5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear wheel well rust need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 06:55 PM

Rear wheel well rust need suggestions

Hey everyone,

New to these forums. I've got a 03 maxima se with really bad rear wheel well rust. I paid only $1600 for the car is has 1444xx miles on it and this is the only thing it needs besides a little golf ball sized dent repaired and to get a new a/c compressor. Anyone know a shop here in south jersey that would be able to repair this or has anyone brought theirs to a body shop to have this repaired? if so how much did it run you? Its like this on both sides and I want to have this maxima last me. I don't want to sand it and make new ones out of bondo or anything. I'm assuming it would have to be cut and have a new one re-welded considering I don't see any bolts or anything of that nature. I know how to work on cars and am a mechanic by trade although body work sucks and that is just a skill that Im unable to acquire haha. Let me know. Picture is attached of the passenger rear, and the driver rear is the exact same on that side. I hope this wouldn't cost much because I've seen a similar car with their rears cut and re-welded so I'm looking toward something like that. Thanks again everyone!

-Antonio
Attached Thumbnails Rear wheel well rust need suggestions-img_2733.jpg  
Old 07-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Bad *** Newb

Lower rad support is shot, too (since they're almost never replaced).
You're likely gonna double the cost of the car getting it fixed.

obligatory: get rid of the precats
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Lower rad support is shot, too (since they're almost never replaced).
You're likely gonna double the cost of the car getting it fixed.

obligatory: get rid of the precats
where did you get anything about my lower rad support? lol theres no rust on this car beside there. it was taken care of besides that portion lol. thank you though? And why would i get rid of my precats? Need it fixed btw I want to keep my car.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by antnvlz1294
where did you get anything about my lower rad support? lol theres no rust on this car beside there. it was taken care of besides that portion lol. thank you though? And why would i get rid of my precats? Need it fixed btw I want to keep my car.
Go look and behold (especially on the backside) It's very rare for the rear to be rusted and not the rad support, too. Hell, rad support can be rusted to pieces and minimal rust if any on the rear.

Precats make engine go Name:  tN0gLbj.gif
Views: 178
Size:  486.6 KB

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 07-06-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:02 PM

I was also going to ask about the rad support lol. I looked a a max a while back, wheel wells looked like that and rad support was completely rusted through. No bueno
Old 07-06-2016, 09:17 PM

You should listen to these two guys (Child_... and Corn_... ). They know what they are talking about, but they are a bit terse, so I'll expand:
  • If your rear wheel wells are rusted, then it's all but certain your lower rad support is also rusted (unless it was already replaced).
  • The rad support is more important than the wheel wells - it holds the cross-member which supports the engine.
  • A VERY common problem with the 2002-2003 Maximas (hence, your car) is that the pre-cats wear out, disintegrate, and ruin the engine. Needless to say, the repair is VERY expensive ... .
  • You should figure out the status of these three problem areas on your car before you attempt any expensive repairs. All three of them. Only then can you make a good decision re. what to fix when&how, or whether to fix it at all, and how much money to spend.
Good luck!

Last edited by maxiiiboy; 07-06-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:29 AM

Going along with the rad support talk... I also got my wheel wells touched up before realizing how bad my rad support was. It wasn't horrible, nor were my wheel wells, but it was close to the breaking point when I found it, and I had it repaired. My first repair was more of a patch job which turned into a headache later, but any sort of repair to that support should be prioritized. It might as well just be for peace of mind if anything.

Pre-cats are also a thing. Try to just get away with gutting them and make sure your main catalytic converter is good. I had similar miles to your Maxima when I had mine removed, had no problems before and my car was well maintained without notable oil burning (lucky lucky), but it can become a serious problem right around where our mileage sits.

BUT. On your topic. The wheel well rust can be tough. Yours are a lot worse than mine were. Someone on this forum has a thread where they purchased fender flares that were pre-cut for our Maximas and rebuilt their wheel wells with the flare. They essentially trimmed off the rust and patched it into the remaining metal, sanded it down, and painted it. Looked very good and it mimics the original shape very well. The fender flares are on ebay for between 50 and 100 bucks, and definitely are better used for rebuilding our cars than as flashy chrome trim.

