5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Disable Sunroof on 2003 I35

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Disable Sunroof on 2003 I35

I'm sure it seems like an odd question. I must have a short in my sunroof and it opens a bit by itself. I never use the sunroof. Rather than paying money to repair it, I'd like to just disable it. Is this possible?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:06 AM

I have the same question as well. A couple of times during the dog days of this past summer, my moonroof would randomly slide open a little. I'd be driving with the shade closed and then suddenly hear the whistling of air above me. I tried the reset procedure but that didn't help. Now I verify it's fully closed before parking the car each night so I don't have Six Flags Splash Mountain going on the next morning.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:21 AM

If you pop off the panel where the switch/glasses holder is you can unplug the connection to the sunroof motor. It definitely wont move after that. The motor is right there close to the windshield when you pull the panel.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
If you pop off the panel where the switch/glasses holder is you can unplug the connection to the sunroof motor. It definitely wont move after that. The motor is right there close to the windshield when you pull the panel.
Great info, Derrick. Thanks! Did some searching and found these figures on exactly what to disconnect. I'm not really a fan of the moonroof in this car anyway. Much more wind noise compared to my Honda's.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:00 PM

It'll be obvious when you open it up. There's either a plug going directly into the motor or a short pigtail coming from the motor with a plug. I can't remember off hand.

Just make sure the roof is all the way closed.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:20 AM

Glad you posted this. My daughters is opening all by its self to. Does anyone know what causes it?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanksf for the info Derrick

I assume I just use a blade of some kind to pop open the console? From the diagram, it looks very straightforward. I was not expecting other people to have the same problem, obviously more common than I suspected.

Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by cwiebe
I assume I just use a blade of some kind to pop open the console? From the diagram, it looks very straightforward. I was not expecting other people to have the same problem, obviously more common than I suspected.

Thanks again.
If the glasses holder is part of the panel then there are two phillips head screws inside it. The rest pops down easily with just your fingers.

If the switch panel is separate then I think it just pops down and you can leave the glasses holder in place.

In the Maxima, they changed the design from the 01 to the 02 with the 02 having the one large panel. I know the I35 has the one large panel but I can't remember what he I30 has. Either way, there's nothing to it.

Most of these type of panels all attach the same way.
Resistance at the edge of the panel is from clips that pull apart.
After that, if you feel resistance from the center, start looking for screws.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by mclasser
Great info, Derrick. Thanks! Did some searching and found these figures on exactly what to disconnect. I'm not really a fan of the moonroof in this car anyway. Much more wind noise compared to my Honda's.
Here you go. The clip is a bit of a bastard but it will come apart. Use a flat tip screwdriver to push and twist right here. You have to use a little force but it will come apart.

You could also try just unplugging the switch but I'm not 100% sure that will solve the problem. If you unplug the motor, it's not going to move no matter what.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 01-31-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow, that is excellent. Thanks Derrick. I now have an afternoon task.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:45 PM
Bad *** Newb

I've had this issue occasionally since I installed coilovers. The extra vibration seems to do it. The switch seems loose compared to my other maximas (never happened on the others), so I think the previous owners just wear them out.

I would try snagging one from the junkyard that feels tight.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-31-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Now I have a much larger problem. While trying to unplug the harness from the motor, I succeeded in destroying the plug on the wire side. Dumb, or whatever, now it's done. Anyway, now my windows and power locks are not functioning.

Can anyone give me a link or source where I might buy another harness so I can replace this?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:22 AM

You evidently shorted some wires together in the process. First check 2 fuses. There is a 10 amp fuse, fuse # 10, in the dashboard, Fuse # 10 is in the top row of fuses, the 2nd fuse from the right end, If you have the label on the fuse cover, is is called "Electronic Parts".

The other fuse is under the hood by the battery. It is a 40 amp fuse and the cover calls it "FL40A Power Window".

Unless you want to connect the wires back into the motor, there is no need to replace the wire harness. Just make sure that none of the wires/pin connectors are touching any of the others.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks. I took a look at both fuse boxes, and nothing seems blown. Any suggestions here? Images of fuse box in link.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...IxRm5YTDg1TjJ3
Old 02-04-2016, 11:18 AM

This is the fuse you need to check

Old 02-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Jumpin' Jehozafat. That was it! Thank you so much for your help and patience. A $6 fuse fixed what I thought was unfixable.

Thanks again!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 01:09 PM

You are welcome.

Sometimes fuses will look like they are OK. When in question, you need to either swap it out or test it with an ohmmeter.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:51 PM

Here you go. The clip is a bit of a bastard but it will come apart. Use a flat tip screwdriver to push and twist right here. You have to use a little force but it will come apart.

You could also try just unplugging the switch but I'm not 100% sure that will solve the problem. If you unplug the motor, it's not going to move no matter what.

No, don't do it. Just tried it this way and whole switch came apart with wires splitting

Don't know what to do know. Probably will isolate each wire. The best way to do it is remove two screws that hold the motor. On the other side of the motor, there is a button on the switch. Just press on the switch and remove it.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by pahanorlando
No, don't do it. Just tried it this way and whole switch came apart with wires splitting

Don't know what to do know. Probably will isolate each wire. The best way to do it is remove two screws that hold the motor. On the other side of the motor, there is a button on the switch. Just press on the switch and remove it.
This is nowhere near the switch but OK. I've used this technique for over 20 years on lots of different cars. As long as you push on the release while you twist it should come apart.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:07 PM

This is nowhere near the switch but OK. I've used this technique for over 20 years on lots of different cars. As long as you push on the release while you twist it should come apart.
My bad I meant connector, all wires that were in the connector came apart. I just used speaker wire nuts and isolated all of them.