5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OBX headers don't look like equal length

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015 | 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
I've never heard of unlimited life timing chains. I also don't know how well my car was serviced before my owner ship. i can only assume there is an inspection port to check the stretch with some sort of spec to compare to for measurement/gauge wear. Who knows about all aluminum rads on 5th gens? :P
I wouldn't say the chains are unlimited but they're extremely stout. It's one thing on these cars I wouldn't worry about changing.

As far as radiator did yours start leaking up top drivers side by nissan mold? Or something else?
Old 12-13-2015 | 03:02 PM

i doubt it's nissan it's been replaced before. its where the plastic clamps. it seeps a little on cold days. i want to get all aluminum and silicone hoses.
Old 12-13-2015 | 03:43 PM

i doubt it's nissan it's been replaced before. its where the plastic clamps. it seeps a little on cold days. i want to get all aluminum and silicone hoses.
Either way time for a new one. If you look online you can find really good deals on quality rads.
Old 12-14-2015 | 06:24 AM

I've never heard of unlimited life timing chains. I also don't know how well my car was serviced before my owner ship. i can only assume there is an inspection port to check the stretch with some sort of spec to compare to for measurement/gauge wear.

Who knows about all aluminum rads on 5th gens? :P
The VQs are suppose to have timing chains that will not need servicing ever, they are life time components. For the most part it has been the truth its one of those things you take for granted kind of like our service free solid valve train until you peak over on other forums. There are some reports of stretched timing chains and worn guides etc in the VQ30. The beef on the VQ35 chain.....ive never heard of a stretched chain problem.
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:19 PM

Well it sounds like the best way is to find how to check if it's stretched.

I consider an all aluminum rad quality plus, i may actually go forced induction so it would be nice to have an all aluminum rad, LSD trans with shift kit and exhaust in place. struts springs wouldn't hurt either. :P
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:33 PM

Well it sounds like the best way is to find how to check if it's stretched. I consider an all aluminum rad quality plus, i may actually go forced induction so it would be nice to have an all aluminum rad, LSD trans with shift kit and exhaust in place. struts springs wouldn't hurt either. :P
If you go forced induction transgo, exhaust and a decent suspension setup are must have imho. Lsd isn't what you think it's going to be on the auto. It's not the same as the hlsd on the manual. I have it on my Turbo'd Max and I almost always turn it off. I should probably use it more but In the back of my mind I have a feeling like it'll burn up my auto quicker if I use it. Not saying that's a fact just saying that's the feeling I get.
Old 12-14-2015 | 01:00 PM

non LSD trans just cut fuel, supposedly LSD supposed to put some power to the other wheel which sounds like a win win cause i think i definitely spin them in corner and when taking off, especially with TC turned off. THAT IS ALL I KNOW!

don't think i've driven any OTHER front wheel drive car with power let alone one with LSD.
Old 12-14-2015 | 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
If you go forced induction transgo, exhaust and a decent suspension setup are must have imho. Lsd isn't what you think it's going to be on the auto. It's not the same as the hlsd on the manual. I have it on my Turbo'd Max and I almost always turn it off. I should probably use it more but In the back of my mind I have a feeling like it'll burn up my auto quicker if I use it. Not saying that's a fact just saying that's the feeling I get.
How do you turn off an LSD? I seriously would like to know just so i can trick people into thinking one tire fire than all of a sudden......
Old 12-14-2015 | 01:58 PM

That's what I'm saying it's not like the manual hlsd. It's traction control button tcs. It works with abs and something else. I'm not really sure the ins and outs of it. I figured all autos came with it but evidently not.
Old 12-14-2015 | 02:17 PM

Thats not an LSD, thats traction control. LSD do not use the brakes or cut throttle, if its an auto or a manual it does not matter LSD do not use the brakes or cut the throttle. An lsd in the case of most gear or clutch driven lsds if one wheels spins X amount of times then the other wheel has to spin Z amount of times. It could be ration of 2:1 or maybe 1.5:1 it gets complicated. VLSDs are driven by fluid so they are completely different.

Traction control is a total different system, it uses the brakes and the throttle to limit loose of traction. When it detect slip it first uses the brake and if that is not enough it cuts power. But you can still have an open diff with traction control in fact most cars do.
Old 12-14-2015 | 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Thats not an LSD, thats traction control. LSD do not use the brakes or cut throttle, if its an auto or a manual it does not matter LSD do not use the brakes or cut the throttle. An lsd in the case of most gear or clutch driven lsds if one wheels spins X amount of times then the other wheel has to spin Z amount of times. It could be ration of 2:1 or maybe 1.5:1 it gets complicated. VLSDs are driven by fluid so they are completely different. Traction control is a total different system, it uses the brakes and the throttle to limit loose of traction. When it detect slip it first uses the brake and if that is not enough it cuts power. But you can still have an open diff with traction control in fact most cars do.
I don't know then all I know is I have a bar in between my cv shafts and most guys seem to say they don't. So I guess tcs and lsd are two separate things. I thought they were related. I know I get power to both wheels but I usually turn the tcs off but I guess that explains why I still get power to both. Learn something new everyday.
Old 12-15-2015 | 06:20 AM

LSD is an internal mechanic part inside the trans, it helps deliver more power to the pavement and in doing so SHOULD reduce the need for TCS to kick in and thusly go a little bit faster.
Old 12-15-2015 | 06:30 AM

LSD is an internal mechanic part inside the trans, it helps deliver more power to the pavement and in doing so SHOULD reduce the need for TCS to kick in and thusly go a little bit faster.
I've never driven my year maxima without it. So it's hard to say for me how well it works. I can say that I don't get the horrible torque steer that I read about. I have a little not bad at all though.
Old 12-15-2015 | 06:37 AM

i get torq steer and for some reason i seem to think my car lacks LSD, i think i decoded the VIN once. All I know is people do LSD tranny swaps but, also if adding more power, one probably wants LSD to help put it to the ground. might also help tire life.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 12-15-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-15-2015 | 07:26 AM

i get torq steer and for some reason i seem to think my car lacks LSD, i think i decoded the VIN once. All I know is people do LSD tranny swaps but, also if adding more power, one probably wants LSD to help put it to the ground. might also help tire life.
I get it just not as bad as people say they have it without it. You can find out for sure if you have LSD or not when you change your cv shaft. If you can see through it you don't but if you see a bar in between the shafts you do.
Old 12-15-2015 | 08:22 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old 12-15-2015 | 08:27 AM

interesting, didn't know that. i doubt i'm gonna dig that deep, i thinking running the VIN again should work and if not good reason to get a low mileage unit and install a transgo kit.
Old 12-15-2015 | 08:48 AM

interesting, didn't know that. i doubt i'm gonna dig that deep, i thinking running the VIN again should work and if not good reason to get a low mileage unit and install a transgo kit.
I have extra valve bodies for sale if you would like to have no down time and install transgo but still have stock vb. I found my replacement LSD in junkyard for 200. I just installed over long turkey day weekend. They can be found pretty cheap.
Old 12-16-2015 | 08:16 AM

interesting. sound like i could have a spare valve body for the supercharger since transgo sells 2 kits, a mild and one geared towards more power/super/turbo.
Old 12-16-2015 | 10:24 AM

interesting. sound like i could have a spare valve body for the supercharger since transgo sells 2 kits, a mild and one geared towards more power/super/turbo.
Yea you could install the kit and still be able to drive the car. No down time if you wanted to do it yourself. Let me know i have two of them for sale.