Here's the thread with the fix this guy used https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ml#post8117408

Last edited by Cotozic; 07-07-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:49 AM

honestly the precat thing is not common. lets just get that straight. i removed my originals at 184k and not one lick of anything was deteriorated , i think it can disintegrate on cars that are beat on and driven spirited often.

it may be more than rare, but not common imho

and how do you know so much about rust Child_Uv-Korn ? i thought u were in florida ?
Old 07-07-2016, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
  • If your rear wheel wells are rusted, then it's all but certain your lower rad support is also rusted (unless it was already replaced).
  • The rad support is more important than the wheel wells - it holds the cross-member which supports the engine.
  • A problem with the 2002-2003 Maximas (hence, your car) is that the pre-cats wear out, disintegrate, and ruin the engine. Needless to say, the repair is VERY expensive ... .
  • You should figure out the status of these three problem areas on your car before you attempt any expensive repairs. All three of them. Only then can you make a good decision re. what to fix when&how, or whether to fix it at all, and how much money to spend.
cliffnotes, make sure the money pit you are dumping into is worth it and dosen't have holes in it.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:01 AM

I can attest to the rad support. I am the original owner of a 2k SE that has been babied by my wife since we purchased it. With 128k miles showing, the rad support is much worse than I ever expected. While poking around the a33 Maximas at the local pick-n-pull I found the rust on those cars make my car look great. Also, the rust on the rear wheels of my 2k only really started aggressively during the past two years.

You can see pics of my car here ---> https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...-supports.html
Old 07-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
honestly the precat thing is not common. lets just get that straight. i removed my originals at 184k and not one lick of anything was deteriorated , i think it can disintegrate on cars that are beat on and driven spirited often.

and how do you know so much about rust Child_Uv-Korn ? i thought u were in florida ?
No, you were just lucky/hwy miles. They're all over CL here starting at about 150k. Driven hard, it'll be dead long before then. Bad maf or O2 sensor would greatly accelerate it by running even more rich.
Precats came in the trunk of a car a friend recently purchased (headers were put on several years ago) and even those were starting disintegrate (estimate about 100k on them).
For every member on here that's seen it, there's gonna be tons more that junked the car and/or didn't even know. Some people replace the motors and throw the cats back on, then junk the car when the new motor dies. They never had a clue.

Florida? Nah, but there sure are some meth heads here, too.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 07-07-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:14 AM

No, you were just lucky/hwy miles. They're all over CL here starting at about 150k. Driven hard, it'll be dead long before then. Bad maf or O2 sensor would greatly accelerate it by running even more rich.
Precats came in the trunk of a car a friend recently purchased (headers were put on several years ago) and even those were starting disintegrate (estimate about 100k on them).
For every member on here that's seen it, there's gonna be tons more that junked the car and/or didn't even know. Some people replace the motors and throw the cats back on, then junk the car when the new motor dies. They never had a clue.

understood, thanks for the info, and makes a lot of sense, all the people not on the org caring for a care like an org member would, and the maf thing makes sense too.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Head to a salvage yard and remove the front two fenders from a 2000-2003 Maxima. These can be used for the metal for the rears. The curvature is very similar. Have them cut out the bad metal in the rear and use the new fender metal to weld in.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:01 PM

I must just be the unluckiest person in the world then. 3 maximas and all 3 had bad precats. Also I worked on a young girls 02 maxima and her precats NEEDED to be replaced.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by losifanatic
I must just be the unluckiest person in the world then. 3 maximas and all 3 had bad precats. Also I worked on a young girls 02 maxima and her precats NEEDED to be replaced.
hey, don't get confused. bad precats are one thing by themselves, all cars have this issue, its almost a standard maintenance thing with long term car owners.

