5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Remanufactured Rack & Pinion Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Remanufactured Rack & Pinion Replacement

Hello - I recently had the rack & pinion replaced on my 01 Max GXE, 130K miles on it. After picking it up there was and still is a noticeable clunking noise and feel whenever you start to turn the steering wheel from one side to the other.

When I picked it up the mechanic was up front and mentioned it to me. He also said he had talked with the guy who handled the front-end alignment about it and was told the rack was fine and the noise/feel was normal and it may even go away.
Well it has been a few months and of course it hasn't gone away

Anyone else had their rack & pinion replaced with a remanufactured one and experienced this same thing?

I have been in touch with the mechanic and told him it hasn't gone away and doesn't feel nor sound "normal." I'm asking him to replace it under warranty.

Looking forward to hearing any experienes, comments or thoughts you may have.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:50 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by rhc43
Hello - I recently had the rack & pinion replaced on my 01 Max GXE, 130K miles on it. After picking it up there was and still is a noticeable clunking noise and feel whenever you start to turn the steering wheel from one side to the other.

When I picked it up the mechanic was up front and mentioned it to me. He also said he had talked with the guy who handled the front-end alignment about it and was told the rack was fine and the noise/feel was normal and it may even go away.
Well it has been a few months and of course it hasn't gone away

Anyone else had their rack & pinion replaced with a remanufactured one and experienced this same thing?

I have been in touch with the mechanic and told him it hasn't gone away and doesn't feel nor sound "normal." I'm asking him to replace it under warranty.

Looking forward to hearing any experienes, comments or thoughts you may have.
What was wrong with it before? They virtually never fail. If you're very unlucky the seals go out.

Idk much about steering, but those symptoms are what I expect from bushings.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 12-03-2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd expect the tie rods to have play before the steering rack...Or if your lower control arm bushings are completely shot, there could be some movement, causing a clunk when the wheel starts to turn...

I would think, though, if the steering rack was remanufactured, that'd include new inner tie rods at the least. Another possibility is the wheel bearings, I suppose... but less likely because you'd feel/hear different issues as well in most cases.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:21 AM

clunking could be from your strut mounts are failing or the ball joints. you need to do visual inspection of the suspension component. the rack does not cause clunking noise, unless the bushing where it mounts into the subframe is dry rotted and causing some movement.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
What was wrong with it before? They virtually never fail. If you're very unlucky the seals go out.

Idk much about steering, but those symptoms are what I expect from bushings.
I guess I'm in the unlucky group. Seals went bad and we're leaking .