5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Turbo idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Turbo idea

So im not planning to turbo my car atleast notanytime soon but i love my maxima and love to day dream and was thinking has anyone mounted a turbo under our cars by our test pipe/y-pipe area? Its seems like a cool idea and a great place for our sleeperish cars
Old 06-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by sebastian2041
So im not planning to turbo my car atleast notanytime soon but i love my maxima and love to day dream and was thinking has anyone mounted a turbo under our cars by our test pipe/y-pipe area? Its seems like a cool idea and a great place for our sleeperish cars
Rear mounts are the most common alternative location, but mid-mount is done on some cars. Good luck fitting all the pipes.

Wrong section. Don't anger the sleeping mods lol
Old 06-09-2016, 05:17 PM

Ground clearance would be an issue I think, unless you ridding on donks!
Old 06-09-2016, 05:21 PM

I believe it's been done successfully as Korn stated. I tossed the idea around in my head before going with a rear mount. I do believe that it possible and might even be cheaper than a rear mount because of less piping and shorter hosing. The only part that I had concerns with was the placement of a pump. I do believe you could fit a decent sized turbo with piping in the exhaust tunnel. I think you might need to build a shelf for lack of a better word in the tunnel to put a pump on. Unless you had two pumps which I ended up using anyway and sucked the turbo oil from turbo to the spare tire well then from the spare tire well to the motor. Or maybe mount two pumps in the engine compartment. Other then figuring out the oil situation I think it's possible but don't know if the extra work would be worth the headache.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Rear mounts are the most common alternative location, but mid-mount is done on some cars. Good luck fitting all the pipes.

Wrong section. Don't anger the sleeping mods lol
I knew someone would say wrong spot but its not serious enough to be anywhere else
Old 06-09-2016, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
I believe it's been done successfully as Korn stated. I tossed the idea around in my head before going with a rear mount. I do believe that it possible and might even be cheaper than a rear mount because of less piping and shorter hosing. The only part that I had concerns with was the placement of a pump. I do believe you could fit a decent sized turbo with piping in the exhaust tunnel. I think you might need to build a shelf for lack of a better word in the tunnel to put a pump on. Unless you had two pumps which I ended up using anyway and sucked the turbo oil from turbo to the spare tire well then from the spare tire well to the motor. Or maybe mount two pumps in the engine compartment. Other then figuring out the oil situation I think it's possible but don't know if the extra work would be worth the headache.
See thats the only thing i saw that might be an issue( the oil lines). The ground clerance isnt an issue in my opinion because a good plate would protect the turbo an the piping wouldnt change. The intercooling piping maybe an issue but still doubt it. The oil lines, and size of turbo is the only things i see that could be an issue still a cool idea.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:00 PM

See thats the only thing i saw that might be an issue( the oil lines). The ground clerance isnt an issue in my opinion because a good plate would protect the turbo an the piping wouldnt change. The intercooling piping maybe an issue but still doubt it. The oil lines, and size of turbo is the only things i see that could be an issue still a cool idea.
I've been under my car quite a bit and I have a gtx3076 turbo which is a hybrid. I think the turbo itself wouldn't be an issue. With my turbo it needs coolant lines so more lines in and out. For me I just said f*** it and put it in the rear. I could see however with maybe a journal bearing turbo perhaps or perhaps one that doesn't need coolant lines the oil pump or pumps is what you would need to figure out. Getting your oil setup perfect is probably if not the most important it's right up there as the most important part of a remote setup. As long as you can get the oil flow away from the outlet of turbo and back to where ever your return is as quickly as possible, then your set. Figuring out what works best for the setup you have is the hardest part of a remote setup.

One headache I could see with the tunnel setup is maintenance. That and being able to see what's going on quickly without having to jack up the car and squeeze under. That location is probably one of the hardest spots to get to unless you jack both sides front and back so you have plenty of room to work. All this doesn't matter if you have a lift of course. Just a few reasons why I passed on it. I just couldn't come up with any advantage over putting it in the back.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:34 AM

Under the hood is great. People have done rear mount though. Check out some of the turbo 4th gens.

Like Matt said, under the hood is nice for easy access, let alone, shorter pipes and somewhat better ground clearance. You also don't have to worry about what goes into the turbo nearly as much. I just have mine open in the top corner of my bay.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
Under the hood is great. People have done rear mount though. Check out some of the turbo 4th gens.

Like Matt said, under the hood is nice for easy access, let alone, shorter pipes and somewhat better ground clearance. You also don't have to worry about what goes into the turbo nearly as much. I just have mine open in the top corner of my bay.
So where do people drillthe return line? Has anyone tried the oiless turbo?
Old 06-12-2016, 12:49 PM

So where do people drillthe return line? Has anyone tried the oiless turbo?
I put mine into the valve cover but you must be very careful and be sure to put it in the right spot.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Bad *** Newb

I put mine into the valve cover but you must be very careful and be sure to put it in the right spot.
Turbo was higher than VC?
Old 06-12-2016, 01:56 PM

No but I have two pumps to return the oil.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Bad *** Newb

No but I have two pumps to return the oil.
That's what I was wondering LOL.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
That's what I was wondering LOL.
Oh ok. Yea I have rmt setup. When I only had one pump it worked but was just barely enough. After splicing in pump two, forget about it. It's made a huge difference. Not to mention if one randomly stopped at least the other one would be running.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

RMT is your nest option as was stated earlier.

A32 & A33's have very similar undercarriages, so that;s why i included the 2 4th gen links.

https://maxima.org/forums/supercharg...ild-works.html
https://maxima.org/forums/supercharg...02-maxima.html
And then there's Mattx's.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
RMT is your nest option as was stated earlier.

A32 & A33's have very similar undercarriages, so that;s why i included the 2 4th gen links.

RMT 3.5 4th gen - YouTube
https://maxima.org/forums/supercharg...ild-works.html
https://maxima.org/forums/supercharg...02-maxima.html
And then there's Mattx's.
I like undercarriage because of the look but if i was to actually boost my car the only thing im afraid to do on my own is the oil lines set up, i have seen oiless turbos but havent done mich research. The turbo at the bottom of the car was just a way to make a simple turbo option and not have to run to much piping