BUT....i must clarify, I could bet all those instances did not all have engine failure due to the precats disintegrating and being sucked in etc..... so don't put the two issues together.

in other words out of your few examples which engines are still running? ? see what i mean.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:13 PM

aka, you can have bad precats, and still have an engine afterwards.

not all bad precats destroy engines. im just saying.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:25 PM

aka, you can have bad precats, and still have an engine afterwards.

not all bad precats destroy engines. im just saying.
Agreed.
I got very lucky with my current 03. I pulled the cats and it was so torn up. No ses light or anything. Pulled a hand full of disintegrated cat out.
My daughter's 03 was missing chunks out of the precats
I lost a 03 spec v motor due to the cat disintegrating
Old 07-07-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by HerBlue2kSE
I can attest to the rad support. I am the original owner of a 2k SE that has been babied by my wife since we purchased it. With 128k miles showing, the rad support is much worse than I ever expected. While poking around the a33 Maximas at the local pick-n-pull I found the rust on those cars make my car look great. Also, the rust on the rear wheels of my 2k only really started aggressively during the past two years.

You can see pics of my car here ---> https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...-supports.html
well for a rad support replacement, lucky for me my brother just had our uncle replace his rad support on his 01 altima. He can weld i unfortunately cannot lol... so i guess I'll just throw $100 his way. Is this what i need to replace it?...(see link below)

http://www.getallparts.com/Nissan-Ma...rHLhoCIArw_wcB
Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM

How can I tell if i need another pre cat or if mine is bad? I don't really smell anything or hear any knocking of any sort... Its at least $200 for a replacement one and I don't want to replace it if i don't need to. Also I heard the horror stories about removing it and stripping/breaking it. Even one guy claims it took over 10 hours to remove and replace so...
Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Bad *** Newb

hey, don't get confused. bad precats are one thing by themselves, all cars have this issue, its almost a standard maintenance thing with long term car owners.

BUT....i must clarify, I could bet all those instances did not all have engine failure due to the precats disintegrating and being sucked in etc..... so don't put the two issues together.

in other words out of your few examples which engines are still running? ? see what i mean.
They absolutely did. The engine will not last long. Oil burning will increase until it runs dry and the motor is toast. Even if you keep topping it off, it'll start burning a quart every 500 miles...or less. A few likely met their death from overheating or oil leaks (or burning from valve stems) before the precats finished em off, but that would be a minority. Precat aside, the VQ35 is very reliable and durable.

See EVERY single qr25 that did not get a header or at least new precat before oil burning went insane. I see tons of them on CL still. There's not many left even lol.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 07-07-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
Head to a salvage yard and remove the front two fenders from a 2000-2003 Maxima. These can be used for the metal for the rears. The curvature is very similar. Have them cut out the bad metal in the rear and use the new fender metal to weld in.
will this work even though theres rusting building beside the doors as well on the wheel well? Its the wheel well but it goes almost to where the doors meet..
Old 07-07-2016, 01:35 PM

They absolutely did. The engine will not last long. Oil burning will increase until it runa dry and the motor is toast. Even if you keep topping it off, it'll start burning a quarter every 500 miles...or less.

See EVERY single qr25 that did not get a header or at least new precat before oil burning went insane. I see tons of them on CL still. There's not many left even lol.
Should I just pull the damn precat and check then? I'm going to assume theres only one since this is a 6cyl... or is there a forward and aft header type set up? once its removed what should i do afterward? I don't really have the $200 to replace a part that isn't needed this very moment.. as for engines theres a few around here that have 90k miles for Roughly $350...
Old 07-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Bad *** Newb

Should I just pull the damn precat and check then? I'm going to assume theres only one since this is a 6cyl... or is there a forward and aft header type set up? once its removed what should i do afterward? I don't really have the $200 to replace a part that isn't needed this very moment.. as for engines theres a few around here that have 90k miles for Roughly $350...
Pull both manifolds, gut em, stick em back on and use nonfoulers to keep the CEL off. Tons of threads if you need more info.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:48 PM

