5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fixing a Saggy bumper w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:15 PM

Fixing a Saggy bumper w/ Pics

I've had a bumper sag on my passenger side for a while. I have some pictures.

I know the lighting isn't the best, so I will explain. The first tab on the left closest to the wheel looks like it's being pulled down from the fender where it connects, but the tab to the right I noticed has completely lost connection from above, and is just hanging onto the bumper. I can push the bumper up, and I notice the tab just falls back down. This is the part that is making the bumper sag.

I'm wondering what the best route to repair this would be. It's one of those things that's really only noticeable to the driver, but I'm tired of this sagging.

I'm not good with repairs and have only a tiny bit of experience when it comes to body repair, but I'd like to give it a go if I can without taking it to the body shop since this is my only car. I don't want to take off the bumper in fear of not being able to put it back on, unless I know what to look for.

I've searched for help here many times, but it seems there are no clear answers, and I may have some pieces I could be in need of replacing. Again, I have little experience in order to tackle this on my own, but if anyone could share some advice, I'd be willing to order parts, and/or give it a go on my own.

I appreciate any help!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:40 PM

Take it to a bodyshop and get a quote?

My go to shop didn't even charge their hourly rate to fix it and the sag has been gone for over 2 years now
Old 07-16-2015, 10:19 PM

Remove these plastic rivets and get to the two holes, you can see one in in your bottom two pics, theirs another on top of that one that holds them with A bolt or nut so you can tighten them together....tight fit but not rocket science

Last edited by BronxSleeperMax187; 07-16-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will go at it tomorrow since I have some other stuff to install. Perhaps I will try to just replace the clip with a bolt if I can get a good view and reach... fortunately I have small and hands. Tools might be the issue.

I had hoped my body shop would fix this part when I took it in for a rad support fix, but I'd rather not leave it if I can give it a shot. If all else fails, they can do it for me. I'll report back tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:41 PM

Zip ties work good in a pinch ;p
Old 07-30-2015, 08:16 PM

Alright, so I went at it. When I pulled the wheel well to the side to reach around, I unbolted the two nearest bolts going up into the bumper. Both screws go into little plastic clips. I guess the weight of the bumper over the years just kinda pulled the first tab down in the fender more than it should, so the clip couldn't fit under the metal support and fit into the fender to support it. The other smaller clip closer to the headlight has lost its grip, so I just put it back and went about repairing the larger clip in the fender.

I just used a large bolt with a locknut, a screw, and a washer. I just hand tightened it together and it's holding up well. Looks significantly better than it did, so I'm happy I spent the time to fix this. I just wanted to be sure it would be easy to take off if I take it to my mechanic.