5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Timing tensioner noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 AM

Timing tensioner noise?

Hey everyone,

Sorry to be the one to post this since I know a lot of people make posts about a "strange" noise and want to know what it is and how to fix it - so my apologies in advance. Sorry for the long post as well. I prefer to do all the work on my Max and avoid taking it to a mechanic or the stealership at all costs.

I have a 2000 SE 5MT with a little over 251K miles and I just noticed this noise yesterday. It sounds like a whirring noise similar to power steering whine, but it was a little different. It somewhat resembled "alternator whistling," but not quite the same pitch. The noise seems to come from the right bank/passenger side. All the belts are fairly new. I haven't done any recent mods to it. The noise varies and is dependent on engine revs/RPMs.

I checked the alternator output and it is within spec. All fluid levels are good. I fear it is a timing chain tensioner. This seems to be a recurrent problem on 02-03s and/or 6th gens based on oil consumption issues, but not so much on 00-01.

The noise is hardly noticeable at idle and you can't hear it when driving since road noise more or less drowns it out. Still pulls fine and no codes.

Based on research, it looks like timing chain work is likely going to cost over $1,000 which is probably more than what the car is worth even though I love driving it. I've gotten some good miles out of it, I just hate to let her go and I can't justify spending more than half of the car's value on repairs.

I found this video on youtube from a 6th gen. It's almost sounds identical to my noise, but mine isn't nearly as loud.

Any other possible ideas of what I can check? I would hate to send her off to car heaven.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:06 AM

Get yourself a mechanics stethoscope.
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-69913.html

You can use it to pinpoint noises and vibrations. They work amazingly well and only cost a few dollars. You can touch any component and hear it's individual sound. You can even check pulleys by touching their center bolt.

The 6th gen cars have problems with the tensioners but it's pretty rare on the 5 or 5.5 cars. I'm not saying it can't be the timing but chances are it's one of the accessories or pulleys.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 AM

Thanks, Derrick. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious and maybe a worn out pulley. I'd like to see her get to 300K. A stethoscope is probably the one thing I'm missing in my arsenal of tools, so I'll grab one and report back to hopefully help out anyone else that runs into this issue.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Another trick is to spray some WD40 into the pulley bearing. If it's making noise that will shut it right up. It wont last long but it'll pinpoint the noise.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Thanks, Derrick. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious and maybe a worn out pulley. I'd like to see her get to 300K. A stethoscope is probably the one thing I'm missing in my arsenal of tools, so I'll grab one and report back to hopefully help out anyone else that runs into this issue.
Take off the drive belt and that will narrow it down really quick.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I was on my way to good old HFT to pick up a stethoscope and the mysterious noise disappeared. I didn't change anything. The only variable that I can think is the weather was different. On the day when the noise was present, it was pretty cold and rainy. Yesterday it was about 30 degrees warmer with much less humidity. That makes me think it's probably a pulley/bearing or something with the belts and not the timing chain or tensioner.

If the noise comes back, I'll try and pinpoint it using those suggestions.