassemble some of the center dash. Just be gentle with it to not break any pieces, especially around the top vent, and be sure to use a rag when prying with a screw driver if you have to, so that you don't peel back any plastic.

If you do it yourself, this install will probably take about an hour or two if you've never done it before.

You will need to buy an aftermarket steering wheel control adapter still. This will save your controls
http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-...ds=axxess+aswc

Wow thanks so much. I hope I don't eff up anything. So man now I'm **** that I got to to pay for a 50$ adapter for my steering wheel controls. Then I gotta pay for the dash kit. Do you happen to have a link for the Maxima manual harness colors?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 PM

I do not, though it's pretty easy to test yourself. The book for the unit should tell you what colors its included harness are supposed to be linked to though, which can be a good start.

Attach the harness to the unit and start going through one by one. Once you find the cable that supplies power to the head unit, you can start testing speakers. Just turn the volume up a bit on the unit, and test wires until the coordinating wire turns on the correct speaker.

Just a matter of taking time to match things up. Obviously the colors on the provided harness are easier to understand than the car's harness colors, but that's the fun of translating them over to the new harness.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:13 AM

Suggestions?????
i used to work at an audio shop so dont worry im here to help.

If I were you , when you order your dash kit with the harness you should order these adaptors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-2-7-RCA-...item43bf01f674

reason why I say that is because you should run the rcas coming from your bass amp straight to the head unit , you`ll get cleaner bass and everything will sound more clear. When using the adaptor I recommended make sure you plug the 4 rca's coming from the harness adaptor into them into the front rca output and the bass rca into rear output .As for the stereo harness adaptor all you have to do is connect every wire using its color code (ex. Red-red, yellow-yellow , black-black) connect the blue wire from the head unit ( remote turn on wire (blue/white stripe )) to the adaptor . hopefully who ever did your system tapped the remote turn on for your bass amp into your factory amp so everything else should work and youll be fine . as for steering wheel control spending extra for the module Is your choice plus you should have a remote control , so your decision other than that run the black microphone to you’re a piller trim or where ever you want.

not to sure if your car is auto or manual but all you have to do is remove the shifter console and the vents on top and the 4 screws and that should be it

If you have any questions feel free to ask
Old 01-18-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by shawniiebwoiiee
i used to work at an audio shop so dont worry im here to help.

If I were you , when you order your dash kit with the harness you should order these adaptors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-2-7-RCA-...item43bf01f674

reason why I say that is because you should run the rcas coming from your bass amp straight to the head unit , you`ll get cleaner bass and everything will sound more clear. When using the adaptor I recommended make sure you plug the 4 rca's coming from the harness adaptor into them into the front rca output and the bass rca into rear output .As for the stereo harness adaptor all you have to do is connect every wire using its color code (ex. Red-red, yellow-yellow , black-black) connect the blue wire from the head unit ( remote turn on wire (blue/white stripe )) to the adaptor . hopefully who ever did your system tapped the remote turn on for your bass amp into your factory amp so everything else should work and youll be fine . as for steering wheel control spending extra for the module Is your choice plus you should have a remote control , so your decision other than that run the black microphone to you’re a piller trim or where ever you want.

not to sure if your car is auto or manual but all you have to do is remove the shifter console and the vents on top and the 4 screws and that should be it

If you have any questions feel free to ask
About the rca cables , im pretty sure i seen those underneath where the clutch is around last time they were in the way. Thats between the amp/ speakers and the head unit right?
That's what's needed for the stock unit ?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:40 PM

If the wires are in the way of the clutch, I suggest getting some zip ties to tether them up above the steering column. That worked well for me since I drilled the hole for the amp power cables through where the clutch in my automatic would normally be.

The RCA cables and remote start both run from the head unit to the amp, so they are probably wired beneath the steering column or in that area and down the side panels to the trunk, or through the passengers side panels. Most of the time, the power cables are what come through the driver's side by the clutch. If you see cables climbing through the firewall (the wall between the cabin and the engine bay), those are for the amplifier's power.

The RCA cables are what are normally the two wire cable, for left and right sound. With subwoofers, there is only mono sound, so depending on the block, you'll only need one cable, while some take both if you've got two woofers. Just depends on the set up. I use a Y splitter like Shawniee posted since some head units only have 1 RCA port for subwoofer sound.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 PM

About the rca cables , im pretty sure i seen those underneath where the clutch is around last time they were in the way. Thats between the amp/ speakers and the head unit right?
That's what's needed for the stock unit ?
ok well if you see the rca cables under the dash you would need to run that to the headunit you have(poineer) , because you will get better signal (cleaner bass ) which is the proper way.

now stock unit ? once you buy your kit from ebay and those wires i posted earlier in the form you should be set to go . just make sure you put those 4 rcas into the splitter and use them as front output and use rear for bass , because from my research your poineer deck only has 2 outputs , if im correct . im here to help bro let me know whats going on