Pull both manifolds, gut em, stick em back on and use nonfoulers to keep the CEL off. Tons of threads if you need more info.
Its my first maxima. Gutting them and removing and reinstalling won't be an issue although could you post a link for a walkthrough? never worked on a maxima before so id just like to familiarize myself... also where can i get a set of nonfoulers and what happens when inspection time comes? they're pretty rough here in nj...
Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM

well for a rad support replacement, lucky for me my brother just had our uncle replace his rad support on his 01 altima. He can weld i unfortunately cannot lol... so i guess I'll just throw $100 his way. Is this what i need to replace it?...(see link below)

http://www.getallparts.com/Nissan-Ma...rHLhoCIArw_wcB

you're going to want to get OEM nissan for that

http://nissanpartsasap.com/nissanpar...artcode=62530M

aftermarket have a bad reputation, typically have a thinner metal and fail quickly
Old 07-07-2016, 02:33 PM

I have bad rear well rust just like yours (probably worse), and my lower rad support was gone. Cost $225 labor and whatever the oem part cost (can't remember now....$180?). I found the best deal on ebay.

I'd suggest doing the lower rad support, then gut the precats, then fix the fenders.

Originally Posted by cornholio
you're going to want to get OEM nissan for that

http://nissanpartsasap.com/nissanpar...artcode=62530M

aftermarket have a bad reputation, typically have a thinner metal and fail quickly
this man speaks truth, you need oem the aftermarket ones won't last - search and you'll find several threads where ppl didn't listen and they had to re-do with oem. Some guys have used angle iron and fabbed something themselves....search and you will find answers.

edit: to your original question, the cost for fenders really depends on how far you want to go. I've looked into it as well and the lowest price I could find was $500 for both rears and some guys were like $3500. All different ways and methods for how far you wanna take it.

Last edited by TSelanne; 07-07-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:34 PM

Its my first maxima. Gutting them and removing and reinstalling won't be an issue although could you post a link for a walkthrough? never worked on a maxima before so id just like to familiarize myself... also where can i get a set of nonfoulers and what happens when inspection time comes? they're pretty rough here in nj...
Clearly, you need to find out what the tests and conditions are for passing the inspection in your state.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by TSelanne
I have bad rear well rust just like yours (probably worse), and my lower rad support was gone. Cost $225 labor and whatever the oem part cost (can't remember now....$180?). I found the best deal on ebay.

I'd suggest doing the lower rad support, then gut the precats, then fix the fenders.

this man speaks truth, you need oem the aftermarket ones won't last - search and you'll find several threads where ppl didn't listen and they had to re-do with oem. Some guys have used angle iron and fabbed something themselves....search and you will find answers.

edit: to your original question, the cost for fenders really depends on how far you want to go. I've looked into it as well and the lowest price I could find was $500 for both rears and some guys were like $3500. All different ways and methods for how far you wanna take it.
Well what method for your fenders did you use? Also do I need radiator support assembly or lower rad support? I also found another maxima for sale for $600 with clean rears. It only need the rad support and probably a new engine.. He said it burns oil and smokes. Maybe I'll have better luck just buying that, swapping this engine into that and selling this one as a shell..
Old 07-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Bad *** Newb

You can also use an O2 sim (gotta find one) and hide it under the engine cover, then they can't visually find anything wrong.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:42 PM

Well what method for your fenders did you use? Also do I need radiator support assembly or lower rad support? I also found another maxima for sale for $600 with clean rears. It only need the rad support and probably a new engine.. He said it burns oil and smokes. Maybe I'll have better luck just buying that, swapping this engine into that and selling this one as a shell..
just the lower. MAYBE the center piece (part 62515 in that link) IF it's in real bad shape, but the lower is probably enough
Old 07-07-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by cornholio
just the lower. MAYBE the center piece (part 62515 in that link) IF it's in real bad shape, but the lower is probably enough
It's not even as bad as I though a little rusty. But it's just that lower piece is that just one giant bar?...
Old 07-07-2016, 05:36 PM

