5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best Way to Stop this Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Civ
Newbie - Just Registered

Best Way to Stop this Leak?

Hello Everyone, hope y’all can help me with this issue.
I own a 2000 Maxima GLE 3.0 Automatic transmission. It runs amazingly well. It has about 260,000 miles on it and I have taken very good care of the vehicle.

THE ISSUE:
After driving long distances, smoke would come up from underneath the car. Upon closer inspection, we noticed it would also come from towards the center of the car, just behind the engine and halfway towards the underside of the car.
My dad and I washed the bottom of the car meticulously with a mixture of soap and water, then carb cleaner and engine degreaser the next day (both with a scrub and rinse after applying). We then idled the engine for about 15 minutes, then waited another 5 minutes. We noticed the accumulation of oil coming from the orifice in the picture shown below. We’re ABSOLUTELY sure it is coming from there, and is not dripping from somewhere else.

Best Way to Stop this Leak?-leak-picture.jpg
<<<The picture is larger than its preview, I dont remember how to resize it in the actual post itself.>>>

I’ve read from other forums that the issue could lie in the rear valve cover gasket, the rear main seal, or from something called a half-moon gasket (first time I have heard of that one).

Can I get a confirmation of which one of these could be the actual problem? I would hate to drop the tranny and try to fix something that isn’t the problem.
If it is the rear main seal, are there any tips to help me get started? I own the FSM but would like a general approach.

Lastly, will I have to take out the transmission to fix the problem if it is the rear main seal?

Thanks in advance,

Civ
Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM

by the looks of it after 260k miles ,,the seal may be giving away,,the rear half moon seal must be replaced,,no seals last forever
Old 03-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Civ
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxipower
by the looks of it after 260k miles ,,the seal may be giving away,,the rear half moon seal must be replaced,,no seals last forever
Thank you for the reply, maxipower!

You're right on the not lasting forever part! So to replace the half moon seal, would I need to take off the transmission to get to it?
Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Bad *** Newb

Yes, the rear main, so don't bother replacing it LOL

Don't overfill with oil and it shouldn't leak much.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-16-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:33 PM

Hello.
If it's engine oil from my experience and from reading others similar problems
the seal on the oil pan goes before the rear main.

The job is alittle time consuming if you don't have proper instructions.
search google and you'll see pictures of what needs to be done.

site:maxima.org upper oil pan seal
Old 03-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Civ
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Yes, the rear main, so don't bother replacing it LOL

Don't overfill with oil and it shouldn't leak much.
Thanks for replying, KoRn!

I see...it seems like a pretty difficult task at hand...My dad was going over some of the things we might have to take off and it looks like a long list. I'll see if I can take some oil out or wait for it to level itself off instead!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Hello.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if those went bad or not.

Either way, not worth the time

Originally Posted by Civ
Thanks for replying, KoRn!

I see...it seems like a pretty difficult task at hand...My dad was going over some of the things we might have to take off and it looks like a long list. I'll see if I can take some oil out or wait for it to level itself off instead!
Undo bottom strut bolts and tie rod ends to pull axles, remove crossmember, support engine, remove shifter cable, remove tranny mount bolt, lower engine/tranny down, remove bell housing bolts (or do it before lowering), have a tranny jack or something to catch it when popping tranny off, remove flex plate and flywheel

Did I forget anything?

It's a pretty easy when you learn how to get the tranny back up in there. I use an engine hoist and pull it up, then just muscle to thrust it in. This can all be done with one person if they've done it before :P Same goes for pulling and reinstalling the motor.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-16-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Civ
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Hello.

Thanks donkeypunch!

ok, I will look around for information regarding the pan. thanks for the insight!

I'm hoping that Ill be able to get enough information to know what I'm doing before I put my car on jacks. I'll give those keywords a google search and see what all I can gather!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Civ
Newbie - Just Registered

Undo bottom strut bolts and tie rod ends to pull axles, remove crossmember, support engine, remove tranny mount, lower engine/tranny down, remove bolts (or do it before lowering), have a tranny jack or something to catch it when popping tranny off, remove flex plate and flywheel

Did I forget anything?
oh man, i think you actually mentioned everything that my dad mentioned earlier this afternoon before I posted here...he said he wasnt sure himself but since you're listing many of the same things he told me its gotta be all that stuff
Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Civ
oh man, i think you actually mentioned everything that my dad mentioned earlier this afternoon before I posted here...he said he wasnt sure himself but since you're listing many of the same things he told me its gotta be all that stuff
BTW, if I were going to remove a high mileage tranny... I would pick up a low mileage AE tranny b/c it's LSD. Replace the driver's axle with AE one and I THINK you're good to go.
We all know autos are the weak spot of any good car. So I would get two birds stoned at once.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-16-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Civ
Newbie - Just Registered

BTW, if I were going to remove a high mileage tranny... I would pick up a low mileage AE tranny b/c it's LSD. Replace the driver's axle with AE one and I THINK you're good to go.
We all know autos are the weak spot of any good car. So I would get two birds stoned at once.
Update:

My dad and I started another project with our house while we are waiting for some supplies to come in. I'll still be getting the car prepped to do a more serious maintenance job but progress will be slowed until we get this other one finished up.

Ill be sure to look into an AE tranny as well!