It's not even as bad as I though a little rusty. But it's just that lower piece is that just one giant bar?...
pretty much

here's another thread with some pics of old and new:
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...r-support.html

here's one of another creative fix:
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...port-ever.html

search "radiator support" and theres plenty more threads out there on it, the 4th and 5th gen information should be similar (identical?)
Old 07-07-2016, 05:38 PM

also if it's not that bad you could leave it alone for now. we were just suggesting you take a closer seeing how bad that rust was on the wheel well.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:14 AM

op i am in PA, and gutted myself, and using O2 Sim, we are similar to NJ laws.

search around the org, there are a couple threads on the O2 sims and a how to by puppet master that i followed, there is no clear how to for the actual gutting but biggest advice is get a good powered drill (non battery) and an 18" wood drill bit, and a way to clamp / hold the precats down while you drill them.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:36 AM

op i am in PA, and gutted myself, and using O2 Sim, we are similar to NJ laws.

search around the org, there are a couple threads on the O2 sims and a how to by puppet master that i followed, there is no clear how to for the actual gutting but biggest advice is get a good powered drill (non battery) and an 18" wood drill bit, and a way to clamp / hold the precats down while you drill them.
Essentially if I drill the material out.. Won't my fuel change and won't it be a lot louder....?
Old 07-08-2016, 08:57 AM

Essentially if I drill the material out.. Won't my fuel change and won't it be a lot louder....?
please research so you can understand the pros the cons, the process.

it will not be much louder, there are 4 pieces of exhaust after the precats. pieces closer to the end will change the noise, or completely changing the precats to headers will change the noise.

fuel change? no, performance ?.... not really its negligible,
Old 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM

Haven't done my rear fenders yet....... they look awful.....I really do need to get on that. Last week I pushed my finger thru the bottom of the rocker, so I gotta do those too. Rust is really bad on this one I'm looking at some pretty expensive repairs.....gotta love snow/salt country!

Like others have said you probably just need the lower. That's all I did, rest was fine. Search around I posted the oem part # and link in another thread.

If your current '03 doesn't burn oil (or very little) I'd keep it and fix it instead of buying another one. Having an constant oil burner sucks. Just my humble opinion.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:00 AM

Here in Jersey they just check the OBDII connector for any codes. It must be ready, no codes and the car will pass.

As far as the cats, the daughter's with 255k miles, original cats, has the non foulers on one side and it's been good for the last 5 years, but they haven't broken up. I'd certainly let the cats be as they are unless the cat code appears then take care of the problem, but make certain that the previous owner hasn't doctored the emission system to not show any deficient cat codes.

Back to the OP question, to fix the rust on the qt's, if you can't do it yourself it will probably cost as much, if not more than the car is worth. Many years ago I cut the rust out on the P/S, welded in new pieces and low and behold, the rust has returned around the repair to the point that the metal is disintegrating, and now D/S has @ 3" diameter area.

Take a look at the rad support, and if not severely rusted will last quite a while.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Here in Jersey they just check the OBDII connector for any codes. It must be ready, no codes and the car will pass.

As far as the cats, the daughter's with 255k miles, original cats, has the non foulers on one side and it's been good for the last 5 years, but they haven't broken up. I'd certainly let the cats be as they are unless the cat code appears then take care of the problem, but make certain that the previous owner hasn't doctored the emission system to not show any deficient cat codes.

Back to the OP question, to fix the rust on the qt's, if you can't do it yourself it will probably cost as much, if not more than the car is worth. Many years ago I cut the rust out on the P/S, welded in new pieces and low and behold, the rust has returned around the repair to the point that the metal is disintegrating, and now D/S has @ 3" diameter area.

Take a look at the rad support, and if not severely rusted will last quite a while.
It doesn't have to throw a code to be bad. They can still be functioning and disintegrating at the same time. Ask me how i know.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:03 PM

It doesn't have to throw a code to be bad. They can still be functioning and disintegrating at the same time. Ask me how i know.
How do you know?
Just kidding, but it is possible that the core disintegrate but throw no P0420 code, but if the exhaust were to be blocked, their definitely would be a drive-ability issue and possibly another code, but not necessarily.
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel well rust need suggestions